An Idea for an economic experiment.

Discussion in 'Activism' started by Reverand JC, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Collective organized inaction. Decide upon a date. Then for 24 hours don't bank. Don't write a check. Don't use your credit card. Don't use your ATM. If you do have to make a transaction with another individual do it in cash. The day before said date withdraw all of the money you are going to need for one day. One person won't make much of a dent. But if you can get at least 2 people to do it and they can get at least 2 people to do it etc. If it goes world wide it becomes like a rolling black out.

The banks have been doing unethical things with our money for years. Take one day to really show them who is boss. If you get enough people doing this it may make the banks sweat a little. They have been keeping money hostage for years. It is time to take them hostage.

Personally I'd like to see what would happen.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

It would make a bigger impact if we all could do that for a month... live that month in strict economy using only what is needed.

Credit cards ought to be phased out of most peoples personal finances as the agreements boil down to being as predatory as the law allows. Same thing with cell phone contracts.

3. Reverand JC

I know but it is easier to get people to do it for one day than for one month. If you can get 80,000 people in the United States alone that is 20,000 in each time zone that is still alot. start small. Start with one day one month. Then 2 days the next month then 3 the next month etc. Until it is a week. It will definately fuck with them. Especially if one day a month alot of money gets withdrawn then activities on those accounts cease.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

4. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

if this were to happen and a significant dent were to happen with the bank, thats not a very self conscious thing for us to do.
    banks are ponzi schemes, they rely on people continually being brought in money and being ignorant (while taking interest as profit). so if a significant amount were to be taken out of bank of america for example, it might just tell everyone else with the same bank, "take your money out before you lose a bunch, or maybe all of it" so they will, and it becomes a snowball effect in which many people will benefit (us for keeping money) and other people are at loss. and in turn that affects economy.
    so as i agree banks are evil, there are better ways of protest

no, money has been doing unethical things to humans for many years.

5. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

If the bank has less money to be ethical or unethical with, because of their need to function as a entity- they will turn to the investment market for help. With investment markets, there's a little thing called interest

and if you can't pay the interest, because of people not using the banking system, credit rates rise. As you can see this would cause big problems for everybody involved, here in the UK we have a deficit that can't be paid because of an extortionate about of borrowing.

Everybody's big fuck you to the banks will, if a plan like this could ever be successful on a longer scale, cause inflation, bail outs, tax rises and probably a few job losses. In other words, recession.

6. Reverand JC

I was initially proposing one day to one week. Just enough to be seen.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

When gas was 5 dollars a gallon everyone tried to organize these protests for the gas companies and it never worked. Not enough people ever participated and many of the people that did didn't cut their consumption down, they just got their gas the day before or the day after. I see the same thing happening with this.

I think the most practical thing to do concerning banks is simply bank with a small local bank instead of a huge corporate bank.

8. The Imaginary Being

That would be pointless, it wouldn't change anything. The banks will always be funded, if not by us then by somebody else.

So long as they don't lose my money, which when the banks collapsed there was bigger a risk, they can do whatever they like with it.

9. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

content beings dont change without a threat, and i don't think a day to a week will effect them. if anything the bank will result to investments like imaginary being said, and it'll make the economy slightly more stiff and difficult.

if people were to boycott banks, it should be a certain bank, or certain banks for specific regulations or rules. that'd be more effective for change.

10. Reverand JC

Call me weird though. When the banks were in trouble my attitude was "Burn baby burn." I thought that at the very least some of the people I owed money to would go tits up. I think a week would be enough to make the industry sweat a little. The bailout was supposed to get them to change their ways but it didn't. From my perspective I don't have a bank account so not going to the bank is easy for me. From what I've seen the traditional means of protest don't work with these fuckers. You can march and chant and be arrested. You can try to sit and block their doorway they will just step over you. Hit them where it hurts.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

11. The Imaginary Being

God, grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can;
    And wisdom to know the difference.

12. Reverand JC

OK here is a publicity stunt that cost a very large company quite a bit of money in investment:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlUQ2sUti8o"]YouTube - the yes men

All it takes is something to happen to make a bank to stop making money from customers to scare the shit out of investors.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

13. Reverand JC

Here they are talking about that stunt:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhFWp2KOtY"]YouTube - yesmanonDN2

Peace Out,
    Rev J

14. The Imaginary Being

When something scares the shit out of investors, they ask for more interest. It's pretty silly, considering a person with a low credit rating or a company with less liquidity is less likely to be able to pay them back.

But anyways, I agree with the fact the banks need to learn some lessons.

15. Reverand JC

The thing is that there has been enough of a scare before this they have been saying they will reform and haven't and even if they raise interest rates they can't get blood from stones and the government has said they won't get more money. It will starve the top. It is basic Archetecture if the bottom level goes the whole thing collapses. Big business has had their foot on the throats of the people since the middle ages the thing is because of that if you are on the bottom and have nothing to really lose you can change the whole system.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

16. The Imaginary Being

I suppose we will look at it a little differently because of our own place of residence. I mean, we owe a credit total of one trillion pounds as a means of interest here in the UK. That's only the deficit, which is getting one hundred and seventy eight billion pounds larger per annum. Then, once that's paid, then we have the actual loan to repay.

This is all because of the banks giving out too much money because interest rates were very low at one point not so long ago. I have little confidence in messing with the bank right now- each and every Briton is shaky about this topic! :D

AND i'm studying economics, majoring in accountancy, so if the market goes belly up where's my cushy job? :p

17. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

the problem is the fundamentals of the system itself. banks are inevitable and inevitably never going to reform to suit what the common man wants.

and when people like imaginary talk about deficits and loans, that's inevitable too. you can't have money without debt. where there is money, debt is everywhere else. to make money in the first place creates more debt than actual money due to interest. so to fight debt with more money is just stupid. thats slightly off topic but w/e

a huge reform that surpasses money itself needs to take place to truly get rid of banks, and to truly make an economy that supports the common man. the best way to go about that is educating not really messing up the economy for everyone else.
    well actually the original idea isnt that bad of an idea now that i think about it lol but i think its go big or go home

18. Reverand JC

You cats should check out a documentary called "America Freedom to Facism". It is about the national debt and income tax it's pretty eye opening.
    I love Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N331kGvh0U0"]YouTube - Official Trailer for AMERICA: FREEDOM TO FASCISM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NpTVXitOQk"]YouTube - America:Freedom to Fascism

Peace Out,
    Rev J

19. The Imaginary Being

Heh, the highest rate of suicide amidst a work force is in accountancy

but for the life of me I cannot understand why. I love economics and every branch of it :D

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

i was screaming burn baby burn from the rooftops at every single company saved by the bailout when that was all happening. The bailout went against every single principle ingrained in a free market capitalistic economy, and the government used scare tactics in order to get the bailout passed. They churned out rhetoric about a complete economic collapse if the bailout was not passed; bullshit, I say. In a free-market economy, when one company fails, five more rise up from the ashes to take its place. Thats the law of supply and demand, thats economics 101 and our government completely ignored that most basic principle. Out of all the fucked up shit America has done since 9/11, I think the bailouts make me sickest of all.