What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dirtyhippycommiebastard, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I already started reading the second one. =p I'm only 4 chapters in. I can't believe he's already lost his fingers and toe to some lobster type create that I can't picture. I was thinking it was maybe quite large, like a cat size or more. Maybe a pig size. But I think it may have been little. :D

There are some funny lines in it though that come out of nowehere. He's the only guy I've read so far that randomly just throws something about his balls in there. Like it means nothing to anything but he's just throwing it out there about how his balls feel. Lol.

It's weird. I develop a "voice" for a book I read. A "tone" as well. Since I have only ever seen the movies based on King books (and they all are terrible and suck hugely except maybe Green Mile" I just always pictured him as horror. I think the voice in my head as I read is a mediumly deep voice, very stern. I don't have the impression of humor as I read. I'm starting to feel maybe I should take them a little less serious.

I actually read Neil Gaiman in the exact same context yet when he co-wrote with Pritchard, I thought it was upbeat and amusing.

1 person likes this.
  2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I just started Faith vs. Fact: Why Science And Religion Are Incompatible by Jerry A. Coyne. It is his opinion that attempts to make religion compatible with science are doomed fail. I'm not very far into it yet so it is too early for me to tell whether of not it is worth reading.

[​IMG]

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I might be interested in that, let us know if it's worth reading!

1 person likes this.
  4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Technological Singularity - Murray Shanahan

5. DeputyHawk

DeputyHawk Members

Philosophy in the Bedroom by Marquis De Sade

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

"The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins

7. Daretobare

Daretobare Member

Supermensch by Shep Gordon

8. fundoo

fundoo Members

interesting!
    I've never READ Stephen King either, but thinking i ought too! I keep hearing about these movie adaptations or references in shows and well, I've seen The Secret Window movie and I just love love loooooved it! (oh, and The Tommyknockers I liked as a youngster, of course, The Shining, and, omg The Running Man was SK too!!) So, yeah. Plus, I mean, I am not typically into the horror genre, but i recently read a Dean Koontz novel. Figuring what I've enjoyed about King based films, and what you've said here, that I could probably handle it.

Yeah, so any other recommendations, folks??

9. Lvlygrl

Lvlygrl Members

I dont think Stephen Kings books are all that scary. He writes excellent books, but I wouldn't categorize them as horror.
    If you want to read a couple of good ones from him, try reading the Shining (really different from the movie) then follow up with Dr.Sleep. I really liked Dr.Sleep. There's also the Talisman then after Black House. Those 2 seem to be more adventure based though.
    I know there are tons of better books he writes but out of all the books I read from him, those two sets stuck with me.

1 person likes this.
  10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Tolstoy's Anna Karenina

11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The Response to Industrialism 1885 - 1914.
    [​IMG]

Very good....shades of what's happening today.

12. fjdreams

fjdreams count chocula

Keira Knightley dies at the end

13. sae68

sae68 Members

Alive by Piers Paul Read.
    It's about the Uruguayan Rugby team on Flight 571 that crashed in the Andes in 1972.The survivors stayed alive by eating the dead.An amazing true story of the will to survive.

1 person likes this.
  14. morrow

morrow Visitor

Gitta Sereny

.. cries unheard!

The story of Mary Bell.

One of the recent threads about child crimes, inspired me to track it down.
    She is about the same age as me, and i remember the crimes, she killed two little boys when she was little!
    This is her life story! Her own childhood, i cant believe what it was like for her, no wonder she was warped!

15. sae68

sae68 Members

I bet that's pretty Harrowing Morrow. :book:

16. morrow

morrow Visitor

It's unbelievable that she was treated as she was, before she killed them, but don't make what she did acceptable, but gives you more insight into why she did what she did!
    She was let down badly!
    Can't imagine why a mother, a prostitute! Would allow men to tie up and gag a 5 year old, and younger! Then rape her! What must she have thought of grown ups? They let her down, and the authorities, i hope they all hung their heads in shame!

17. sae68

sae68 Members

God i couldn't read that.It would give me nightmares.This evil still goes on too :(

18. morrow

morrow Visitor

It's the phycologist in me ;) the analyser!

Lol give me a bone, i wont just pick it..Is what my parents used to say!

19. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. Somehow I overlooked it as a kid.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Is it a children's book?

Sometimes I think children's books are so much richer than adult novels. i've often marveled that while I still love to read, my love for reading will never again equal the love for reading I had when I was a child. And I dont think it is because I love reading less, but because the books were so much more as a child. I think authors trust children as their audience more, they know they can be more imaginative and emotive than when writing for adults