I'm a 7th grade drop-out, is there hope for me?!

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Hagigat, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Cornflakes

Cornflakes Member

Try Americorps.. they'll help pay for your college afterwards

2. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

You will be okay, you already have more education than some multi millionaires, and it is getting hard to find anyone that doesn't share some kind of personality challenge, addiction, depression, etc.

3. goldmund

goldmund Member

I dropped out when I was 14, lived in Humboldt, Mendocino, Eugene ORE, and on Grateful Dead tour for 4 years before getting my GED, enrolling in college, earning 2 BA degrees and a teaching credential. I have been teaching high school students for 4 years (I am 27).
    As commented on by an earlier poster, your writing style says so much about your intellegence and your definate ability to succeed in college. I wouldn't even study for your GED. It's easy. Just take it! If you fail, you could always study and take it again.

Of course there is more to say. PM me if you want to say hello to someone who can relate.

4. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I agree with Goldmund, my roomate did just that, never opened the book, wrote the test and in 2 hours he got two years of school done.

And, also, I really admire what you have done Goldmund. Way to go.
    Your story impressed me greatly, and I am sure it will inspire others.

definite
    intelligence
    lol

5. goldmund

goldmund Member

lol. I never said that I was definately intellegent! :). Thanks to computers, I certainly can't spell.

6. PokeSmot

PokeSmot Member

start sellin coke now

7. goldmund

goldmund Member

cook it down. crack has a higher mark up.

8. Abyle

Abyle Member

Look up the phone number for American School (that's the name) in Lansig, IL. You pay per course and you'll eventually get your high school degree. You simply mail in each test. If you flunk a test, they'll mail it back to you until you get a passing grade. You'll end up with an IL high school diploma and you can work on it when you want to. I got my high school degree this way.

To you people who have been negative: I hope you're ashamed of being such total bastards, but I doubt you're smart enough to be cogniscient of someone else's feelings, you self-absorbed pricks.

9. goldmund

goldmund Member

While I don't know how important it is, in reality, to have a high school diploma, I have to put down that I got my GED every time I fill out a resumé. While not too important, it does raise eyebrows for some. Nevertheless, with the amount of school you've missed, you would do better to make up that time in college.

I forgot to mention before when I lived in Humboldt/Mendocino, I lived way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere. I was only able to see a GED advisor once and it took me 1 1/2 hours to get there (I drove in a car without my license). Needless to say, i wasn't going there too often. Just take the frickin' test. it is soooo easy. Your writing skills are good, and I assume your reading comprehension is the same. You might want to brush up on your math if you can. Otherwise, don't worry about it. If you do poorly, you can always take it again.

10. Gabriel227

Gabriel227 Guest

Im surprised. I thought I was the only one. Unfortunately, I "dropped out" of school after the seventh grade, except it was much different for me. Well, is much different for me. I am now 18, and the past 10 years of my life (and still counting) have been both a blessing and a curse. 7 months after my 8th birthday, in September of 2001, two Boeing 747 "passenger aircrafts" were "hijacked" and crashed into the blah blah blah FUCKING BLAH! I'm sorry but that's bullshit. If anyone who reads this believes it's the truth, well, your wrong, your just to blind to see it. But it's not your fault, our government is the equivalent to a used car salesman. They do a great job keeping their paint sparkling and shining. But the engine ready to seize, and the transmission about to fail. But as long as they make the sell, there in the money. With they're shitty contracts (law & law enforcement M.M.M.C.,<-- look on Wikipedia mass media m.c., oil control, etc.), protecting them from any repercussions. God I'm rambling. Sorry, Anyway, 1 year before 9/11/01. My father was selling and building swimming pools for blue haven pools. And after quitting because he was tired of watching them make so much money, while he gets his average weekly paycheck. And couldn't see his wife come home and going straight to the bed and being OUT, for 24hrs, after a three day shift working in a nursing home caring for elderly patients 24/7. So he decided to get smart, and just like that, overnight, a business name DBA and a spot in the next home and garden show to start selling pools solo. And he did! It was great! I was just a little kid, and so proud. Seeing my dad happy, stress free, depositing $10,000 down payments in the bank every other day, 10K excavation payment the next day, gunite the next, tile & coping. And theres plenty more after that. Making plenty of money to live comfortably in a huge 4 bedroom house, In a typically middle class neighborhood, with good schools, and an overall great community. My mother quit her job and became a house wife. And me and my three siblings were having the time of our lives. We enjoyed school, we went to the mall every weekend with our friends, we went to a restaurant for dinner every other night. Our christmases were always nice, we got a few things we wanted most, and others we we didn't think we wanted, my parents didn't want to spoil us, and my father is a great teacher and mentor. he grew up in a hectic household, that at my young age, I had no knowledge of. He never wanted us to have to suffer, be Hungry, or be unhappy. But he also taught us that in some cases, sacrifices must be made. And there are more important things in life to learn other than how to beat a video game. But he never knew that our family was going to be making sacrifices for the rest of our lives. After 9/11 George Bush told the people to buy. "do not fear the enemy, don't let em' win, go out of your homes, spend money, be free." and the American people did, they spent money, alott of money, economy was stable, and we were in good shape as a small business. And then, things just started changing. It was like a boa was slowly tightening his grip on our family, around 2003 the economy hit a downfall, people were losing their jobs, couldn't pay off the home loans that their president told them to use. And were forced to move from their homes into apartments, some even moving their family's into budget suite hotels, like we had to. We were doing fine, until a man my father built a pool for a man, they had an agreement where he was to pay at completion, but refused to pay him the 30,000 dollars he indebted to us. My father went to the law, pleaded to the court for help. They laughed, told him it was a "civil matter" and there's nothing he can do but file a Lien on his property. Which means, if the man was to attempt to sell his house in 10 years, he would have to hunt my father down, and settle the debt before he could Put his house on the market. When that happened, my fathers perfect flow of business was suddenly halted, he wasn't Paid the $30,000, 60% of the money was to finish other customers projects, so my father couldn't finish them, so he couldn't get paid from the customer who were in good faith. So our rent didn't get paid, we didn't have food in the kitchen, the electric company shut off our power, angry customers came to our house threatening our family, for putting a whole in their ground and leaving it unfinished. We were evicted from our home, a family of six, with two dogs, moving into a 1 bedroom apartment, applying for food stamps. Our cars were towed, we couldn't pay the payments, and still struggling to pay the rent. Noonne would buy pools, because banks were failing, people couldnt get finances for home improvement. My father couldn't get hired in his only field of expertise, for the same reason. Soon enough we became a completely different family structure. Things had to be done to stay warm at night, and put food on the table. me and my brother and sisters were learning of things concerning our parents that they never wanted us to know, atleast until we understood, and are now ashamed for allowing us to be involved, even if it was just knowing, that they smoke a little "green leafy substance", habitually. My father was forced to cash bad checks to pay rent, and put food on the table for his children. He didn't care about his "credit history", as long as we had a roof over our head, we were fed, and we were in school. Most of the time, my parents wouldn't eat, so we could. Things got better for a while, economy was afloat again, and he was able to sell, but never as much as before, life was never the same. In 2005, we were stuck again, it was springtime, and business wasn't going steady yet, and we were running out of money. The money we did make just barely kept our head above water. And my father was looking for better options for business. He decided we would move out of state, and head west, where it's hotter, people want water. In holes. In their backyard. Makes sense right? So we did, we packed up, and hoped to god we succeeded. We headed for California. In Arizona, our U-haul's engine broke down on a stretch of highway in the desert, 50 miles of hot, dry, sandy desert in every direction. And tall mountains beyond that. My sister and her boyfriend drove 30 miles back to a tiny Indian reservation for oil, so we could try to beg the uhaul to get us to a checkpoint other than a 2 lane road In the heat. Thank god it worked! We went through the Hoover dam, which was cool, and stopped in Las Vegas, NV to rest. I'm sure you can guess that's the last thing we did! U-haul promised to pay for our hotel costs until the vehicle was replaced. So I won't lie, we didn't pull in to a motel 6. We got a luxury room in the Westinn! And we had some fun for two weeks waiting. It was summertime now, and my parents got comfortable, my dad did some talking, and before we knew it, people were asking for pools at the craps table, truthfully, it was the perfect environment for the business, just not for our family. we were shocked to find out that one must be licensed to contract in the state of Nevada. To bad my father found out when he was arrested for giving someone a business card. Charged with "unlawfully advertising without a license". Which is legal in the state we were from. So again, we were stuck. My father couldn't sell. We couldn't pay for a license because all the money went to bailing him out of jail. And again, we were being suffocated by the so called "American dream". The country has become a police state, run by unconstitutional laws, and enforced by the thug like mentality of the American gustapo we call police. Who today, treat us like criminals wether we forget to turn our blinker on, or shoot somebody in the face. To them, were all the same. We moved back to our home state with the help of distant relatives, hoping to seek comfort in the place we thought we were meant to be. We were wrong. Since 2006, we have struggled to survive. Doing everything possible. Even doing things we didn't want to do, like sell, steal, and lie, trick. There was no way school was possible, the motivation wasn't there, there was no money, and my father didn't want our minds to be corrupted by the schools faulted and byass structure, and the behavior modification Centers they really are. And truthfully, I don't regret a day of it. The things my family has been through together, have brought us closer than any other family in this country. No argument, fight, Or mistake, could break the bond we have now with each other. Weve been at the top together, and the deepest darkest bottom together, and we are stronger because of that. When I found out my parents did drugs, CPS tried to take me and my siblings away from them. I couldn't believe that a country built on the basis of freedom and prosperity. Is now a place, where if you don't succeed the way they want you to, you will be frowned upon, and punished. My father told them to "Fuck off". And we dissapeared from their watchful eye. I couldn't think of a better way to say it myself. If someone came into my home, and tried to take my children, because they found out I smoked pot, because we were forced into a compact home, because the court couldn't help us obtain what was rightfully ours. I would say Go Fuck Yourself. And Im now 18, and in no way am I damaged from knowing they smoked pot. That's not traumatic, IT'S HILLARIOUS! The worst thing it caused, I started smoking pot. And none of us are drug addicts, we don't buy drugs, unless the bills are paid. And if the bills need to be paid, we don't buy drugs, it's that simple. No withdrawal, no need, no addiction. If theres pot, there's pot, if there's none, there's none. Any ways, to sum it all up, we've been trying to run a business for years, its not working, my fathers age is effecting him, he can't work like he used to. It's practically impossible for me to advance in life. I can't even obtain my State ID. My birth certificate has to be corrected, but to do that I need 3 forms of ID. I don't have 1. Thanks to the laws that suffocate this "free country", and the torture it has forced my family to endure over the course of our lives. But I can tell you that, if you, like me, WANT to learn, and WANT, to be educated. Your mind will help you understand things in a rational point of view. For some reason, I was forced out of school in the 7th Grade, but constantly complimented for being so intelligent, and intellectual. I call it, common sense, my gift from god. I'm not worthless because I didn't finish school, I have passions, Ive been educated by my family. And if there was something I could see myself succeeding in, I educated myself. I know I'm smart, and that my skills can take me places. But there's no way for me to get out and try. I don't have a "diploma" or a "degree", I never "graduated" anything. But I know I'm worth more than I'm being made out to be. I'm just stuck. Stuck in clintonland, or bushland, or obamaland. Harvardland, Yaleland, Whatever you want to call this country. I just know it's not America, and it's not Free. And noone cares, they just let it happen infront of them. And tell there kids it's good to cheer when the man who killed all those people in the buildings has been executed, with a gunshot to the face, with his wife listening upstairs. " yay daddy, bin laden is dead, we got him we got him, we killed him daddy!" " yes, son I know, that's how America does it. Were ruthless murderers just like bin laden, we don't show an example, we get even." that's our country now. And it wouldn't sound that bad, if all of you could see through the governments smoke and mirrors. Bin laden didn't take those buildings down. George W. Bush, and Dick Cheney did. They just needed a reason to start a war, so they could invade foreign land, and start raping other country's for oil, with a gun to thier kids heads. WELCOME TO AMERICA FOLKS!!!!:love:

11. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

Bump a six-year-old thread with an unreadable wall of text... cool.

12. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

Gotta find out what the OP ended up doing.

13. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Did hagigat ever get his diploma? I'm curious.

If I'd been here 6 years ago.... I'd have said FUCK ged's..... in that situation, get free tutoring (such as online) and go the local high school, take every class you can at once and power thru, they might even let you take classes with competing times by special arrangement with the teachers.