Differences between Yippies and Hippies?

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by Padme, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Padme

Padme Member

I was wondering what was the ideological and lifestyle differences between Yippies (Abbie Hoffmann) and regular Hippies?

2. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

As I see it - the Yippies (ie Abbie Hoffmann) were a radically youth-oriented group with at least a rudimentary organization. Yippies frequently participated in various social demonstrations such as the anti-war movement. They pulled outrageous pranks to focus attention on their causes.
    Hippies, as a rule, had no organization. There focus was more on love and peace than on organized activism. They could be considered far more laid back. Often live and let live.
    They focused more on the drug culture and were often a political - very much against war and oppression but on at a far lower key that were Yippies. Hippies (of which I considered myself) were simply totally blown away by man killing man - it made no sense. Leary said "Turn on, Tune in and Drop out.

Hippies were the type B & C personalities of the movement. Yippies were the type A's.

3. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I'm not old but I always saw it this way: Yippies were serious, hippies were having fun.

4. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The term yippie stood for "Youth In Politics", in other words the yippies were political activists.

5. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

And in Russian yip means fuck. Just saying.

Peace Out,
    Rev J