These interactive ads are driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Carlfloydfan, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Does anyone know what I am talking about, interactive ads?

They seem to be popping up every where on the Internet these days, and start playing without my permission. Sometimes they are hard to find and disable, especially since 2-3 may be playing on one bloody page at a time. What a pain in the ass!

I use opera, how can you disable these damn things and block them?

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Check your computer for viruses.

3. Xac

Xac Visitor

Just don't click em, but it is fun to shoot four out of five pirates.

4. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

Interactive ads drive me fucking crazy.. any ads drive me crazy for that matter!

5. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

The TV networks do this animation and sound effect crap during the show (TVLand is particularly notorious for it). Workers are projecting their pathological video game mentality onto the TV productions.

What's worse, someone is paying them to do this useless crap, which means showing more commercials to pay for it and less program content for the viewer.

6. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

For the broadcast industry it is a business. Advertisers use the programming to focus you on your television so they can have an audience for their advertisements.... to those parties, the point is not the program... which is seen as sort of a bait.. a means to an end. If it wasn't seen as worthwhile it wouldn't be happening. The mentalities being projected into the ads are a sort of "coming of age" of a generation which is projecting its own experiences in what it's creating. You may not like it but if the target audience is responding you're going to see more of it. The only recourse is to find an alternate means of entertainment.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

with wot score card, Once will be the last time..

8. warmhandedcanadian

warmhandedcanadian shit storm chaser

why do the ads think I'm fat and horny?

9. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

I'm not arguing so much that it is not seen as worthwhile by those who are implementing it. Some in the TV industry may think that putting spinning propeller animations on the TV screen with sound effects throughout the entire show is worthwhile. The question is whether it really is.

It looks more like a sign of desperation by those in the TV industry. The real problem in the TV industry is that their advertising dollars have dwindled as advertisers have found other venues such as the internet.

Out of desperation, the TV industry is trying just about anything it can think of when it comes to advertising and the programming content itself. Look at what has happened to networks such as MTV, VH1, and the Weather Channel. They've turned into reality shows hoping that it will somehow widen their audience and make up for the lack in advertising revenue.

I do see all of this as interesting. I don't think the cable TV industry can go on like this for many more years. I expect the landscape to change in the next few years. I think we are already seeing signs of it such as the entire programming content of once-distinct channels turning into generic low-budget reality shows and the recent scuffles between the cable companies and the networks over making certain types of programming pay-per-view which used to be free (sporting events as an example).

10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Sooooooo Want To Reply To This Post......:D.

But If I Do, I Just Know I'm Going To Die.....:eek:.

Cheers Glen.

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Ironic that among other factors it was this that made my decision to cut my cable services to basic minimum a less painful one to make--- and cements my decision to maintain that limit now that the reason for my economizing has passed. There's very, very little that I miss seeing... most of which can be reached through other means. Very liberating on a number of levels.

12. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

With more people like you dropping out, it looks like the perceived solution will be more spinning propellers and goofy noises throughout the shows. :rolleyes:

13. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Hallmark could market a sympathy greeting card for that....

Here, take some antidepressants and make a donation to help support the war on common sense... I mean drugs. You'll feel bettor in no time.

14. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Carson used to do his Tea Time Movie sketches, where there was about 3 seconds of program and all the rest was plugs to buy something.

Yesterday's comedy is today's reality. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHw825yq98M"]YouTube- Carson Show- Art Fern And TeaTime Movies

15. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

I tried this approach to blocking ad crap and it works ok. It's not a complete solution but it rejects the common ad sites that hog your bandwidth such as doubleclick.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

16. warmhandedcanadian

warmhandedcanadian shit storm chaser

It's ok, I know it. :cool:

17. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

your ip must be tagged with that :D...I keep getting horny chicks from Mississauga that want to chat...and I know its ip based based because that where my internet is connected even though Im not near there

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Firefox adblocker is awesome for blocking ads banners and pictures