Ignore 2012 fearmongering

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Harpo, Mar 15, 2010.

1. euphoriaforall

euphoriaforall Member

either way we only have one life. i look at this life as being trapped, earth is a jail for my soul until i am released. so i am taking this time to be what i can be, which is anything, im currently training to become a pro golfer and noone is going to tell me i cant do that. 2012 or not, we all meet judgement someday.

2. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

I've lived over three of your lifetimes and I've seen many of these gloom and doom predictions come and go. They've all been quite amusing, except for the people who have committed suicide rather than go through the mayhem that was predicted.

If you have some scientific evidence that this volcano is about to erupt and destroy the Earth, I'll be glad to look at it. But, spreading unfounded rumors that the Earth is going to end is an irresponsible act that may have some very bad consequences.

3. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

I've been hearing predictions about the end of the world, complete with date, for decades. The world is still around. On Sunday a woman told me that "judgment day" would come on the 21st of May 2011 because that is the anniversary of the Great Flood. I was just too tired and polite not to laugh in her face.

4. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

Every generation since Jesus has thought they lived in the "end times," including his disciples. That story is getting tiresome and a bit overdone.

5. Harpo

Harpo Member

I've been away for a bit - how's 2012 for you so far?

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

about the same as 2000. anybody remember that one?

i don't expect to see gods coming down out of the sky, but there are some very stupid things statistically, that "all" in the statistical sense of all, of us, are doing, that we need to stop, or start doing them in far less destructive ways.

the number of one year is no more magical then that of another. this doesn't mean we'll always be able to get away with not caring about the effects of what we are doing.

7. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Would you say the same thing if there was a massive comet streaming down from the sky towards you?

8. Harpo

Harpo Member

From the sky? Surely comets come from a long way beyond and above the sky.....

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Father, see them when they come! :sifone:

10. walsh

walsh Senior Member

You would hardly be cognisant of that fact during the experience itself.

11. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

There is a huge difference between there ACTUALLY being an astroid falling from the sky, and just claiming there will be one in the future. They can calculate these kinds of things with some reasonable precision.

12. oreon walker

oreon walker Member

if i wanted to make some money fast, i'd be selling *anti 2012 apocalipse* charms on the internet...shipped directly to your home with a *good year* warranty
    would that be a crime ?? ahah

13. oreon walker

oreon walker Member

might i add im a mayan shaman

MOuhahah

14. walsh

walsh Senior Member

What's the difference? In both cases you can confirm or deny apocalypse depending on whether or not you feel like it. You can project hysteria or denial onto anything, whether 'actual' or fantasy. Human experience is phenomenological.

15. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

When the Mayans made their calendar, they didn't account for the leap year which wasn't used until much later on. Doomsday would have happened already, so people should just stop worrying.

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Maybe that's why shit is so fucked up these days... Just sayin'

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Shit was always fucked up.

18. la Principessa

Perhaps, Tyronswood. Btw, one time I was tripping and I saw your name in something while I was browsing on facebook. I don't think your name was really there but it was interesting that it popped into my subconscious right then. Just thought I'd let you know :p

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I doubt it would be there, I don't do facebook. Unless somebody else posted something... which I doubt.

20. la Principessa

No I know it wasn't really there. I just saw it because I was out of it and I guess your name popped into my mind for some reason. lol