Advice for dealing with Middle Age.

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by Reverand JC, Mar 3, 2010.

1. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

What class are you? Your life is not getting shorter, you have all the time there is. You will be alive for the duration.

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Lower class. I just need one or two more clients.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

3. bubbler211

bubbler211 Member

i too have found there are certain perks about being middle age. I pretty much just do what i want with who i want to and to hell with the rest of the world

4. pitbullmoma

pitbullmoma Member

Middle age,what is that?I never thought of myself as middleage and now I am heading for 48.Should I be scared or what?I think not becouse I earned my gray and the few pains I have.Do I wish sometimes to be young again,yes but don't we all?I love life and even with the few regreats I have it all leads to who I am today and she is not that bad so I say bring it on becouse I am willing to go the rest of the way!:) pease and love to all and blessing!

5. Naco Kid

Naco Kid Member

Life DOES begin at 40. And it DOES get better as you experience it more from that perspective. The best IS yet to come. You're about to enter a time of life where you will expand your mind in a way that will make the 60s seem like a primer, and it will all be done naturally. Life is the most righteous high! Can you dig it?

6. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

So, I'm 62. Is that still middle-aged? I feel like it is. Well, anyway, for those worried about it, I would have to say that the last five years have been the best ever. Health is great, still having tons of sex/drugs/rocknroll. Maybe it will catch up to me eventually, but not so far.

1 person likes this.
  7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

the original post is old now (er, middle aged?), but I'll respond anyways

This is just my two cents, but it seems that there are two poles of reaction to the mid-life crisis. One is to make big changes and try to fulfill your ambitions for your life. Another is to sit back and learn to be content and accept your life as it is.

Each of the poles has something to offer. Getting serious about planning a trip to a place that you've always wanted to go to might be a good thing. Going into debt to buy a ferrari would probably be a mistake though.

Accepting your life and appreciating what is there is also good. This seems like part of what your buddhist meditation is getting at. You might want to talk about how you feel with a meditation instructor or senior meditater.

It might be helpful to figure out what caused your family members to die relatively young. There may be things that you can do to prevent and prepare similar health concerns if you have to face them.

good luck, and may you find the answer you are looking for!

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I don't know.... I will be 34 this summer and I can relate to some (a good bit) of that. My grandma died when she was 66 and my aunt when she was 42 (blood clot).... so, yea, I don't know. I know what you mean about an in-between age though for sure.

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Just realized this thread is very old.

10. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

My life improved has since I hit 40...It's still not great by any stretch of the imagination,but certain things have got better.

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

How old are you fairlight?

12. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I'm 42...Still feel like 22 sometimes though.I'm like a big kid in many ways,but also mature in others,I like to think.

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

That's cool. Yea, never had any idea how old you were. And what you described is exactly how I feel at 33 and have always (for a while) felt.

14. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Some of the photos in my profile are a little old...All is vanity...I should post up some more recent ones.Bring on the Summer and I'll get myself a tan and get out the moisturising lotion.I'm relatively happy with my looks,but could do with losing a stone around the belly.And I like my small specks of grey.

15. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

One bit of advice . Look after your body. Oh and another thing , don't waste time of things that don't matter.

16. freckles7

freckles7 Guest

I feel very old and Im only 28. I guess its because I felt I had to give up a lot of my aspirations and youth when I fell pregnant at 19. I decided to live a life of always being someone's wife or someone's mother and gave up all my dreams because every time I tried to go after them my family life would get hard and I couldn't juggle it. Now my husband and I have separated 5 months ago and I am my young 3 kids sole parent. Again I feel trapped, I love my kids to pieces but I don't know how to be my own person when I am all consumed by menial day to day tasks. I know my time hasn't been wasted on my children, I just wish Id had a chance to live before it was taken away from me. I feel very isolated. But I have an inkling that this is all about mindset; so I need to change my mindset... and anyone else who feels old before their time, your need to as well. The question is how?

17. Reverand JC

Wow, lots of recent replies to a 4 year old post. I still get periods where I feel old but whatever. I took skateboarding back up last year and broke my wrist pretty bad about 6 months ago. It's weird that before that happened I started to feel a peace skating that I was looking for in different forms of meditation and Tai Chi.

I've decided to go back to school and learn to be a physical therapist. I want to help "Alternative Athletes" like Skaters, BMX Bikers etc. recover from injury. I was in a shitty relationship when I wrote that that is now over and am in a good one. I'm organizing Skating for Autism Awareness events and doing things to help my community now. Life is OK.

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

It's a topic that will never become outdated.

In some ways, I feel younger than I did four years ago. My life is definitely better in several ways.

I've never been less interested in going back in time, if it was possible to do so. I'm looking forward to a great summer!
    :sunny:

1 person likes this.
  19. thismoment

thismoment Member

Hey Reverend JC,

Glad to see you posting - I haven't seen any posts from you for awhile. Hope you're doing well.

I'm in my late 60s and doing well. I realize it will all come tumbling down sooner than later for me, but this is one of the happiest times of my life.

Important advice: take good care of your health. Poor health can affect all dimensions of life. Good health allows me to go to psychedelic trance parties in the woods and hills and vales of the great outdoors. STILL dancing beneath the diamond sky, one hand waving free... If things hold together Friday I'll be at a three day gathering and the words of my sigline a reality. It actually can't get any better than that at any age.

1 person likes this.
  20. Reverand JC

I just took my placement tests for college and if all goes right I start in the fall. It's going to be a lot of physical education type of classes, English, Math, Chemistry, Biology, Intro Kineseology, Swimming, Kickboxing, Yoga, and Tennis. Obviously not all at once. But by the time I have my associates degree I should be in really good shape.

C/S,
    Rev J