I'm gonna be in an awkward situation tomorrow

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by Captain Cannabis, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

could you pretend youre like that monk character?.... or rain man,..

February 26 26 February is the 57th day of the year in the gregorian calendar. 1815 Napoleon Bonaparte escapes from Elba.. Naploeon, Napoleon not the same as ice cream butdefinitely not my favorite flavor definitely not favorite at the party..

3. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

Man - you are screwed!! You've got this disastrous scenerio built up in your brain where there is no good outcome possible. No matter what transpires it will be a nightmare with you wanting to get the hell out of there. You may very well go running out of the house screaming after 15 minutes

Here's the way I see it. You are giving yourself WAYYYY to much credit for being the center of everyone's world at the get together. No one is going to tell you you are going to hell - they won't care. The biggest emotion you will get is curiosity and a few jabs. Laugh it off man.

It's not going to be like Rosemarie's Baby where every one gets around you naked and chants. Get a grip man - it's just you and you aren't the center of their universe. After the usual niceities - hang around the people you feel most comfortable with - like your chick. With my son - if he likes someone - I like them. That's just the way it is - and if they care about your girl chances are they will feel the same way.

CHILL MAN - It'll be allright if you just let it be -----

[​IMG]

4. SweetEmotion

SweetEmotion Member

i'm right there with you man, i hate socializing with adults or anyone i don't know for that matter. i have a lot of social anxiety problems so awkwardness is my worst fear, but hey its a part of life and you're going to have to get over it someday and like Ddoright said you aren't going to be center of attention. the less you glorfy and overthink the less anxious you'll be.

5. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

Well, if all goes wrong, try explaining how she is a fucking idiot that can't handle her booze or show you the proper respect and really needs to grow up.

6. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

SweetEmotion makes some good points. This kind of social situation is going to crop up - particularly if the person you care about has a good relationship with her family - trust me - you want her to. If you like the chick - buck up man. If you can't buck up then she's going to figure you don't care a hell of a lot about her anyway - and she's probably right.

And you are thinking this through wayyy too much. I've been with people on bennies who thought less than you're thinking. Life happens man - you're just along for the ride.

7. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

It's a birthday party for someone in their family.
    I doubt the center of attention will be on you all day.

8. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I agree

9. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

I know the attention isnt gonna be on me all night. But it stil will be when they aretalking to me. You guys dont get it. I cant stand being in awkward situations.. I freeze up and make myself look weird and dumb.

10. MattB

MattB Member

Even if you are scared out of your mind, just act confident as fuck. No matter how uncomfortable you feel, just be confident and charming. Clever anectdotes and a quick smile will help most of the time. For direct like one on one convo, just talk. I actually bet you'll fascinate them.

11. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

you will be fine:) just try and relax be yourself.

12. Nero_Designs

Nero_Designs Inhaled Dreams

Drink a beer or two prior to it, just enough so you will be more social and confident...

Lol, or do the smart thing and just try to be polite and make small talk if you have to.

13. Startreken

Startreken Marijuana Chef!

Dude,

Ok, I could go about this with you one of two ways.

First is to get some xanax or something. Don't over dose just take enough to keep you from running from the room screaming!

Second, MAN UP DUDE!!!! These people are just like you and me and it does not matter what they think of your and what your social hang ups are. So what if you have dreads and don't eat meat. If they don't respect that then fuck them. Be yourself and support your girlfriend. She wants you there because she cares about you. You know her parents and they are fine with you so who cares what else is going on. Go to the party, eat what you are willing to eat without making a statement that you are a vegetarian. If the subject of religion comes up then listen and you don't have to volunteer what your veiw are on that subject. Talk about what you want to talk about, do what you want to do. Meet the people, shake there hands and look them in the eye. Then move on to the next one. Before you know it you might be having fun. You need to be there for your girlfriend. Go have some fun. The worst thing that can happen is you have to spend some time there. It will be over sooner than you think. Good Luck!

14. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

chill outtt boy. its not a big deal at all.

if you're chill, they'll be chill.

they probably think you're their daughters way of rebelling.

15. twang

twang on the run

Gotta do it sometime, you're over thinking it

16. Positive.Vibrations

Positive.Vibrations Guest

It's all a part of growing up man, and these situations will make your social akwardness go away eventually b/cause you will realize it's not that bad. I understand that they are your gf family, and you want them to like you so you can't do the whole if they don't like me well fuck them shit. Just try to be a nice guy, dress clean and crisp, maybe find a xanax that was a good idea. Just chill, and it will be over before you know it.

I used to be like this about employment, interviews, starting a job, hoping i would do well and they would like me. I would put up with ass hole bosses just so I didn't have to go look for another job. Then I startted to realize that I gained enough experience for a better job and I am worth more than the $$ and how they treat me so now I worked my way up to a big corporation and shit. I got a company iphone, laptop and credit card, flexible hours, awesome ppl, nice environment and shit. I wouldn't be here if I didn't overcome my social fear.

If you want to be successful in life you will have to get over it, and if you want them to like you just chill out say as little as possible till you feel more comfortable. And if you panik go sit in the bathroom and catch your breath.

17. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

damn dude i feel for you because i get anxious sometimes

okay the best advice i have is to remind yourself that you have control over your anxiety. take deep breaths. seriously just do it and you will control your body's reactions to the anxious thoughts. reassure yourself that this situation isn't going to kill you and you'll be stronger once you get through it.

that's all i have. good luck man

18. Mother's Love

Mother's Love Generalist

i usually keep my mouth shut in social situations. if a conversation leads to an anecdotal opening then fine, but usually i get interrupted or ignored (my biggest pet peeves)
    there should be nothing awkward about explaining your food choices. we are very hung up on that as a society. we have self diagnosed my hubby with a sensitivity to msg and related substances, so he has to ask now in restaurants and things. my mom is not allowed to have pork products due to a diet program. people have religious restrictions, as a matter of point, isnt it lent? if they are super catholic i think you'll be having fish (what a shitty birthday, i hate fish.)

and if religion comes up "i am comfortable with my beliefs, and i do not wish to discuss it." the best thing you can do is act mature and grown up, which will belie the fact that you are older than your gf. you want them to walk away thinking "well, he looks funny but he seems nice/ intelligent/ like a good catch."
    but i feel you, i hate family gatherings.

19. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Stick to politics, religion and abortion as topics of conversation.:D

20. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

You might want to take some weed to demonstrate how to roll the proper joint. That will usually be a good ice-breaker.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.