The Official Cooking with Marijuana Thread

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Startreken, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Startreken

Startreken Marijuana Chef!

I don't know what this means. I did a google on it and it does not exist. I am familar with the "Rainbow Family" here on hip but I don't see a cookbook. It would be an interesting read.

2. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Hash works with brownies and adds a nutty flavor and unlike pot you don't have to sieve out hash after you make butter. www.reciperewards.com

3. Startreken

Although I don't disagree, most people don't have hash available to them on a regular basis and Hash can be more expensive. I will be adding sections to this thread later that will deal with hash, keif and oil as well but it's a work in progress. If you have something to add to this thread feel free, however, I would prefer to see recipes and cooking instructions. Thanks!

4. Olympic-Bullshitter

2 slices multigrain bread. 4 oz montrachet goats milk cheese, room temperture. 2-3 tbls onion jam. 1/2 bosc pear, room temperature, sliced thin. Unsalted butter. 1. Use a pan, stovetop griddle or panini press. I prefer the griddle. 2. Spread butter on one side of the bread & place butter side down on the preheated griddle. 3. Spread the goat's cheese & thin layer of onion jam on each slice. Add sliced pears to one half of the sandwich. Let both halves warm for a few minutes. Use a metal spatula flip the half without the pears onto the other half. 4. Serve with field green salad & figs. www.recipegoldmine.com

5. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

How about making Baklava with ganja butter? Anyone ever tried making this Morrocan confection called majoun? Been wanting to try it after a Morrocan food vendor I met at Spring for Green told me about it.

6. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Would using a pressure cooker to make ganja butter make it more potent?

7. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

if you want potent butter i would suggest double boiler method + candy thermometer.. and time.. i slow cooked ganja butter for 3 hours at 180F before.. and it was well worth it in the end.

8. Startreken

Preasure cookers are ment to force the liquids into a product over a short time. So, although it would be fine it's not needed to make the butter. The double boiler provides the right heat that will not burn your product or your butter. I have played with several other methods of making ganja butter, and I have found the double boiler to have the best results.

Although, now this might be fun, if you wanted to infuse some chicken with weed butter now that would be an experiment. However, I would want to use the preasure cooker on a piece of Roast Beef or Better yet, beef cut in cubes for a stew. Use a presure cooker on those cuts of beef and then make a nice stew using the butter as well. I might have to play with this thought.

However again, you could just inject weed butter into the chicken and bake it when you cook it. I would just keep a close eye on the internal temprature of the bird. Might not be bad. Mix in some Rosemary and Black pepper with some nice sea salt. This might also be interesting and worthy of a go.

Thanks for the idea and train of thought. It's ideas like this that make me think of new and interesting ways of making weed cooking fun. I swear I should write a book but this thread will be a good start on one. Hey, now that would be fun. A Hip Forums Cookbook. LOL, someone should suggest it to Skip. He could sell it on here, Amazon and so on. Fun. Maybe someday.

9. Startreken

Interesting. I have never cooked it that long. I would have been afraid of the flavor of the weed to overpower the butter taste. However, I am sure that would also disapate over time of cooking. I will give this a try. Nice thought.

10. Startreken

Ok, yes it can be done and would be awsome. This recipe will call for a lot of weed product and a lot of cooking time to make but will be strong as Hell. One or two piece will get you blazed. If you want a less strong product you can use regular butter and just use the weed honey glaze. You will need to make the Weed Butter and the Honey Bourbon Glaze, I mention in this thread as well. This also requires a little more cooking skill, but not much and some specialty ingredients, again not much and some speciatly equipment. I liked this recipe and I have modified it for your use. Here we go.

Ingredients

For the filling:
    2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
    2 Teaspoons Allspice
    6 Ounces Almonds
    6 Ounces Walnuts
    6 Ounces Pistachio
    2/3 Cup Sugar
    1/4 Cup Water
    1 Teaspoon Rose Water (Not really required but makes it better)
    1 Pound Phyllo Dough (usually comes frozen, make sure it is properly thawed in a refrigerator the day before)
    8 Ounces Weed Butter

For the syrup:
    1 1/4 Cups Honey Bourbon Glaze (Yeah, the one with the weed, can be found in this thread)
    1 1/4 Cups Water
    1 1/4 Cups Sugar
    2 Cinnamon Stick Whole
    1 (2-inch) Piece Fresh Orange Peel (Or An Ounce of Orange Juice)

Directions:

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Put the almonds, walnuts, pistachios, sugar and spices into food processor and pulse until chopped corse, not pasty.

Combine the water and rose water in a small spritz bottle and set aside.

Trim the sheets of phyllo to fit the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch metal pan. Brush the bottom and sides of the pan with butter; lay down a sheet of phyllo and brush with butter. Repeat this step 9 more times for a total of 10 sheets of phyllo. Top with 1/3 of the nut mixture and spread thinly. Spritz thoroughly with the rose water. Layer 6 more sheets of phyllo with butter in between each of them, followed by another third of the nuts and spritz with rose water. Repeat with another 6 sheets of phyllo, butter, remaining nuts, and rose water. Top with 8 sheets of phyllo brushing with butter in between each sheet. Brush the top generously with butter. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and cut into 28 squares. Return pan to the oven and continue to bake for another 30 minutes. Remove pan from the oven, place on a cooling rack, and cool for 2 hours before adding the syrup.

Make the syrup during the last 30 minutes of cooling. Combine the water, sugar, cinnamon stick and orange peel in a 4-quart saucepan and set over high heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Boil for 10 minutes. Then add the honey. Bring to boil again and remove from heat and discard the orange peel and cinnamon stick.

After the baklava has cooled for 2 hours, re-cut the entire pan following the same lines as before. Pour the hot syrup evenly over the top of the baklava, allowing it to run into the cuts and around the edges of the pan. Allow the pan to sit, uncovered until completely cool. Cover and store at room temperature for at least 8 hours and up to overnight before serving. Store, covered, at room temperature for up to 5 days. However, you can freeze the next day for up to six months.

Enjoy!

11. Olympic-Bullshitter

1 person likes this.
  12. Startreken

13. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Thanx for the receipe. I've made Baklava before but never with ganja butter.

I just want to do something different to set me apart from the usual brownies,rice crispy treat etc so thats why I want to make majoun and Baklava. I was a cook for 6 years but gourmet is now mostly a hobbie.
    I've been wanting to make majoun ever since a Morrocan food vendor told me about it. It sounds Delish!!!!!!

14. SweetBlasphemy

SweetBlasphemy Senior Member

Would just like to throw it out there that Earth Balance is a great, non-dairy butter alternative for those of us living lactose/dairy-free. I use it all the time and it makes a damn fine Budder :)

15. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

I've seen several people use a crockpot on low heat to make ganja butter.

16. Startreken

Although this does work, I have found it is not as strong. However, I do find it works better with oils. My concern is that the product should reach at leat 185 F at some point in the cooking process to release the THC.

Like I said it does work. Joker has done a long cook and said he had good results from it.

My biggest concern is the break down of the plant material over time. It changes the flavor of the butter to taste like the plant and give it that green taste associated with the breakdown of chlorophyll.

I wish I had a test kitchen and about 3 pounds of weed. Just to cook with it and try different methods just to make sure which one is the best. However, of the methods I have tried the double boiler is the quickest and the one with the best results. So for the sake of timing I would say double boiler, if you have more time. A long cook may be good as well.

17. Startreken

I took a look at this product. It looks like it would work and has the right amount of fat solids to make it work. Nice, Vegan alternative.

18. Startreken

Although I am not as aware of this product I found a nice recipe for it on another site. As an alternative to using the Plant Material in the food item I would imagine that you could substitute weed butter and or the weed honey glaze. If you do so I would also increase the amount of rasins and nuts slightly to keep the consistancy.

Majoun

According to Peter Lamborn Wilson, the Heddawiyya Sufi order of Morocco is entirely devoted to the ritual, meditational and magical uses of cannabis. Majoun is, perhaps, the most legendary of all psychoactive confections — a potent blend of dried fruits, nuts, spices, honey and cannabis.

Total time 4+ hours

1/4 oz. tops cannabis sativa, crumbled, stems and seeds removed
    1 cup chopped dates
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup ground walnuts
    1 tsp. Ground nutmeg
    1 tsp. anise seed
    1 tsp. dried ginger
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup water (more if needed)
    2 tbsp. melted butter or ghee

In a dry skillet, toast the marijuana over very low heat until it begins to release an aroma. Combine it with the dried fruit, walnuts, spices, honey and water, and cook until the ingredients are soft. Remove to a heavy bowl and mash this pulp until the ingredients are well blended; or put into a food processor and blend, using several short pulses.

Add the butter and stir until well blended. Spoon into a jar and store in the refrigerator. Serve on crackers, eat by the fingerful, or use as a filling for mamoul.

19. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

The Morrocan food vendor told me he used ganja butter. I hope to run into him this summer so he can appraise my final product.

My buddy that used a crock pot had pretty good results but as you said the taste was quite strong. I had lotas repeats. More than a few people told me that this was the first time they had a ganja treat that did anything for them.

Lots people make the usual brownies and various cereal based treats but I've never seen anyone with majoun. I didn't even know it existed until last spring when a Morrocan food vendor told me about it. Not too sure about the baklava, too time consuming from what I remember.

20. Startreken

@AT98BooBoo Thanks for the questions and comments. These were great additions to the thread. Regarding the time and effort for the Baklava. I agree it could take some time and effort. My suggestion would be to make a lot at one time. It will freeze really well. Good Luck. Enjoy.