The Official Cooking with Marijuana Thread

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Startreken, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Startreken

Startreken Marijuana Chef!

Greetings Programs!

This thread is dedicated to the making of food with Marijuana. I would like to ask that we keep this thread only for recipes and to the direct discussion of how to make food with Marijuana. So in otherwords, no comments or conversations please. I have asked that it be sticky so that it will be easy to access.

In addition if anyone wants a specific recipe for any food item and want to have it include marijuana just let me know and I will respond with a post and recipe.

Anyone else can also post recipies, as a matter of fact I encourage it. This thread is a work in progress. I will post recipes from time to time and I hope will get a lot of responce.

When I write a recipe I might refer to this first post for what I want to call "mother weed sauces". These basic recipes will be part of a lot of the recipes I will write and I will refer to them on a regular basis. The "mother sauces" will include, weed butter, weed cream, weed infused oil and sugared weed. I reserve the right to amend any of these recipes at any time.

EATING MARIJUANA
    Before we get started I wanted to go over some details around eating marijuana. First of all it's not the same kind of high you get from smoking. Eating your weed has a totally different effect, it's more of a body high as opposed to a head high. The high lasts longer, up to eight or more hours, and will affect you more like an Indica. Also, it can take up to an hour or two for you to feel the full affects. The feelings come on slow so don't eat more thinking it was not enough. However, this is something that causes a lot of people to not like eating their weed. You have to learn how to dose yourself in the right amounts and the quality of the product can chance from batch to batch depending on what kind of weed you use and how strong. The reason the high lasts as long as it does is because it's like a time released joint. Instead of your weed going up into the air as smoke it passes through your digestive tract. As it is being digested it continues to get absorbed into your system until it exits. In addition if you smoke on top of eating your weed be sure to not plan on going anywhere soon. I compare smoking on top of eating like lighting the fuse of a weed bomb.

Butter to Weed Ratio

As a general rule I like to say use between 1 to 2 grams of marijuana to 1 ounce of butter depending on the quality. One stick of butter is 4 ounces but you will lose some of your butter in the cooking process. For best results I would say an eighth of weed to one stick of butter is the best ratio. Anything more than that and it may get you more stoned but please also keep in mind that your body has a saturation level. You can only get so high. I feel the rest is a waste.

1/8 ounce of marijuana to 1 stick of butter (4 ounces)
    1/2 ounce of marijuana to 1 pound of butter (12 ounces)

Double Boilers
    This is an important part of my marijuana cooking process. The reason behind this are two fold. First it keeps direct heat away from your product as well as the food and will keep it from burning. Secondly, the THC and Canabanoids release from the plant at around 185 - 195 degrees and the double boiler cooks with steam which is 212 degrees. So, this way you are sure to release the product without burning the butter or any other food product. The reason we put salt in the water is to slightly increase the temperature of the boiling water so that we are going to cook at about 218 - 222 degrees. If you don't own a double boiler that is fine, use the following:

1 Sauce Pot
    1 Glass or metal bowl that fits inside pot but does not touch the bottom of the pot but still does not fall into the pot.
    - The water goes into the pot and the bowl fits over it but the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. We are cooking with the steam.

Mother Sauces

Weed Butter
    This is going to be the staple of any person who wishes to cook with marijuana. For those of you trying to stay on a diet do not substitute any other "butter" products. They will not work. You want to use a butter with a higher fat content, we like fat because that is where the THC will adhere. I prefer a Salted European Style Sweet Cream Butter. If you have any questions check the back of the container, just pick the one with the highest amount of fat.

Ingredients:
    1 Stick of Butter (4 ounces) Cut into cubes
    1/8 ounce of finely ground marijuana
    3 Tablespoons of Salt
    2 - 3 Cups of Water (depending on the size of your double boiler)

Equipment:
    1 Bowl
    1 Wire Wisk
    1 Double Boiler
    1 Fine Wire mesh Strainer or cheesecloth.

Put Double Boiler on Stove
    Put 2 cups of water in lower chamber
    Turn Burner On High
    When Water Boils put in the 3 Tablespoons of salt.
    Bring to a boil again and then put the upper chamber or bowl on top.
    Put melted weed butter mix into upper chamber.

While waiting for water to boil:
    Cut butter into cubes and put in your bowl with ground weed.
    Melt in microwave until a liquid (not more than a few minutes)
    Stir with wisk or spoon

After you put your melted butter / weed mixture in the upper chamber of your double boiler stir over high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until butter is dark green.

Strain from upper chamber back into the original bowl using the strainer or strainer and cheesecloth. Wisk the strainer until most of the liquid is in the bowl. For best results use a cheesecloth and squeese out the remaining product. However, do not squeese to hard.

Use right away or store in refrigerator for up to 2 months or in freezer up to a year.

If you want to make a larger batch just keep doubling the ingredients. Mainly the pot and butter, not everything else.

Weed Infused Oil

Infused oil is easy and will taste very good. However, after you have infused your oil be sure to store it in your refrigerator. Do not store at room temperature, it can get funky. i recommend making this in a large batch but feel free to make as needed as well.

Oils: You can't just use any old oil to make infused oil. Again it has to do with the fat content. It's all about the saturated fat. Coconut Oil is the best, and some other ones are Palm Oil and Olive Oil. For this recipe we are going to use Olive oil due to it's flavor profile.

Ingredients:
    4 Ounces of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    3 grams of finely ground marijuana
    3 Tablespoons of Salt
    2 - 3 Cups of Water (depending on the size of your double boiler)

Equipment:
    1 Bowl
    1 Wire Wisk
    1 Double Boiler
    1 Fine Wire mesh Strainer or cheesecloth.

Put Double Boiler on Stove
    Put 2 cups of water in lower chamber
    Turn Burner On High
    When Water Boils put in the 3 Tablespoons of salt.
    Bring to a boil again and then put the upper chamber or bowl on top.
    Put oil / weed mix into upper chamber.
    Stir over high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until oil is dark green.

Pour into a fine wire mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Stir product in the strainer until most of the liquid is in the catch bowl or container. For best results use a cheesecloth and squeeze out the remaining product. However, do not squeeze to hard.

Store in refrigerator up to six months.

Weed Cream

Recipe to Follow

Sugared Weed

Recipe to Follow

1 person likes this.
  2. Startreken

Well, now that we have the butter recipe let's cook the thing that all stoners know when it comes to cooking with weed.

Brownies!

Now, if all you want is brownies with no fuss and no muss. Go buy a box of your favorite mix. Now, check the back of the box and see if it calls for oil or butter. Butter is better but the mix will work with butter as well. Just follow the directions and use your weed butter. Measure it out, don't add in extra just thinking the more butter the better. The brownies will not taste as good. If you made a small batch of butter just use the extra product to coat the pan to give it that extra touch.

So, if you want to make real brownies that will blow your mind, here is the following recipe that calls for butter in the frosting as well as butter in the mix. Personally, I am not one for frosting but you can't go wrong this way. If you want to cut the potency down use regular butter for the frosting.

Brownies

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup weed butter (4 ounces)
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan. (use weed butter if you want)

In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into pan.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Check with toothpick to see if they are done. If it comes up with batter it's not done yet.

Frosting:
    3 tablespoons weed butter, softened (microwave for one minute)
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup confectioners' sugar

Combine 3 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar then mix. Frost brownies while they are still warm for best effect. I like to frost them before I cut them.

3. Startreken

Ingredients:
    2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
    1/2 cup weed infused extra virgin olive oil
    2 Tablespoons Ground Marijuana (2 grams)
    1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
    3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    Special equipment needed: food processor

Directions:

Take ground Marijuana and lightly toast in a pan until you can smell the product. You want to move the product around so it toasts evenly and does not burn. Burn = Bad Or microwave for 30 - 45 seconds, stir and microwave again for 15 seconds. Again avoid burning. (This will make the oils come out)

Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.)

Add the garlic and ground marijuana to basil nut mixture and pulse a few times more.

Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Makes a little over 1 cup.

Serve with pasta, chicken, baked potatoes, or spread over toasted baguette slices.

4. Startreken

This recipe can be used for many things from adding something sweet to your tea to BBQ Sauces. You can also eat it by it's self a spoon full at at time. However, it's strong so be careful.

Ingredients:

8 ounces Clover Honey (Clover is my preferred but any other is fine)
    4 ounces Bourbon or Whiskey
    1/4 Ounce Ground Weed

Directions:

In a small sauce pan heat Honey over medium heat until thin and easy to stir.

Add ground weed and 3 ounces of bourbon and turn up heat to high. Continue to stir until it starts to thicken or about 10 minutes.

Lower heat down to medium high, add final ounce of bourbon and stir for 5 more minutes but before it begins to get to thick. Strain out plant material through a fine wire mesh strainer.

Put strained honey back in sauce pan and return to a medium high temperature stir and reduce until thick. (or as thick as it was before you added the bourbon) You can reduce at a higher temperature if you wish but you really need to keep an eye on it.

Pour into a container and allow to cool. Store in refrigerator up to six months.

5. Startreken

Ingredients:
    2 Tablespoon Finely Chopped Fresh Mint

I prefer to chiffonade the mint. Stack the leaves one on top of another about 10 leafs at a time. Fold each side in and then cut into strips from tip of leaf to bottom of leaf. It should look like fine strips of mint.

2 Tablespoons Ground "Herb" (about 3 or 4 grams)
    1 Teaspoon lemon Juice
    1 1/2 Tablespoons Bourbon
    3 Tablespoons Water
    2 Tablespoons Honey
    2 Tablespoons Sugar

Over Medium Heat using a small saucepan put in water, lemon juice, Honey and sugar and stir until all the sugar is combined into a clear liquid. Introduce Herb and Mint into the pan and keep stiring until thick, add bourbon and continue to stir for another 5 minuites. If you want a thicker sauce then start by using a higher heat and reduce the syrup more before introducing the herbs, but be sure to bring the temprature back down to medium when you do so.

Pour over Lamb chops prior to serving.

6. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

Nice thread:sifone:

I think this should be stickied in the lounge.

7. Startreken

Thanks, I thought it would be more appropriate in the Marijuana Section as it's not "off topic". However, now that it's sticky people can post recipes in here. This way threads don't disapear over time. I have been going back to some of my old posts and reposting the recipes on here with only a few changes.

I want to try to keep the comments down to a minimum so that we will have more room for recipes and cooking questions. However, if you want a recipe for someting specific feel free to ask for it in here and I will respond.

8. skamikaze

skamikaze Coffee Addict

umm... Jack Daniels isn't bourbon. It's a Tennessee Whiskey.

Just saying... Gotta keep that KY Legacy clean.

9. Startreken

I stand corrected, yes it is whisky. Then again so is bourbon. I find it interesting that the only difference of where the whisky is made does it change the name. It's like a trademark thing. Like Champagne only come from France and the rest is just sparkling wine. I will edit accordingly. Thank you for reminding me.

10. Startreken

Ingredients:
    3 ounces of weed butter
    1 package Marshmallows (10 ounces)
    6 cups of Rice Krispies

Equipment:
    13x9 Baking Pan
    Spatula
    3 Quart Sauce Pan

Directions:
    Grease a 13x9 baking pan ( or any pan of around the same size )
    Melt butter in large sauce pan and add marshmallows.
    Mix until marshmallow are melted, add Rice Krispies.
    Continue to fold in Rice Krispies until evenly coated.
    Pour mixture into baking pan and spread evenly.

Allow to cool, cut and serve.

11. skamikaze

skamikaze Coffee Addict

Not just where it comes from. Has to be aged in new charred oak barrels. No caramel coloring. 51% corn. Aged 2 years to be called straight bouron. If aged less than 4 years it has to be denoted on the bottle.

12. Startreken

I can see you have a passion for Bourbon. Yes, I understand there are finer distinctions. I stand corrected again. It's funny as I do already know most of what you had mentioned being someone who works in the industry and is an experienced beverage manager.

However, your specifications if used in conjunction with whisky from another state are still not Bourbon. Kentucky is key to that specific name. Even though a lot of people think that Jack Daniels is Bourbon, so I was just using the common understanding. You are right.

So, are you a Wild Turkey man or are you all about the Makers Mark? Or perhaps some of the small batch distillers like Knob or Bookers?

My Grandfather used to keep Old Grand Dad in his boat. Kind of apropos I always felt.

13. Startreken

Ingredients:
    5 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples
    1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
    1/2 cup Water
    1/2 cup Oatmeal
    1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
    1 Cup Brown Sugar
    1/2 Cup Weed Butter (4 ounces)
    1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt

Directions:
    Place apples in a buttered 1 1/2 quart baking dish, add water and lemon juice.
    Combine the flour, oatmeal, sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl.
    Mix until they form small crumbles.
    Spread crumbs over the top of the apples.
    Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 40 minutes, uncovered.

14. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Lol all you have to do is switch butter in the recipes to "bud butter" and you can cook with marijuana.

15. Startreken

Pretty much. However, I also look at the details in the flavor profile. Some of these recipes are standard, while others I have written myself. I don't just use the bud butter. However, if you have Weed infused Oil and Weed Butter sitting around in the house you can make most recipes. I am expanding the details around other methods of using weed in cooking.

For example. The Bourbon Honey Glaze is going to be great in my BBQ sauce recipe that I will be posting later. No bud butter in that.......

You have to look at all the recipes so far. As you can see not everything has butter.

16. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Right on. Cheers for making weed food, its amazing but expensive.:cheers2:

17. skamikaze

skamikaze Coffee Addict

Top Shelf: Makers followed closely by Woodford Reserve
    Everyday: Ancient Age (Its made 2 blocks away from my house I kinda have to)
    Poor: Jim "Shitty" Beam
    Small batch: Elmer T. Lee. He's an usher at my parents church, really really good bourbon too.

18. Startreken

Wow, Ancient Age........man I have not heard that one in a while. For the price not as bad as it could be. Well if you ever make it up to Chicago, I only keep the good stuff around. Later.

19. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Ingredients:
    Cannabutter: 1 lb (I used about 3/4 lb)
    Peanut Butter: 18 oz jar or about 2.5 cups (low fat has the best texture-chunky for best covering taste)
    Confectioners (powdered) sugar: about 2-3 cups
    Chocolate: 12 oz pkg (I ran a little short)

Mix the peanut butter and the Cannabutter in a bowl. Stir/beat/mix until smooth. Slowly add confectioners sugar while stirring, mixture should start to get to the consistency of cookie dough. If too much sugar is added then mixture will not stick together (add more PB or CB or a drop of oil). It should be moist and able to hold shape.

Heat the chocolate using a double boiler method by placing a large bowl on/in a small saucepan.

Now you can choose to make Reeses style cups or drop style.

If you are making cups (Reeses) then take muffin cups and cut the top half off (looks like a Reeses paper cup). Roll a small ball of butter mix into a ball, flatten the ball into a disc to fit the cup, and place on wax paper or Alum. foil. Repeat. Use all the butter mix this way. Then, cover the bottom of the muffin cup in chocolate (I used a spoon), place the disc in the middle of the cup, and cover in chocolate. Place cups in the fridge/freezer and allow to cool.

For drops, roll butter mix into balls and dip in chocolate, then place on foil/paper than place in the freezer.

You can add all kinds of stuff to the centers too, just roll a ball around it or press it in!!!!

These are some of the tastiest treats I've tried yet. And it's No-bake!!!

20. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Rainbow Family Cookbook: Rasta porridge. 1 big can of yams, 1 normal size can of sweet corn, 1 celery stalk in slices. Put it in pot, smash up the yams, simmer till it reduces enough and put the celery in. Use a generous amount of tabasco.