Removing a cartilage piercing

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by thetrees, Feb 11, 2010.

1. thetrees

thetrees Member

Hey all,

I have a total of six piercing as of right now, but 6 months ago I got my first piercing through cartilage. It's about halfway down my ear. I know that it can take up to a year to heal, but the on again off again pain of this healing process isn't worth it to me. In addition, I have the "bubble"esque scarring (possibly keloid?) on both the front and back of the hoop.

I want to take it out. I've thought about it, and I'll be camping for two months this summer and am already worrying about what that might do to the piercing.

Where do I go from here? Can I take it out myself? Once I do, is there anything I should do to the hole? Lastly, is there any way these bumps will go away?

Thanks, all!

2. Sophie_P

Sophie_P Member

I've had my cartilage on my ear pierced since late October (so about 4 months) and have been able to take it out just fine for almost a month. I almost screwed it up though the first time when i tried putting a different earring in it and it started bleeding. It's been fine though since then. I'd say your probably safe to take it out. I don't know how long you'll be able to leave it out though. I've never had mine out longer than two days, but no problems.

And as for the scar, I have a big knot of a scar in the cartilage on the back of my ear (thank goodness its on the back). I heard that it's probably because I got it done with a gun rather than a needle. I was under the impression that they are pretty much there for good, but my friend swears that she had one and it went away after about a year. I have no idea about it either way.

Sorry I wasn't much help! Good luck with it!

3. sarahrei

sarahrei ~Lover~

Do not take it out if you think it may be infected. You'll trap the infection.

4. psychotic bitch

psychotic bitch Member

i peirced my cartliage twice myself and both holes got bumps like that but i jus poped em, once you let it bleed they go away. if you take the peircing out for a lil bit and put it in peroccide to clean it while you clean the spot on your ear with peroccide also then put it back in. you should be fine, i dont think you really need to take em out.

5. LovelyHippie

LovelyHippie Member

Okay well its not a good idea to use peroxide. It messes up your jewlery, and its bad for the peircing. Uh. I had both of mine done, and both got really infected. I took our my right one, and I dont have one in it now. But I had the scar tissue bump thing in the back, and it did pretty much go away. You cant see it, you can just feel the scar tissue. I took mine out when it was infected, and It didnt kill me. I just cleaned it the whole time it was actually closing up. But as far as me and my friends, I dont have a friend that has had this peircing and it actually heal, and I havent either.

6. stazzy04

stazzy04 Member

My first cartilage piercing was my conch. What really helped was putting in a labret stud (with the flat back) with the short post possible. Its still a little big, but I haven't had any problems with it since changing it. But this way, it won't get bumped around as much, which is the cause of the pain. Just make sure the swelling is all the way down, when you change it. .....Now, I just need to find a curved barbell that is tiny enough for my rook, because I'm experiencing the same thing with that one.

7. tiffanyann

tiffanyann Guest

Okay, so about a month ago i got my ear peirced its at the top and a bubble has formed in the front and i think its infected. What should I do??