Kurt Vonnegut owns you

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by Svitlo37, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Svitlo37

Svitlo37 Member

The man is responsible for a massive chunk of the contents of my book crate. I just love his work.

Both of the places I was locked up as a juvenile I stole Kurt Vonnegut novels from their libraries. At least I got something out of it.

2. DINO-mite

DINO-mite Member

I've been wanting to read something of his for about a year now. my old writing teacher told us aobut one of his books. i believe it was called "welcome to the monkey house" or something similar to that. it's definitely on my list but i just havent gotten around to it also its been pretty hard to find it in the bookstore. i think ima just go to the library and see if they got it.

3. Svitlo37

Svitlo37 Member

I was watching a Hunter Thompson documentary, and they states a sad but true fact.

"Collage kids don't give a fuck about Kurt Vonnegut or (someone else I haven't heard of), but they love Hunter Thompson."

I love Hunter Thompson... but that really pisses me off.'

/end off topic rant

4. TiedyeDreams

TiedyeDreams Member

He was a brilliant man. I had "So it goes." Tattooed on my wrist. lol

Slaughterhouse-Five was the first book I ever read by him and after that I fell in love.

5. ice-nine

ice-nine Member

The first book I ever read by Mr. Vonnegut was Breakfast of Champions. As I was reading, it was hard to see at times for the tears of laughter. From there I went on to read Cat's Cradle, Player Piano, Galapagos, etc.

I'm still working on my collection of his books.

I know this is the Fiction forum; but I'd highly recommend his non-fiction as well. One of his books I took the most from was his last book (that wasn't published post-humously) A Man Without A Country. As it is Non-Fiction, the reader gets a rare chance to see more of the man himself and what his actual beliefs and politics were. It's a must read for any Vonnegut fan.

6. Chris92

Chris92 Member

I was given slaughterhouse 5 as an assignment in school. One day I had in school suspension so I figured I'd read it. I read the whole book that day and loved it, it's awesome. He's really funny, has some far out ideas and has a unique way of writing. It actually reminds me a bit of Thomas Wolfe's "The elektric kool aid acid test", the style of writing is actually very similar I think. Anyway I'd be interested in reading another of his. Any suggestions?

7. TiedyeDreams

TiedyeDreams Member

The books previously mentioned are definitely suggested. I would honestly, recommend anything by him.

8. ice-nine

ice-nine Member

If you've read Slaughterhouse-Five ... well, just jump in anywhere.

I had a harder time getting through Slaughterhouse-Five than any of his other books. I am not sure why, it could have just been a mood thing at the time.

I highly recommend Player Piano! As well as the usual suspects: Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of Champions, and Galapagos!

I quite liked Bluebeard as well, though it was a lot different to his usual theme's of his books.

9. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

He used to but sold me to Richard Brautigan for some fish.

Zen

10. gorilla warfare

gorilla warfare Member

cat's cradle is my 3rd favorite book ever. slaughter-house 5 is amazing too. i really didn't like timequake.

and there was another one i read in iraq, had a clown on the cover and the phrase "lonely no more!" that one was pretty good.

11. Yoseff

Yoseff Music Addict

I feel like I need to put a plug in here for The Sirens of Titan, which is definitely my favorite Vonnegut book.

12. MushMatt

MushMatt Member

The Sirens of Titan was amazing imo. I highly recommend you read it.

13. Chris92

Chris92 Member

I read sirens of titan and loved it. The book was amazing. Its just as good as slaughterhouse five if not better. I then got halfway through breakfast of champions and hated it.

14. JayK

JayK Members

But who owns Kurt Vonnegut?

15. Cathy55

Cathy55 Members

I've never read any of his books, do they worth reading?

16. Gr@ce

Gr@ce Members

Do you already have a collection or just few books?

17. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Have you tried George Saunders?

Every time I mention loving Vonnegut, everyone seems to rush to tell me to get on Saunders as fast as possible. I've yet to, but as a Vonnegut fan, If you've read him, I'd like to get your take.

18. dabla

dabla Member

There is a really cool podcast/book club called "Kurt Vonneguys". They been doing the works of Vonnegut in published order.

1 person likes this.
  19. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I read "Pastoralia" by George Saunders. I've only read one Vonnegut,"Slaughter House Five",so I can't really compare. "Pastoralia" is a collection of short stories set in some kind of surreal dystopian future,but not necessarily as you would imagine it. Very good. Post-modern but not pretentious. I highly recommend it.

20. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

Vonnegut is dead and therefore technically unable to actually own anything, or anyone.