very sick cat, oxycodone safe?

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by blitz7341, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blitz7341

blitz7341 Banned

hi everybody. one of my cats is very sick. we brought her to the vet a couple times already. the vet drained a cyst a few days ago and then today took out the stitches. my cat is very sick though with some unknown infection. its body temperature is down below normal. it can hardly move and is obviously in alot of pain. the vet game it some anti-biotics and something for nausea, but nothing for pain. i have some oxycontin (oxycodone) pills, and was wondering if it would be safe to give a little to her. i cant find any information about oxycodone and cats anywhere. please does anybody know if this is safe?!?

i want to help my cat but i dont want to do anything dangerous. i know that the dose would be very small for a nine pound cat, maybe 1mg, i just dont know if oxycodone is toxic to cats or not.

if anybody has any info on it please let me know asap.
    thanks everybody

peace
    -Blitz

2. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

I think cats are more into K.
    Sorry I can't help, I love cats but I think this is a Vet question. See if they are open tommorow, they should have something for your pet.

3. sw0o0sh

sw0o0sh Banned

ye just have ur cat snort some H he should feel better

4. wild-flowers

wild-flowers forever arbitrary

No it's not safe. Ask for something for pain for your cat.

5. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

It would have to a very small dose. But, is it pure oxy, or mixed with an anti-inflammatory? I'm not sure about acetominophen, but aspirin will kill cats. It eats holes in their stomachs. When I was a kid, we had a cat that was poisoned that way, and there was nothing the vet could do. That cat died a nasty death.

6. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

yahoo answers...looks informative

Hi there...it is very dangerous to give pet animals any human medications unless prescribed by a vet as it could be very lethal. Those that can be taken need a vet to prescribe the correct dosage based on weight, age and various other factors depending on the diagnosis/treatment.

Another reason is that historically, veterinarians shied away from pain killers for cats because this species is quite sensitive to some of the products we humans (or dogs) can routinely look to for pain control. Now, extensive research has proved that some of these products can be used cautiously for cats too, either for short periods, at lengthened dosage intervals, or at a lower dosage levels.

Some pain medicines will never be safe or effective because cats are quite peculiar. Their liver lacks a fully functioning enzyme pathway, one that both canines and humans have. It is a low efficiency of thisglucuronidation pathway that leads to their relative intolerance of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) class of pain killer medications. Acetaminophen, carprofen, and aspirin are some examples of specific drugs with increased toxicity in cats due to this species-specific deficiency.

Please read the following article written by a University of Illinois Urbana Veterinary about the dangers of human medicine to cats:
    http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showa…

[edit] cats have a very high tolerance for pain and generally can suppress the pain to a certain extent. They are very good at hiding the pain and many who are spayed show little signs of distress. You can discuss this with your vet and learn more about this.

Here's an article about signs in cats who are in pain:
    http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/ivapm/ani…

7. happydude_60

I never wished I was a joint until now. :eek:

8. Magical mystery tourguide

Magical mystery tourguide Senior Member

9. kil0

kil0 The Rebel

I know that dogs could be prescribed some hydrocodone solution...

10. thetrees

thetrees Member

blow some weed in her face?

until you can get a pain prescription specifically for your cat. i just wouldn't risk it... i've heard awful things about giving pain meds to animals

11. Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle Minister of propaganda Lifetime Supporter

Cats are gross, just kill it.

12. Dracunos

Dracunos Member

Dude, I would just try to make it as nice as possible, offer cold or warm wet hand towels, I dunno.. But don't worry so much. Cat's definitely take pain many times better than we do. They are freaking hardcore animals, just like lions and stuff, but kinda small.

I once saw a cat catch his foot in a crack in the sidewalk and sprain his ankle. He just lifted his arm up and clenched his paw, grunted, and kept walking.

13. blitz7341

blitz7341 Banned

i never ended up giving it anything, didnt want to risk it. my parents just took it back to the vet, idk whats up hopefully it will get better, but odds are they're just going to euthanize it.

also fuck you noodle

14. happydude_60

Yeah, Noodle, fuck you.

15. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

Catnip is known to be an effective pain reliever for cats. It probably won't help much, but it might be better than nothing. That is, if the cat didn't get euthanized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.