Participants in Study

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Psychologist16, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

Only known ones? So, if they are new and un-named that's okay?

Doesn't really matter, I'm out either way :)

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I'm planning on having my mental health disorder named after me :coffee:

3. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

BBD - BBadd Brain Disruptions?

4. Psychologist16

Psychologist16 Member

Thank you!!

:)

5. Psychologist16

Psychologist16 Member

New and un-named are acceptable :p

I was referring more to people who have never been officially diagnosed by a health care professional with a mental disorder, but think they might have one. I've found it REALLY hard to find people without any!!

6. Me me me me me.......I'm sane!

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Posthumously?

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

no..posthumorously

9. zengizmo

zengizmo Ignorant Slut HipForums Supporter

If you go to a mental health practitioner, they have to give you a diagnosis for the insurance to continue paying for sessions.

10. Psychologist16

Psychologist16 Member

They do give you a diagnosis (if you have one) but some people might think they have one and they don't. Others might just never go to one for whatever reason but think they might have a mental health disorder. The survey asks several of these kinds of questions to confirm that you don't think you have one.

11. zengizmo

One mental health practitioner gave me a working diagnosis of "narcissistic personality disorder" based on my wife continually complaining about me during counseling sessions. But once my wife was satisfied and stopped attending counseling sessions with me, he decided I wasn't narcissistic at all.

My wife then talked me into seeing a psychiatrist, who gave me a "working diagnosis" of "delusional disorder" so he could try some antipsychotic medications on me. The medications had no effect on my "delusions" or my perceptions. My wife then talked me into seeing her own personal counselor, who grilled me mercilessly for some time and then told my wife, "I don't think he's delusional."

So wuddya think - do I have a diagnosed mental health condition or not? Maybe what I have is "bitchy wife syndrome."

12. Psychologist16

Psychologist16 Member

I've looked through my Diagnostic Statistical Manuel of Mental Health Disorders and I couldn't find "Bitchy Wife Syndrome." :p

To me it sounds like you might be in therapy for all the wrong reasons? Your wife sounds like a driving force but what about you? You went to the first practitioner and got a diagnosis based on your wife complaining during sessions. Your wife told you to go to a psychiatrist...then she told you to go to her counselor...Maybe you need to go to one of your own. There is no need to discuss it with your wife. Your mental health is your own business.

Let me have you answer the question. Do you think you have a mental disorder?

13. zengizmo

I never had any mental health problems until I married my current wife. ;) I think she's the one who needs counseling the most - OCD, phobias, and some very odd belief systems. But she's not secure enough to face changing herself, so she tries to change me instead. Well, she used to...I put a stop to that. After I realized I could never make her happy, I decided to just do what makes myself happy, and let the cross princess stew if she is displeased. If she gets in my face and won't quit, I give her an ultimatum: Keep it up and I leave the house. And I have had to leave a few times, because she's very stubborn, but I think she's finally getting a better grip on herself.

So no: Personally I don't see any reason to see a counselor. Do I think I have a mental disorder? Maybe some bipolar tendencies, maybe some addictive tendencies, but nothing I can't deal with. Oh, I do hear voices in my head. Wuddya think about that? As I've told the many therapists I've seen: I learned to do that on purpose in my late 40's, by meditation. It's telepathy, and I've confirmed its validity with at least one person whose mental voice I hear.

In summary: No, I don't think I have a mental disorder. But I thought it would be good to dialogue about the whole subject of diagnosed disorders - just because a therapist gives you a diagnosis doesn't necessarily make it the truth.

14. Psychologist16

Psychologist16 Member

I agree that just because a practitioner has diagnosed you with a mental health disorder, doesn't mean you have it. As the practitioner gets to know you better they may change their diagnosis or you may improve.

On my survey there are questions about if you *think* you might have a mental health disorder. I was hoping that for those individuals who may have been diagnosed but disagree that they had the option to still take the survey and have their voice count.

Since you feel you are free of any mental health disorders, did you take the survey yet?? :D

15. zengizmo

How much you payin?

Oh all right, I suppose you've earned my "voice" on your survey...I'll try to get to it later today. ;)

16. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Not a profitable disorder, so- no. Besides, there's already an over the counter treatment for bitchy spouse syndrome and it's called alcohol. Unfortunately it has many, many side effects.... some far worse than the disease it's treating.

There is a wealth of potential referrals here... perhaps the pharmaceutical giants can dispatch their psychoanalyst miners to that discussion for some prescription payload... since those same companies have favored us with those charming advertisements that plug the brand name into our brains to be regurgitated into their prescription pad.

17. zengizmo

I was into the hard stuff for about three years. And eventually I started to run into problems...so now I drink beer instead. I don't get the nice numbing of the toes, nose, and prefrontal cortex, but I also don't wake up with no memory of what I did to piss people off or break things. And I deal with the shit, just like regular folks. ;)

Medications are the only thing standing between my stepdaughter's success and her descent into psychotic hell - they are the only thing that allows her to function in life. She was raving mad and a clear danger to herself, and was committed by the court to the state hospital. After several months there they got her stabilized, and it was the best thing that ever happened to her. Now she's writing a book about her experiences and experiencing real joy for the first time since she was pre-adolescent.

But can medications be mis-prescribed or over-prescribed? Oh, I have no doubt that happens.

18. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

My respect to your stepdaughter. I strongly believe that the prescription culture that seems to have taken hold these days do a profound disservice folks who genuinely need treatment for a bona fide reason but can get lumped in with the lazy mentalities that would rather pop a pill than actually confront the emotional demons most of us deal with to a certain extent during some points in our lives.

The thing is that like every other business out there, money needs to be made in order to keep afloat. The manner in which certain classes of prescription medication are being promoted I find a bit bothersome... it strikes me the same way junk breakfast food cereals promote to children in order to get the parents to buy. I'd like very much to find the folks who do this and lock them in a room with two or three incorrigible brats hopped up on heaping bowls of Kellogg's Super Sugar Coke-in-a-box Crisps and check their blood pressure immediately after.

For that matter--- I wonder how many mental problems would be mitigated by a proper diet if nutritious natural food instead of the carcinogenic chemical crappola shoveled into pie holes these days. Convenient and expedient... all in a colorful box with an expiration date... gotta wonder whether that's for the food or the person consuming it.

19. Psychologist16

Psychologist16 Member

I am glad that your step-daughter was able to become stabilized with medication. There is certainly a time and place for mood stabilizers. They are recommended for a variety of mental health disorders that simply don't respond as well to talk therapy. I however, am an advocate of talk therapy and specifically client centered therapy. I want to make sure that the client is figuring out their problems themselves and not because I am telling them what's wrong with them (who am I to judge?). However, insurance companies don't like to pay for human-centered or client centered therapy because it doesn't see the results some of the more aggressive techniques do.

I liked that your step-daughter is writing a book. I find writing extremely therapeutic, even if what I'm writing doesn't make any sense. I hope that her journey continues to be a positive one.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

talk therapy.. lol...

youre not a crisis line operator are you??

some dumb **** at the VA crisis line told me i couldnt curse/cuss on the phone, meanwhile I have a loaded 9mm to my head..
    "Could you not say the F word".. Are you fucking kidding me, so I shot the wall and the bitch was like are you there.. NO FUCK FACE I just shoot myself in the fucking head cause your attitude sucks a camel cock!!