is gabapentin (neurontin) considered abusable?

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals' started by CherokeeMist, Oct 29, 2009.

1. CherokeeMist

CherokeeMist Senior Member

by doctors/psychs?

in other words, would they be more likely to prescribe gabapentin than a benodiazepine for anxiety to someone who might be prone to drug use?

ignoring the recreational aspect, everything about gabapentin sounds like it would be exactly something that would benefit me. in terms of day to day shit i'd rather be taking gaba than a benzo, and obviously asking for xanax or klonopin is pretty shady. would gabapentin also be unlikely to be prescribed if asked for/suggested (for good/honest reason)?

2. puffed up in my ford

puffed up in my ford Senior Member

depends on the doctor i would say.my doc gave me klonopins and xanax cuz i asked for them and said i tried them and like them.just gave me adderall yesterday cuz i asked for it.but i also research the stuff online first so when i go in and ask for it i sound educated about it instead of sounding like some dumb idiot.

3. VaporDude

VaporDude Member

what your talking about it exactly what happened to a friend of mine.

it's good because it doesn't make you tired.

4. CherokeeMist

yeah it sounds like it's pretty much perfect, at least for what i'm looking for.

vapor, what happened with your friend? was the doctor weirded out?

and puffed, get me an appt with that doctor haha. although i guess with your diagnoses, they'd be much more lax about things than usual.

5. VaporDude

VaporDude Member

this was the summer of 08.

a good friend of mine i chilled with alot, he fronted some dude some weed.

the dude could only pay him back 100 dollars and gave him a (90-120?) bottle of xanax bars for the other hundred.

throughout that month he would occasionally show up at my house looking wasted as fuck, slurring his words and generally being nuts. :)

one day, in his hazy stupor, he went to a doctor asking for xanax.

the doctor was sketched and gave him neurontin instead.

then he was like, dude "i randomly got a perscription for these pills."

basically, yea.

6. CherokeeMist

LOL, so funny.

that's cool to know though, i figured it'd be less sketchy than asking for xanax or something like that. just wanted to hear if anyone had experience with this sorta thing.

7. puffed up in my ford

puffed up in my ford Senior Member

my dr encourages me to try other peoples meds and see what happens if i can.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

Ive been wanting to get on the neurotin , but Im taking OC's so I dont think that would be a fair trade off with the dr.s

9. IllCanabillyVanilly

IllCanabillyVanilly Senior Member

all i know is neurontin is abusable but its not not controlled.

ive had it before its almost like a cross between an opiate high and an e roll.

10. CherokeeMist

hmm really? you found it to be THAT good?

from what i'm reading it seems to have some pretty desirable anti-depressant and anti-anxiety effects, but not like benzos where you're in a fog... it really does seem to be very effective in the right direction.

edit: just found this on wiki which seems promising: "However, it is widely regarded as having little or no potential for misuse." cool. i might bring this up... haha if i wanted xanax it would be for abusing, which is why i feel weird trying to ask this... but i'm gonna do my research and come in with some decent things to say instead of just randomly asking. it does have some potential, i think...

11. IllCanabillyVanilly

some people have mixed reactions. some people dont feel shit. i got the good end of the deal. lol.

12. VaporDude

VaporDude Member

whenever i took xanax i was always convinced i should be prescribed it.

i generally had social anxiety and akwardness.

but i would be super smooth and cool with xanax.

according to other people i would be totally fucked up and ridiculous, which is funny now.

and i would agree with the Ill Cannabilly statement on mix between opiate and e roll,

except for booze instead of e, for me atleast.

it's actually so much like booze and e... except for without the tweakiness of a typical roll. of course that is with a high dose/no tolerance and usually mixed with various illegal shit.

its supposedly good for day to day anxiety.

13. IllCanabillyVanilly

but hopefully if you do get it, you feel it to its full potential. if your having trouble with social shit, it will help you. its almost like a mild legal ecstasy roll. youll feel more open to talk to people and shit

14. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

I take 400mg capsules of Gabapentin three times per day for diabetic neuropathy. I have pain/burning/numbness in my legs and feet. The Gabapentin does seem to help somewhat. But I have noticed no psychoactive effects from this drug. No euphoria, perceptual changes, or even drowsiness. Nothing. But that's me. It does help with the diabetic complications, though. For that I could recommend it. But to get high? No.

15. CherokeeMist

400mg isn't really a lot. i'm pretty sure the dosing for mood-related issues are a little bit higher. and i'm not even looking for a "high" really... it just sounds like the ideal sedative/anti-anxiety drug (well, that i could reasonably get by prescription :D)

16. the ego killer

the ego killer Guest

i'm on this again, i got on it about two weeks ago at 400mg twice a day which is excellent for anxiety.

last time i was on it it was at a ridiculous dose, 600mg 4 times a day.

doctors usually don't have a problem with unscheduled shit for the most part, they really don't have much to lose, as opposed to prescribing controlled substances where they can get into all kinds of shit (although some states are looser than others.)