Need an OPINION!!!

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by forumdude2227, Sep 23, 2009.

1. forumdude2227

forumdude2227 Member

Im not sure if this is the correct category, but anyways;

I'm a Junior in High school.

I just turned 16 September 20th.

I feel I am too young for my grade. There's a fine line between being young and this amazingly young. My school is set up so that there is a program called Early 5s which starts kids a year earlier. So most kids now have turned 17 before I turned 16 in the same grade.

I carry a 3.5 and in my opinion of myself, taking mainly AP classes WHILE being the youngest in my grade; I feel I am almost genius.

Am I too radically young to be in 11th grade?
    What's the average age to be a Junior in High school?

2. TheatreMommy

TheatreMommy Member

I was 16 in 11th grade and taking AP too.
    I had been put up a grade in elementary.
    It isn't that crazy or original.
    There are many of those who take courses at a higher grade than you're at while being younger, especially in the home schooling world.
    If you feel a genius, perhaps you could talk to some online universities to get some extra courses in. Are you in the US or Canada? Athabasca is a good Canadian University.
    College level courses in the evening might also be a blast.

On the other hand, I'd suggest just taking your free time and doing things you find fun. You're a kid after all.

Speaking of... you say you are 16 but your Age displaying says 19. What's up there, yo?

3. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

Shit man, my best friend turned 16 half way through Grade 12. You're fine.

4. Valdis

Valdis Member

Perhaps I missed something but I have to ask what does this have to do with homeschooling?

5. jiva

jiva Member

i was 16 my junior year ..not that big a deal..not like i didnt have friends even older than my grade anyhow..i mean i was 13 hanging out with 23 year olds

6. forumdude2227

forumdude2227 Member

The 2 top posts are both Canadian. Your schooling differs from ours here in the US. So more than likely, the grades are a bit "differnt" to say the least.

7. goodbyeblueKY

goodbyeblueKY Member

so the grades are easier in canada than the us? is that what's going on?

8. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

Not really...

9. TheatreMommy

TheatreMommy Member

Yes, they are different. After my graduation, my sister and my family moved to California. I stayed in Canada for university.
    My sister enrolled in an american public school before my mother chose to home school her for a year. She had done the things they were doing already. Subjects had been at least covered in the previous grade, if not earlier.

This is not meant to be a critique of anything American. Just saying that our schooling systems are different, yes. I do not know what the American policy for advancing gifted children is. I know that it is done less in Canada now than 20 years ago, when I was advanced. This is principally a funding issue.

10. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

The material may be a bit different, but that's not the issue here.

11. forumdude2227

forumdude2227 Member

Students in Canada generally are in high school till the age of 19, while average in the US is 18, and I, personally, will be 17.

12. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but 17/18 is the average in Canada as well.

13. TheatreMommy

TheatreMommy Member

Again, pls let us know why your age differs in your text vs your profile.