Photo
- - - - -

Annie Greensprings, Ripple, Boone's Farm, Cold Duck!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 skip

skip

If you don't know me by now...

• Administrators
  • 11,767 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted September 04 2009 - 08:17 PM

Remember the good old wine daze when there were all these cheap sweet gateways to life in the booze lane...

Dig this! Time mag article from 1971! Damn, that's the year I started College. Can't believe it's on the web. Way to go Time!

I used to drink these back in 71: Annie Greensprings, Ripple, Boone's Farm and Cold Duck!

http://www.time.com/...,905097,00.html

Great quote:

Beyond the fact that they do not taste like real wine, pop wines have much in common: they are cheap at about $1 a bottle, and their alcohol content is a minimal 11% or so. Another advantage: they add a pleasant extra dimension to the effects of pot.

Can't believe Time mag once promoted drinking wine & smoking pot together!

#2 Ruby Cafeteria

Ruby Cafeteria

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 06:34 AM

I recall quite clearly a lot of great days and nights in the 60s, when my large circle of friends and I sat about around a campfire, or on the floor of someone's apartment, listening to music, passing a joint that was quickly followed by a passed bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine, to wet your lips. A Silly thing perhaps, but they were great times, great conversation, and great music.

#3 oink

oink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 10:42 PM

I remember those well but never cared for them. I prefered beer and bourbon.

#4 Trigcove

Trigcove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 06:35 AM

I recall Feb of 1971, at Mardi Gras in New Orleans, panhandling on Bourbon St. to get a buck for that familiar green bottle of Boone's Farm apple. Bourbon St. was a great place to panhandle, because people gave you paper money instead of change. We didn't have to pass the bottle, we each had our own. As soon as it empty, we'd take 5 minutes to panhandle up a buck for another one. The streets were literally curb deep in broken green glass. What a mess. :)

#5 rollingalong

rollingalong

mister

•  Supporters
  • 19,092 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted October 29 2009 - 06:42 AM

annie greensprings....spent a summer with annie i did....in Michigan in the early 70s

here in canada we drank 'light and easy'...they used to say that it was Delicious until you over do it and get sick...then you will never drink it again and they were right

#6 silverhippy

silverhippy

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • 4,904 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 02:41 AM

Haha, I used to use those wines in my water bongs, and they were almost mandatory at every concert, we used to pass them around in those fake Goat skin things, "Bota bags"

Peace
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Live your life the way you want to live it. Be secure enough in what you do that my words won't affect you. Because my opinion has no material meaning in your life beyond what you let it have.

#7 hafreed

hafreed

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 06:02 AM

Those were good times with good friends. Wonder where they are. A lot of forgotten nights too.

Is there anything like them now? I don't think I would like to drink it again regularly, but it would be interesting to experience that taste again and see what memories/feelings come up.
The delights of this world lie just beyond my awareness :biggrinjester:

#8 oink

oink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted December 06 2009 - 05:51 PM

I still like beer and bourbon.

#9 Trigcove

Trigcove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted December 06 2009 - 06:22 PM

That's good, Oink, because you can't get Annie Greensprings, original Boone's Farm, or Ripple anymore.
I think that Boone's Farm still makes Strawberry Hill and maybe a couple of other "cooler"-like wines, but the days of Boone's Farm Apple are gone gone gone.

#10 hafreed

hafreed

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 07:10 AM

At the local gas station/convenience store yesterday I saw a shelf of Boone's Farm in a cooler. Strawberry Hill, an old friend, was there along with 6 or 7 other flavors (Wild Cherry, Blue Hawaii, Watermelon). I did not see any apple flavors, but then I remembered the internet
http://boonesfarm.net/
They list two apple flavors. I think my friends and I drank the green apple (and Strawberry) with our smoke.
The delights of this world lie just beyond my awareness :biggrinjester:

#11 oink

oink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted January 16 2010 - 02:58 PM

I had a girlfriend that crocheted a cover for ripple bottles. She was partial to ripple.

#12 newo

newo

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 2,968 posts

Posted January 23 2010 - 08:26 AM

Ripple later became the wine of choice among winos, along with Thunderbird, MD 2020 and Night Train.

I also remember a dessert wine called Bali Hai, which had tropical flavors mixed in, and Spanada, a bastardized bottled version of the Mexican Spanada drink. Blecch! We had a lot to learn about what makes for good wine!
Posted Image
NORTHWESTERN U.S. FORUM http://www.hipforums...splay.php?f=145

#13 monkey paw

monkey paw

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 07:27 AM

I had Boons Farm and Ripple t shirts from back in the early 70s. I thru them out about 10 years ago. I should have framed them! Does anyone remember King Solomon wine? We bought it in the gallon vinegar jugs with the finger ring. Always had about a half inch of sludge settled on the bottom.

#14 scratcho

scratcho

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 10,908 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 07:56 AM

You guys might be too young to remember Orange Glow and Lemon Glow. Cheap-cheap rot gut.1st time drunk on that crap at 13. Sickly sweet orange or lemon tasting stuff that made me puke about 20 feet after drinking a 5th! I still can't drink wine because of that night.

#15 cmfrtblynumb

cmfrtblynumb

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted May 13 2010 - 09:35 PM

We used to drink a Jap wine called Akadame. It tasted like grape juice and combined with betel juice it was a pretty good trip but a hell of a crash landing.

#16 film noir

film noir

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted August 07 2010 - 10:06 AM

... it would be interesting to experience that taste again and see what memories/feelings come up.

Memories and feelings might not be the only things that come up. The contents of your stomach are likely to follow.

#17 cherryberry

cherryberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted August 08 2010 - 01:03 AM

We used to drink T.J Swan . They had a flavor called Mellow days . There were some more flavors but ,I can't remember them all . I don't even think you can find it anymore .

Edited by cherryberry, August 08 2010 - 01:28 AM.
; )

#18 junglejack

junglejack

aiko aiko

• 1,679 posts
  • Locationny/nj/ct

Posted August 08 2010 - 01:47 AM

Back then we used to get a Pint of Pink Lady 21- for 89 cents . I havent seen that around in yrs- -they must of did experiments with the friggin chemicals in that stuff and took it off the market years ago.
Jeezuz, that stuff was closer to a bad drug- then a wine----- :puke:.

The Mad-dog 20-20 only came in 1 flavor. Now I see it comes in about 10 different day-glo colors * *
"When the rich make war it's the poor that die." - Jean-Paul Sartre

#19 Reverand JC

Reverand JC

Willy Fuckin' Wonka

• 3,906 posts

Posted August 08 2010 - 10:37 PM

I still see Wild Irish Rose alot. Only 2 varities Red and White. I still can't hear of Ripple without thinking of Fred Sanford's "Mint Jipple" Mint Julep and Ripple.

Peace Out,
Rev J
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I believe that creative imagination rules the universe.
I believe in the beauty of first love and the eternal power of all love.
I believe in dreams and dreamers, being one myself.
I believe in the power of modern medicine and the wisdom of ancient medicine as well.
I believe in the power of laughter and the beauty of a good joke." Willie Nelson

#20 catman2130093

catman2130093

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted December 08 2010 - 04:32 PM

TJ Swann! 70s disco-wow! Oh,and Tuborg beer too...

#21 alibaba2010

alibaba2010

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted April 02 2011 - 05:14 AM

Anybody remember the group called Boone's Farm I saw them once in concert & they were amazing

#22 uitar9

uitar9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted May 28 2011 - 08:19 PM

We usually found that if it had a number in the name it was usually cheap and you usually suffered the next day. Bought it any way-went well with weed and acid though

Hold on-everything went well with weed and acid

#23 sanjose

sanjose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 03:35 PM

hanging out with friends. We would each bring a bottle of the .79 c. wine, put ice in a clean pail and each dump our strawberry fields, apple wine, sangria, and make our own sangria. It was delicious. Get high, listen to Santana, K C Sunshine band. In california, the drugstore used to have a coupon for a gallon of either white or red wine. If you brought your own jug [return] it was $1.99. It was good wine and at the time, I thought I had hit the jackpot. I figured it out later, it came to .50 c a quart. Does anyone remember those coupons from the 70's ? I lived in San Jose just off 17 south. Just over the mountain from Santa Cruz. Anyone there in the 70's ?

#24 granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 05:05 PM

I lived in San Jose just off 17 south. Just over the mountain from Santa Cruz. Anyone there in the 70's ?

Yep! I lived with my parents in Santa Clara, just off the El Camino, before going away to college. We used to go over the mountains to Santa Cruz a lot. Probably saw you there :)

#25 YooperGuy

YooperGuy

Hick

• 2,241 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 20 2011 - 12:38 AM

Boones Farm Wild Mountain Grape made me do really stupid things.

#26 Iwearmylovelikeheaven

Iwearmylovelikeheaven

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hello sweet souls...yes its so fun to talk about those cool times in the 70s...yeah it made me smile reading about how we'd use Annie Greensprings in our bongs and drink it out of those leather thingies, passin it around after the joint and blastin the stereo with The Doors or Disraeli Gears or Iron Butterfly...:daisy:

#27 Bluze2

Bluze2

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted December 18 2011 - 11:24 PM

Anyone remember Bali Hai? Haven't had any of that since around 1969.. Good rotgut.

#28 placou 1968

placou 1968

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 09:07 AM

when we were drinkin boones farm it was 12 percent alcohol today its only 5 percent, hell it would take a couple cases to work anymore....hey what about.. tj swan, magic moments, mellow nights, im from missouri did good ols tj ever make it out of my little corner of the world?

#29 Reverand JC

Reverand JC

Willy Fuckin' Wonka

• 3,906 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 12:38 PM

"]Eddie Harris: The ORIGINAL "COLD DUCK TIME" - YouTube

Stay Brown,
Rev J
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I believe that creative imagination rules the universe.
I believe in the beauty of first love and the eternal power of all love.
I believe in dreams and dreamers, being one myself.
I believe in the power of modern medicine and the wisdom of ancient medicine as well.
I believe in the power of laughter and the beauty of a good joke." Willie Nelson

#30 Capt Morgan

Capt Morgan

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted January 14 2012 - 08:51 PM

I know, I know, this is an ancient thread, but I just couldn't help but respond. I remember all too well Annie Greensprings' Plum Hollow, and TJ Swan, Strawberry Hill, etc. I guess you could call me an expert on cheap wine and cheap weed....hahaha. Great times back then in spite of the horrendous war that our heros fought. Anyway, I'm getting way to nostaligic. Back then, I didn't have many cares to deal with and it was all about loving and getting high.

Capt. Morgan