Taking last name in marriage

Discussion in 'Feel Good Feminism' started by mystik_lilac, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Xlear

Xlear Member

This is a matter of individual choice, at least that's what I've noticed. For some women prefer to keep their family (maiden) name. Yet, will choose their husband’s for their children. Yet, I know women who keep their name and also share their name with their children.

2. dollyfizz

dollyfizz Senior Member

:rolleyes: Typo? If so; obviously. That is what she just said, what do you think I'm replying to?

Err, yeah. That'll be it.

No typo? Then no, they don't have the same last name. It's because they COULD have the same last name.

3. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

It would be a problem if he was in legal trouble, because you don't exactly want to be named "John Smith" if there's a John Smith who's always in the paper for arrests. I don't know why the attitude was necessary, sheesh.

4. dollyfizz

dollyfizz Senior Member

Bit sarcastic, wasn't trying to be attitudey. Sorry if you think so.

I see your point. My bad.

5. JimiAllTheWay

JimiAllTheWay Member

I would never take a man's second name if I married them, I want to keep my own name, with that my independence. And I DEFINITELY don't think it should be a legal requirement??? What is the point: at the end of the day, it's just a name :D

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Is it just a name or is it a symbol of your independence?

7. Charmed262

Charmed262 Member

I think it should be the woman's choice rather or not to take the husbands last name. I personally like my last name. Its not very common which is why I like it. Tough I might hyphenate my last name when or if I marry.

8. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

I'm getting married in like 2 weeks and never considered taking my future husband's name. According to laws where I live I wouldn't be able to do it, but I never thought about doing it so it's fine with me. I'm totally against laws forcing women to take their husband's name or not, everybody should have the choice.

9. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i took my husband's last name more as a family thing, as i was a foster kid and i want nothing to do with my biological family, while i adore my in-laws, so i was happy to be "adopted" into the family.