Taking last name in marriage

Discussion in 'Feel Good Feminism' started by mystik_lilac, Aug 12, 2009.

1. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Go Duck! :D

I changed my name when I got married. I chose to do that. I know a few people who didn't, because they chose not to.

That's the way it works.

2. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

i think it's a silly tradition. kind of outdated considering the times. but to each his own.. it's a personal choice kind of thing.

i would never do it.. i don't believe in what it stands for. (in my eyes)

3. honeyfugle

honeyfugle pumpkin

I took my husband;s name when we married. Partly because I like tradition and partly because I didn't like my maiden name ;) But all in all it was my choice and we should all be able to make that choice.

4. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I also know 2 men who took their wives' names.

I wasn't aware that it stood for anything shady. It's a personal choice, no one should have to justify it. But if it makes you feel better to say it's silly and outdated, all the power to you.

5. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

huh? i know men and women both do it... and i don't think it's shady.

i agree it's a personal choice, as i said. and i don't believe people have to justify a personal choice like that.

i think you misread?

6. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

No, I read just fine. You did say it's a personal choice, but you needed to put it down first.
    What does it stand for, in your eyes?

7. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

well it's a tradition, yes?

it's just my personal opinion that it's a silly tradition.

i'm not trying to say it means the same thing for everyone. that goes for changing the name and the marriage itself.

leave me alone :)

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

i always thought it would be neat for the man to take the womens last name.. I dont knonw why..

9. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

An unconscious interest in role reversal, I would assume.
    Like how Elseworlds and What If.. comic writers commonly like to swtich the bad guy and good guy =P

10. SamanthaHazelEyes

SamanthaHazelEyes Member

I think it should be 100% up to the woman if she wants to change her maiden name or not. I don't have much of an issue either way, and I also think it's completely acceptable if the husband wants to change his surname. A person should be allowed to make their own choices and decisions with such a personal matter.
    I personally will probably change my maiden name when/if I get married. I could care less about tradition, I just simply like the gesture.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

Ive used my last name for so long it be nice change.. lol. What if both just switched..
    Or if your last name was really fricking long like Mcmillinanwiseinsteine and your married a Lee.. id take the Lee. :cool:

12. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Of the two I know...one of them had his mother's former married name, but didn't know who his father was anyway (mother was an addict who slept with whoever), so he had no emotional attachment to it.

The other...his father committed suicide and Bob was left to find the body. He was really fucked up for a long time, he wanted rid of his father's name.

13. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

Personally, last names don't hold that sentimental value that a lot of people seem to have with them. I couldn't care less about "carrying on my family name" (yeah, I know.. I'm a girl so that doesn't work anyway, right? :rolleyes:).

Then again, I'm not planning on getting married.

I don't believe it is neccessary, for me anyway. :p

Answering the question: No way should taking someone's name be made legal. No way. I don't even think the woman should take the man's name. I suppose it's all up to personal preference.

14. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Those of us living in the present are not worried about that idea ever being made legal, it would be like making honor killings legal.

We're moving forward, not backward.

15. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

I know. :p I was meaning those 50% of American people who think it should be made legal.

That's stupid.

Edit: No offence intended. I just don't think people should be forced to change their name.

16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

In America, it is totally optional. I don't plan to do it, if I ever get married.

17. whimbrel

whimbrel Wasteland Soldier

not entirely

its optional in every state but hawaii. i think the individuals in the couple should decide on what they want to do. i personally look forward to changing my last name for various reasons even though i have heard it is a hassle to get everything changed (documents, license, etc). it still bugs me that women dont realize the roots of the name change is all about property - making it aware that you are now your husbands property.
    i really think its great when a man has no problem taking the womans last name though. its weird how this is still thought of as a man/woman issue though...in my state, gay marriage is legal, so this topic now includes same sex couples.
    another option that ive noticed become increasing popular is the hyphenated last name. i like the idea of it but its not completely practical with many last names. i many friends who parents decided to combine their last names and they exceed 15 letters. the kids generally find it annoying, especially in school

18. Doodless

Doodless Member

When u think about it - it IS the woman that literally carries on whatever name that's chosen.....It is the woman's right to put on her child's birth certificate whatever first and last name she chooses. I personally liked my husband's last name better but we did discuss the matter before-hand. If I had actually had a cooler last name than Smith, things may have been different. My 3 girls have already decided that when/if they get married, they are going to keep their names. Yay for independance

19. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

So you don't think the father deserves a say?

20. Sebastunes

Sebastunes Member

Zorba .. of course not .. he is the man .. all he does is put food on the table; be a pilar for emotional support; protect his kid and wife; enrich the lives of his family and uhhh ... bring knowledge ... teach the kid ... and be there for most of the kids life all the way to adulthood ... of course he doesn't deserve a say ... :p