Writers Forum Suggestion for Posting

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by mystik_lilac, Aug 6, 2009.

1. mystik_lilac

mystik_lilac Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I received a pm from a member suggesting that we throw out this idea for the Writers Forum...

When you post a poem, short story, etc., please take the time to read and comment on at least 3 other posts. That way we get some more feedback going!

Enjoy! :)

Beautiful Erica likes this.
  2. isoisidorus

isoisidorus Member

i do read other's posts; you cannot make me read anything indon't want to read.
    i've read some of the recent poetry-it is quite good.
    other than that- i am unable
    to translate
    my experience into
    general terms
    i have never been able to fit in
    imto
    intro
    not trintro
    the tintoresque
    world
    at large
    even the japanese
    are far from being blameless
    what happens over the cusp
    ha!

3. isoisidorus

isoisidorus Member

do we really need to ..............to feel human?

4. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

everyone just wants feedback on what they write
    it would encourage them to post more of their work

5. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

Do They?

It seem that most posters are simply looking for kudos and have little interest in dissenting opinions.

Re-enforcement, while encouraging, does little to improve one’s writing skills. With that in mind, perhaps the poster should be specific as to what sort of feedback they seek.

I make my living with my pen and have little interest in using it to blow smoke up anyone’s ass. To seek useful feedback is to subject oneself to possibly hearing unpalatable words, i.e., “that turd stinks”, and since dabblers most often find such offensive, I personally hesitate to post feedback at all.

However, I am happy to do so for anyone who has professional ambitions—or even academic ones. Or , in my opinion, enough talent to seek professional status. But as for mandatory responses, that I cannot do without compromising my own artistic integrity. And that I will not do.

So my advice is for the writer to state what type of feedback is desired and to not argue with the results. Remember, critics never seek criticism.

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well ,I'm definately a dabbler,K. I just recently started to relate some tales from my "childhood",but I wouldn't/don't mind if anyone looks at my stories and throws out some hints toward improving on them. I'm thinking about employing some creative hyperbole towards some fiction. I'm NOt quitting my day job! A few have bothered to help me and I appreciate it much.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

I'm not a "writer" but I occasionally attempt to write accounts of my experiences and post them here.
    Please don't feel obligated to reply if you don't want to.
    I'm not looking for criticism of my writing, although I welcome it, a "like" or "don't like" is cool too. No explanation necessary.
    Anything even remotely connected to the story is welcome, as long as you actually read the story.

My apologies to anyone to which I may have posted seemingly flippant or tangential reply's that were not welcome.:eek:

ZW

8. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

Geckopelli:
    I agree with your ideas about criticism. Seems last time I got negative with someone, even though I tried to sugarcoat my review, other posters jumped all over me. Example: Writers Forum, "The Monkey in the Traffic Light", where I criticized Caliente for not having a story line. I suppose the simplest thing is not try to sugarcoat your review, but just say what you have to.

Now: What do you think of my work in Writers Forum in "Tasty Treat", "Storm Trooper" and "Cibola"? (If you respond, posting to the individual piece is the simplest method.)

9. caliente

caliente Senior Member

I disagree. Where is the law of the universe that says, in order to "improve one's writing skills", you must be subjected to trite, inane, ill-informed, and sometimes barely literate "criticism"?

How much do you think some fool who is doing well to spell the word "poetry", and who thinks a comma is when you're unconscious for a long time, is going to contribute to your writing skills?

What is needed is not some condescending, self-styled guru who admits he doesn't even get the point of a piece, yet nonetheless feels compelled to tell you that "you must have just sat down and started typing". How is that going to "improve" my writing, exactly? All it is, is petty bitching.

What is needed instead is intelligent, informed, knowledgeable constructive criticism and opinion. Don't just bitch about it. If you don't like a piece, fine ... you don't like it. But explain why you don't like it in an adult manner, realizing that this is an opinion. Just because one person is unable to figure out what the "storyline" is, doesn't mean that there isn't one.

10. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

I agree with every word.

11. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

I'll just lower my expectations and then I won't be disappointed. Inventing a conversation does not make a story. Neither does inventing a brothel in a shopping mall. Well, maybe paid blow jobs (in your story, that is) are the height of your literary effort?
    If there is no storyline and no point, you can hardly expect me to figure out what it is.

Since you evidently can't take constructive criticism, I'm through bothering with providing any, in your case.
    -- a condescending, self-styled guru

12. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

Well, I assumed everyone was adult enough to leave "constructive" unspoken.

But apparently not.

As for spelling errors (of which I am undisputed king) -- that's something I personally pay little attention to in off-the-cuff responses in forums such as this.
    In real life, I have an intern to attend to such things.

13. ci0616

ci0616 Banned

I do. As a matter of fact, i want negative feedback. A lot of people, especially writers, have a hard time dealing with criticism. But, as you mentioned, I'm simply interested in being a better writer, which may very well mean somebody telling me i'm a shit writer. That's okay, it'll only make me better.

I do like the idea though, responding to three posts.

14. Culdeemoon

Culdeemoon Member

My doggie and me just got back from a walk. earlier on... 'Slim'! That's his name because he is! He's a Whippet! Anyways, we settled down to Doritoes, and watching the whole three films of The Godfather! Slim makes a mighty fine footstool until it gets to Godfather three! But hey! Who the f..k likes Godfather three? Smart dog!

15. Culdeemoon

Culdeemoon Member

hey sis! chill out! (I'm not a Hippy, just feel like one) If Charles Bukowski can write brilliant fluent stuff, when being rat-arsed out of his face, then there's hope for all of us! PS See my Doggie story... It's true... and Sad!

16. Culdeemoon

Culdeemoon Member

You know dirty dog! I don't think you'd get on well with Slim! However, you sound like a bullshit bank manager, who'se probably out of a job, and want's to be nasty, to make up for your own faults! You might think you're superior to those around, but take it from me and Slim, You're not! We challenge you to a discussion on Nietzsche! Slim's good on this one moron!

17. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

Now let me ask you this, Culdeemoon: what have you posted here that's worth reading? Any turkey who'se gotten into elementary school can indulge in cheap namecalling, so let's see what you can do. I'm holding my breath in anticipation. I see you've favoured us with 37 posts thus far -- maybe there's something there we should all know about?

"To the pure, all things are pure. So the people say. However, to the swine, all things are swinish!" -- Nietzsche

18. Culdeemoon

Culdeemoon Member

I'm a humanitarian! I don't like bullies! You sound to me like you've got a superiority complex! Why don't you listen to people and not think they're inferior to you? We're all essentially the same... God bless!

19. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

"A man should know when to die." Thus spoke Zarathustra.
    "And what of the superfluous?"
    "Would that he had never been born!" -- Nietzsche

20. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

As a writer, I remain very thin-skinned. If someone does criticize me, it's always better if they do so tactfully. I hate to think that I was too hard on Caliente and that my criticism had anything to do with her leaving Writers Forum.