Astral catalepsy, a spirit visit, or something else?

Discussion in 'New Age' started by SageDreamer, Jul 27, 2009.

1. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

Greetings,

I hope I'm in the right forum for this, but I had a very curious experience early yesterday morning, and I hope someone here can explain it to me.

It was about 5:00 in the morning, and I was half awake and lying on my stomach. I felt like somebody was rubbing my shoulder blades. It was a pleasant enough experience, but I know that I had locked all the doors (and I checked it later that morning) and there was no way any physical person could be doing that.

In the past, I have had dreams that were astral travel experiences, so I have had astral catalepsy: the thing that happens when you have been out of your body and you feel paralyzed upon returning to your body. Sometimes it can be really scary, but I have learned what it is and this doesn't bother me quite so much. However, I've never had it combined with a feeling of being touched. I tried to scream, but couldn't. When I was finally able (seconds later, perhaps, but it felt like ages), I turned over and saw nobody there.

One of my friends insists it is the spirit of my father who died a few months ago, coming back to keep an eye on me. He wasn't a particularly "touchy" person, so I really doubt it was him.

Can anybody tell me what's going on?

2. IDontFitIn

IDontFitIn Member

Possibly a form of sleep paralysis? Is that the same as astral catelpsy though? I have been researching the paranormal for a decade but I honestly do not know much about astral travel.

Sleep paralysis is pretty common. Many people think that they are under attack from a spirit when it happens. Most people report feeling scared and like they are being held down by something. They are unable to scream. I have never heard of anyone feeling like they were getting a pleasant shoulder rub though so I am not sure what to think.

Those who believe human spirits can visit usually believe that they have the same personality that they had in life. With that said if your Father was not a touchy person in life he would probably not be one in death. He would probably communicate with you in a more familiar way.

Those are just my really random thoughts. Take what you will from them and ignore the rest (or all of it) :)

3. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

You just woke up or regained normal conciousness during a REM cycle. Your body is naturaly paralyzed to prevent you from thrashing about during dreaming.
    What you describe is classic as well what Idontfitin said.
    Nothing really mysterious or paranormal about it, although it is bizarre and scary.
    Check this out:
    http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9806