Photo
- - - - -

There's a fucking mushroom growing out of my carpet!

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona

Back by popular demand!

• 20,398 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:27 PM

WTF? We just noticed it...how the fuck do you miss something like that? We're trying to get a picture...I'll try to show you guys in a minute. Mushrooms grow in carpet????

#2 Katie89

Katie89

• PipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:28 PM

if it is moist
enjoy it

#3 Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona

Back by popular demand!

• 20,398 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:29 PM

It has rained and our door does tend to leak a little...but holy shit, I have no idea where this came from, it's HUGE for us to have just noticed.

#4 Cherea

Cherea

• 12,181 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:29 PM

Somebody is taking a piss on your carpet on the regulah.

#5 Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona

Back by popular demand!

• 20,398 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:31 PM

I figure I'd smell that... ;)

#6 Face Eater

Face Eater

Banned

• Banned
  • 12,659 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:32 PM

I've had them grow out of my kitchen tiles before. It is the sign of a fertile home.

#7 Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona

Back by popular demand!

• 20,398 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:32 PM

I've had them grow out of my kitchen tiles before. It is the sign of a fertile home.

I'd better get on some good birth control pills stat. :eek:

#8 nesta

nesta

Banned

• Banned
  • 20,590 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:33 PM

It has rained and our door does tend to leak a little...but holy shit, I have no idea where this came from, it's HUGE for us to have just noticed.

mushrooms grow very quickly, and some can grow to nearly full maturity literally overnight. the mushroom itself (the fruiting body) is merely the reproductive portion of the fungal mass, not the body of the organism itself. the mushroom is to the fungus as an apple is to an apple tree, or a blackberry to a bush.

my parents had a couple carpet squares under a leaky sink in the basement once and it had some white waxy mushrooms pop out of it after a long while.

also they had door mats that needed replacing...woven straw mats that had been out in the autumn rain for a long time...eventually that grew a couple mushrooms

my dad's old work had a mushroom grow up from under the tiles in the more or less disused kitchen once.

they'll pop up in weird places sometimes :eek:
Cate8 You know, currently, your profile says you are viewing the Psychedelics forum at promptly 4:20 PM. I appreciate that.

#9 simplistic

simplistic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:33 PM

They can grow very fast.

#10 nesta

nesta

Banned

• Banned
  • 20,590 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:37 PM

time lapse video of Psilocybe cubensis growing over less than 3 days time - they get huge quickly! different species require different times to grow, i could easily you had only gone a day - or less - without noticing
Cate8 You know, currently, your profile says you are viewing the Psychedelics forum at promptly 4:20 PM. I appreciate that.

#11 Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona

Back by popular demand!

• 20,398 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:40 PM

I wish I knew mushrooms better...it would be neat if I could safely trip on it. ;)

#12 nesta

nesta

Banned

• Banned
  • 20,590 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:40 PM

also, the mushrooms have to be feeding off some sort of nutrition. if there is wood under the carpet, this is likely the nutrition for the fungus. but it could be the carpet itself, too. either way, i'd suggest getting that mushroom off of there and spraying down the area with a generous amount of lysol, which is an excellent fungicide.

maybe even spray with lysol really well and then pour a litttttttle water over it to help carry the product down into the carpet better

#13 Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona

Back by popular demand!

• 20,398 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:41 PM

also, the mushrooms have to be feeding off some sort of nutrition. if there is wood under the carpet, this is likely the nutrition for the fungus. but it could be the carpet itself, too. either way, i'd suggest getting that mushroom off of there and spraying down the area with a generous amount of lysol, which is an excellent fungicide.

maybe even spray with lysol really well and then pour a litttttttle water over it to help carry the product down into the carpet better

Thanks a ton...as cool and random as it is...it's really fucking disgusting...lol.

#14 nesta

nesta

Banned

• Banned
  • 20,590 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 09:05 PM

my only worry is that if more mushrooms grow, whatever they're "eating" will be depleted over time. i'll see if i can get a good pic...

Posted Image
that is a PF cake, used for growing magic mushrooms at home. it is vermiculite (a common gardening material, non nutritive), organic whole grain flour of some sort (usually brown rice - i've used millet, i know rye should work), and water. the stuff is sterilized in a jar and spores are injected into the cake, and this is the result once it's fully colonized. the white mass is mycellia, the body of the fungus

Posted Image
this is a fruiting cake

now those mushrooms are about 90% water. the rest of it is produced from the nutrition available to it. the vermiculite, which composes the bulk of the cake's volume, has no nutrition to offer, being merely puffed mica.

this means that the mushroom has to produce it's body from the flour only, and after a few flushes (groups of simultaneously maturing mushrooms, as seen in the second picture) the fungus has eaten up so much of the flour and absorbed so much water through the cake that the cake will be maybe only 2/3 the size it originally was. if put back in the jar which it originally fit into like a hand in a glove, you could easily shake it around no problem at all. you could probably fit a finger between the glass and the cake.

considering how little of the cake is actually nutritive, this is pretty impressive.

now, different mushrooms feed on different substances and will grow and behave differently. that said, all mushrooms need sustenance. i don't think gross is an issue so much as structure damage if it's legitimately growing out of the floor. it has to be eating -something- and if you don't kill it off it will continue to do so :eek:

#15 arthur itis

arthur itis

• 2,130 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 09:14 PM

They can grow very fast.

My little mushroom can grow very big in a short amount of time. :cool:

#16 arthur itis

arthur itis

• 2,130 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 09:17 PM

WTF? We just noticed it...how the fuck do you miss something like that? We're trying to get a picture...I'll try to show you guys in a minute. Mushrooms grow in carpet????

I've heard of women that have a little mushroom growing out or their carpet before,, :cool:

#17 toolmaggot

toolmaggot

Nuts Go Here.

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:18 PM

Our cracked tile countertop sprouted mushrooms once. I pulled it out and there was a HUGE like, root system [for lack of a better term] that pulled out with it, it had eaten and taken up a whole 4x4" square of wood under a tile.
Posted Image

I've honestly punched dozens of women.

I want to sodomize you because I love your tight little booty hole type of thing.

I'm here for the butt sauce

#18 whimbrel

whimbrel

Wasteland Soldier

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:19 PM

wtf? woah
Posted Image

#19 Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona

Back by popular demand!

• 20,398 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:29 PM

Nesta's advice was great, Lysol fixed the problem. :D

#20 SpaceMan Spiff

SpaceMan Spiff

٩ (๏̯͡๏)۶ NINJA

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 53,376 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:36 PM

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..........ross :ack2:

#21 Penny

Penny

Supermoderaginaire

• Members
  • 13,462 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:38 PM

wow, that's crazy! I'd change my carpet if I were you.. :/

X

create yOur own rea|ity.

Everything you think shows

Hanging round your head

Underneath your long hair

Tell me what you feel there

Penny is a vice

#22 Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona

Back by popular demand!

• 20,398 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:39 PM

wow, that's crazy! I'd change my carpet if I were you.. :/

Noooo way can we afford that.

#23 Penny

Penny

Supermoderaginaire

• Members
  • 13,462 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:43 PM

remove it? how's the floor underneath?

X

create yOur own rea|ity.

Everything you think shows

Hanging round your head

Underneath your long hair

Tell me what you feel there

Penny is a vice

#24 Didymus Doppelgänger

Didymus Doppelgänger

Misfit Lover

• Members
  • 2,972 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:44 PM

Buy sawdust an throw it all over your carpet. Idk if that will help anything, but it seems like an interesting idea :D
Early to bed and early to rise
Makes a man or woman
Miss out on the night life

#25 orison319

orison319

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • 56,731 posts
  • LocationSquirrel Hill Penisylvania

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:48 PM

http://radar.spaceba...g/comment/1/524

Capturev

Nineteen forty, Xmas eve
with the full moon over town
Stagger Lee shot Billy DeLyon

and he blew that poor boy down

#26 Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona

Back by popular demand!

• 20,398 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:51 PM

remove it? how's the floor underneath?

Well, the carpet's so worn down in that spot that you can mostly see the floor...but I live in a trailer house and when they put them together, they build the walls on top of the carpet. To remove it would be a feat of God. :eek:

#27 SpaceMan Spiff

SpaceMan Spiff

٩ (๏̯͡๏)۶ NINJA

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 53,376 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted July 27 2009 - 07:52 PM

http://radar.spaceba...g/comment/1/524

yikes..it looks like that site posts your ip adress if you leave a comment:cool:

#28 metalgypsy

metalgypsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 08:07 PM

That is freaky. Before this thread, I've never heard of mushrooms growing in random household areas.

#29 Allonym

Allonym

cheesecake slut

• Members
  • 5,230 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 08:08 PM

Nesta's advice was great, Lysol fixed the problem. :D

awww, no pictures then?

glad you done did kill it good though

the heart is dark but the world is darker

#30 mutteredexpletives

mutteredexpletives

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 08:11 PM

That happened in an old house I lived in once, they sprouted out of a basement bathroom wall. Surprised the hell outta me too! :)