"Tattoos and piercings are sleazy."

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by lefttothenight, Jul 21, 2009.

1. lefttothenight

lefttothenight Member

I am looking for other people's input, here.

Background Knowledge:

So, right, I have a tattoo on my chest-ish/collar-bone area. It is a small dragonfly, about a square inch at most. And I have my upper lip pierced in a spot that is commonly known as a "monroe" since it is meant to look like a beauty mark similar to Marilyn Monroe's or whatever. I also have my septum pierced, which is convenient since if I get sick of it I just tuck it in. Whatever. I like it. I like my tattoos and my piercings.

My boyfriend came over the other night and we somehow got into the subject of tattoos and piercings. Basically, the conversation went like this:

Ass Hole: Remember when you were in the tattoo parlor last week thinking about getting a tattoo? Well, I'm really glad you didn't. Tattoos are so ... permanent. I mean, in 10 years why would anyone want to have their body marked? It's like you can never forget it, you gotta remember forever.

Me: Well, duh. Tattoos are often gotten with the INTENTION of being remembered forever... They're supposed to be permanent. They don't have to, but a lot of people get tattoos that mean something to them so they never regret them. Like how I'm going to get a tattoo for my dad. Why would I ever regret that?

Ass Hole: Because it's on your body and that's gross. I mean, once you get a tattoo or piercing, especially visible ones, you can basically cross off ever getting a REAL job. And why would you want to mark up your body in the first place? What if you end up not liking it?

Me: .... First off, discrimination based off of physical appearance should be destroyed, anyway. If someone won't hire me because I have a piercing on my face, then I will gladly kick them in the nuts. Because I have a metal stud in my face doesn't mean any judgment can be drawn about me, except for the fact that I probably won't do too well traveling cause I hate taking this shit out for metal detectors. And well, I realize for some reason in 10 years I may end up not liking something I did to my body. I am willing to take and live with that risk. But every one of my piercings and tattoos have a meaning of some kind, so I'm content with them.

Ass Hole: Well, I think only sleazy people, like rednecks and white trash mess around with tattoos. Have you ever seen an ATTRACTIVE tattoo or piercing?

Me: ... Yes.

Ass Hole: Well, what I'm saying is people with tattoos and piercings are sleazy. And people that smoke cigarettes, that's sleazy, too. All I'm saying is that tattoos and piercings are intended to make a "statement", which is usually only made by people that desperately want attention, and only really sleazy people do it. Mature and self-respecting people don't get tattoos or piercings, do they?

( At this point, I got very annoyed with him and his big fucking opinionated beliefs, we got in a fight where he was all, "No, but I like when you're sleazy!" and so I made him leave. )

2. Didymus Doppelgänger

Didymus Doppelgänger Misfit Lover

Your bf sounds close minded and ignorant. But I guess everyone is to some extent.

3. lefttothenight

lefttothenight Member

He is, which is kind of funny because he's always going on and on about his "open-mindedness" and "willingness to try new things".

I guess I'm kind of looking to see if anyone is going to take his side on this argument, and if they can actually give me something to think about. Also, I'm contemplating whether or not I have the right to kick this ignorant Ass Hole in the balls.

4. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well, yes, I basically agree with AssHole, except for the part about sleazy. I kinda agree with that, too, but I've seen plenty of nice people with tattoos. I just think that they made a mistake I'll never make.

Basically, I feel this way because I place a high value on changing your mind and this is permanent. "All Things Must Pass" -- except tattoos and piercings. I also can't help thinking that almost all piercings are hideous.

This stuff was once rebellious, but now it's conformity.

5. Didymus Doppelgänger

A lot of people who think they are open minded and intelligent are often just the opposite.
    I agree with him partly. I don't think tattoos make you sleazy. But I do think its something you should ponder on. I certainly don't like the same things now as i did 5 years ago. My taste has changed dramatically. You never know, maybe in5 years after you get that tattoo, it might not represent you in the way that you want. You'll want to get a tattoo that you KNOW will always represent you.
    I wanted to get "Free thinkers are dangerous" tattooed on me and I still do. Especially because it has multiple meanings for me. The day that i don't agree with that quote shall never come. Unless, of course, in the future I become very close minded and a tool. If that happens I'll still be able to relate to the quote because I'll be afraid of free thinkers :D.

6. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

i have a tattoo.. and i want more... and more peircings...

i dont think theres anything wrong with them!!

its art :d

its nice :D

and some tattoos are even sexy :D

7. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

You both kinda sound whiny. Although I do agree with you. However people usually can be stereotyped or summed up by their appearence. Fat people: lazy, don't take care of themselves. Active people: clean lifestyle, are careful about their diets. Punk people: usually a little arrogant, argumentative. Guys with neck tattoos: usually sell coke or meth, have nice watches, probably have an illegitimate child or two. Nerds: usually have a number of allergies, not much experiencxe with the sex of their choice. Lunarverse: opinionated prick but calls it like he see's it :)

8. Didymus Doppelgänger

I agree. Most people get angry when they are stereotyped, but thats because of the ego. Nobody likes to think that they can be stereotyped by their image and that they are like many other people, instead of the individual that they feel they are. Of course, there are many people who you can stereotype, but will be completely wrong about.

9. Didymus Doppelgänger

Your tattoo defines sexy, lynz.

10. lefttothenight

lefttothenight Member

Well, stereotypes are based off of SOME form of validity, even if they don't hold true in all or every case, or they've become extinct in reality. I realize that. But it's not like I have a skull on my bicep or something.

I don't know. Mister Ass Hole does have a point, I suppose. Maybe I was so easy to reject it because he presents things in such an arrogant and ass-hole-y manner.

I'm still going to do what I want though. It really comes down to that, I don't care what people think look sleazy or not.

11. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

haha why thank you :p:eek:

12. addictedt0chaos

addictedt0chaos Lunar Dreadlocks

Badly done tattoos, or poorly thought out ones, can make a person look sleazy, especially if the person already is. For the most part, I love them on people. Body modification is art and not everyone understands it or likes it and that's fine.

Everyone has a different definition of beauty. To me it's not a statement of rebellion or conformity. I do it for myself and if people view it a certain way, so be it.

13. Pamcakes

Pamcakes Member

I love my brother to death, but he's 38 or something and still lives in my grandma's baement with no job.
    No piercings, or tattoos.

I on the other hand, am 20 years old, tattooed up, peirced up, ears gauged to 3/4's and getting bigger. And I have a great job at Hard Rock Cafe.

Fuck all that "getting a real job" bullshit. I would dump his ass in a second.

14. Didymus Doppelgänger

=) you kick arse.

15. amybird

amybird Senior Member

I'd like to know what the hell a "real" job is anyway. As far as I can tell, it's usually pretty boring, and all the "not a real" jobs seem to be creative and fun.

And why does everyone make such a big deal about how a tattoo will look when we're older? When we're older we'll have crummy skin, so why should we worry about "ruining" it? A more logical argument along that theme would be, why not wait until your skin is old and crummy, instead of ruining your beautiful youthful skin?

Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in having all sorts of physical features I'd like to change, which have bugged or depressed me for years, which I can never change, and the concept of permanently having something I won't always (or ever) like is something which just has to be dealt with. A chance to design one's own appearance would be nice. A tattoo is more along those lines. It starts off as something we liked so much that we wanted to have it always on us....surely that gives it a flying start in the dealing with having it forever competition....?

16. Pamcakes

Pamcakes Member

Why thank you. :D

And yeah, "real" jobs mean nothing.
    I know both a preacher AND a teacher (did not mean to rhyme) who have full body suites. They wear suites to cover their suites (haha). They're respectful people, with respectful "real" jobs.
    I find it so stupid how people can be so ignorant, and keeping their thoughts in small minded boxes, such as only sleazy people having tattoos and piercings. That is such a stupid thing to think, and even stupider to say out loud.

Does this mean he thinks you're sleazy for having such things? If I were you, I'd go for someone cooler. Because only cool people have piercings and tattoos. ;)

17. soaddodger

soaddodger Member

i am getting my first tattoo today guess i am going to be sleazy 4 lyfe!! :D

18. soaddodger

soaddodger Member

i like this, thank you for typing this.

19. rockitup2000

rockitup2000 Guest

Anyway, so I noticed there were some mistakes in the original post so I corrected them - below:

Me: Remember when you were in the tattoo parlor last week thinking about getting a tattoo? Well, I'm really glad you didn't. Tattoos are so ... permanent. I mean, in 10 years why would anyone want to have their body marked? It's like you can never forget it, you gotta remember forever.

Asshole: Well, duh. Tattoos are often gotten with the INTENTION of being remembered forever... They're supposed to be permanent. They don't have to, but a lot of people get tattoos that mean something to them so they never regret them. Like how I'm going to get a tattoo for my dad. Why would I ever regret that?

Me: Because it's on your body and that's gross. I mean, once you get a tattoo or piercing, especially visible ones, you can basically cross off ever getting a REAL job. And why would you want to mark up your body in the first place? What if you end up not liking it?

Asshole: .... First off, discrimination based off of physical appearance should be destroyed, anyway. If someone won't hire me because I have a piercing on my face, then I will gladly kick them in the nuts. Because I have a metal stud in my face doesn't mean any judgment can be drawn about me, except for the fact that I probably won't do too well traveling cause I hate taking this shit out for metal detectors. And well, I realize for some reason in 10 years I may end up not liking something I did to my body. I am willing to take and live with that risk. But every one of my piercings and tattoos have a meaning of some kind, so I'm content with them.

Me: Well, I think only sleazy people, like rednecks and white trash mess around with tattoos. Have you ever seen an ATTRACTIVE tattoo or piercing?

Asshole: ... Yes.

Me: Well, what I'm saying is people with tattoos and piercings are sleazy. And people that smoke cigarettes, that's sleazy, too. All I'm saying is that tattoos and piercings are intended to make a "statement", which is usually only made by people that desperately want attention, and only really sleazy people do it. Mature and self-respecting people don't get tattoos or piercings, do they?

Asshole: ....Duh....err....I just realised I really am a total asshole.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

LOL

Now I'm going to enjoy reading the rest of it lmao