Literacy strategies in homeschool & alternative educational settings

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by malakala, Jun 15, 2009.

1. malakala

malakala Member

Hello all...as some may remember from previous posts, I'm an English teacher at a public vocational/technical high school. I'm involved in a group study of literacy strategies. When picking my particular topic for research, I decided to examine strategies and techniques of those in home school & alternative educational settings. I'll be presenting to the group on my findings, hoping that we can cull some ideas from whatever I discover. The good of the kids is what we all want, and in the spirit of working together toward that end I'd love to hear your ideas on how you establish & foster literacy in your curriculums. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

2. TheatreMommy

TheatreMommy Member

When you talk about literacy, would you define the parameters more? Is it media literacy? Literacy in a very classical sense? Would this include ways to involve the reluctant reader?

I'm not a homeschool mom yet, but that is a goal of mine and I am also thinking of these parts of teaching. I'm not doing a project, but I'd love to hear about what other parents have done.