• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31 zencoyote

zencoyote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 05:45 PM

too stoned to pack bowls, dunno but sounds like you boys might be rook's.

Ha!!! I was smoking Acpulco Gold, Panama Red, Red Columbian, Thai stick, Park Lanes and other weed before you were a gleam in your Pappy's eye. Rook indeed.

Considering my past expieriences in fighting and of the such I have come to the steadfast conclusion I would slay all of you, Merely because of my gigantic stature and physical build.

I'll get my walking stick....

Zen
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.

-Thomas Jefferson

#32 Spirit Wynd

Spirit Wynd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 06:39 PM

Ha!!! I was smoking Acpulco Gold, Panama Red, Red Columbian, Thai stick, Park Lanes

Yeah man, I haven't seen that stuff in years... been searching while I was smoking, found good stuff here and there, but nothing like the classics...
I bid you hail friend, you know it brother!!!

I did find blonde hash and some other hash from India a while back, made from the pollen of the mature plant... heard they walked through the fields with arms outstretched and the gooey, resinous pollen stuck to their arms, then they balled it up and packed it... pure unrefined goodness...
it kicked my ass and I had huge tolerence.

With that thought, I bid you peace.

#33 Earl of Obe

Earl of Obe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted June 26 2009 - 06:06 AM

I have a black belt in Sum Dom Fuk and if you are ever faced with a knife weilding jackass who wants to engage in a knife fight, chances are great you will be slashed and stabbed...the best defense is to go out and buy some really comfortable shoes and join a track team to learn how to run fast and long!

#34 Musikero

Musikero

• PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted June 26 2009 - 07:01 PM

LOL, for a moment there I thought you were talking about a real MA. :D My two cents, which agree with yours: If said jackass is showing you his knife guess what? That's good news! Cause you can see his knife! Now you know for sure that it's not in your best interests to mess with him so get the fuck outta there. No need to play hero. This coming from a martial artist who cross trains in Aikido and Kali.

#35 Hippie McRaver

Hippie McRaver

• PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted June 26 2009 - 11:12 PM

LOL, for a moment there I thought you were talking about a real MA. :D My two cents, which agree with yours: If said jackass is showing you his knife guess what? That's good news! Cause you can see his knife! Now you know for sure that it's not in your best interests to mess with him so get the fuck outta there. No need to play hero. This coming from a martial artist who cross trains in Aikido and Kali.

agreed, from a martial artist who trains in shotokan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#36 HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper

learning a new way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted July 08 2009 - 05:02 AM

A violent man dies a violent death - Lao Tzu

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.

#37 Musikero

Musikero

• PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted July 08 2009 - 05:17 AM

Just beat it - Michael Jackson

#38 PhilipFry

PhilipFry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 04:07 PM

avoid knife fights...if you roll with someone that knows what theyre doing, youre going to get cut even if you "win". learn it, practice it, take classes (i recommend modern arnis), and most of all, if you ever run into a situation where you may need to use it, try running first.

#39 flurryfury

flurryfury

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 08:10 PM

What are some good noobie knives?

#40 Lafincoyote

Lafincoyote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted July 29 2009 - 06:28 AM

The best way to survive a knife fight is to make sure your knife has a trigger, and shoots bullets.
  • scratcho and ArtOfJaCOb like this

#41 mastercylinder

mastercylinder

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted July 29 2009 - 07:53 AM

tell u the truth knife fighting scares me--used to do it as a teen so nobody died but the blood andshere terror of facing someone with a knife who wants to hurt yu is intens--swicthed to nanchucks they do alot more hurtful damage and keep the enemy farther away

#42 Musikero

Musikero

• PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted August 01 2009 - 09:56 PM

One that's wooden or plastic and not sharp. No such thing as a knife especially made for noobies - all real knives are sharp and anyone can use them to make you bleed if they really want to regardless of their level of expertise.

What are some good noobie knives?

#43 Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle

Minister of propaganda

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted August 01 2009 - 09:59 PM

Knife fighting...:smilielol5:
The maestro says it's Mozart, but it sounds like bubblegum.

"The rabbi gets the salary, and the mohel gets the tips."

#44 Musikero

Musikero

• PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted August 01 2009 - 10:45 PM

^I know. Of all the things you can be studying in Free School, why this?

Knife fighting only exists in movies and tv shows. Or in the dojo. Nobody picks up a knife in order to "knife fight" - he's either threatening you with it so you'll give him what he wants (like your wallet) or he wants to kill you.

If he wants something from you, you have to ask yourself: "Is whatever he wants from me worth risking my life for or can I let him have it (while being on guard at the same time cause he might decide to kill me anyway)?"

If he wants to kill you, do you really think it's gonna be a "knife fight" a la Seagal vs. Tommy Lee Jones in Under Seige? Even if you do have your own knife, he's not gonna give you a chance to draw it. Chances are you won't even see his knife.

#45 Musikero

Musikero

• PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted August 01 2009 - 10:53 PM

With all due respect to Tang Soo Do and your black belt buddy:

He can kick it out of my hand only if my hand is not moving (read that: I'm not actively trying to slash or stab him with it). Hands are rather small and fast-moving targets. Very hard to hit. Besides, this tactic is based on the assumption that I will be showing him my knife before attacking.

buddy of mine who's got a black belt in tong so do once told me that you're supposed to hold a knife like you're stabbing someone, holding the blade away from your "opponent." otherwise, he can kick it out of your hand.

yeah, find a reputable looking video on youtube and learn from that.

#46 Sebastunes

Sebastunes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted August 23 2009 - 12:22 PM

who needs knifes when you have jedi mind powers?

#47 SenorBong

SenorBong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted August 23 2009 - 02:48 PM

For training purposes, I'd check out some Krav Maga classes. You can youtube krav maga knife fighting for a few demonstrations, which will be more helpful than reading about it.

And from a practical standpoint, musikero is right. If someone has a knife and wants your wallet, don't fight them. It doesn't take much skill to be deadly with one.

#48 zombiewolf

zombiewolf

• PipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts

Posted August 24 2009 - 02:08 PM

The old saying is "don't show up to a gunfight with a knife..."

For a knifefight...

just don't show up
.:cool:

ZW

#49 Hippie McRaver

Hippie McRaver

• PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted August 24 2009 - 08:49 PM

who needs knifes when you have jedi mind powers?

or a gun
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#50 PeaceInTheStreets

PeaceInTheStreets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 24 2009 - 08:53 PM

What are you planning on a knife fight? Like seriously? Goin ninja style on your block?
"but i'll straight up stop waiting like time always does to you- time will surely get the best of you"

:peace:

#51 Musikero

Musikero

• PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted August 31 2009 - 07:03 PM

By the way, be very wary of knife fighting videos. Some of them are full of crap that won't help in a violent situation and will most likely get you killed. My instructor and I just watched this video last saturday where the idiot posing as instructor performed the dumbest, most lame-ass knife disarm we've ever seen - the kind that will work only if the guy with the knife is holding it very loosely.

#52 gothlord

gothlord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 27 2009 - 02:14 PM

personally i feel there's nothing wrong with learning how to defend yourself with whatever instrument is at hand...after 20+ years of martial arts training i can truely say that training to defend is not a lifestyle of violence, but can be very spiritual with the addition of meditation and inner reflection...p.s. the very best art of self defense is learning how to avoid placing yourself in situations where violence has to be your only answer to a means of escape....on a final note, most of the people i know who carry a knife have done so for a very long time and as is the case in most situations the fight is usually over in the flash of an eye and all thats left for you to do is bleed........

#53 gcdude22

gcdude22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted June 29 2010 - 04:27 PM

I believe if you fight, you should fight to win. Knives are no exception. though if you brought a knife, Id bring a sniper rifle. and Id bring it a mile away.

#54 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,927 posts
  • LocationKissMyAss Penisylvania

Posted June 29 2010 - 05:06 PM

I believe if you fight, you should fight to win. Knives are no exception. though if you brought a knife, Id bring a sniper rifle. and Id bring it a mile away.

and you would have ample time to scoop out obstacles, vector in wind velocity, for a kill shot? :rolleyes:.. :D
gallery_104050_1936_34168.jpg

Into the flood again
Same old trip it was back then
So I made a big mistake
Try to see it once my way

#55 Musikero

Musikero

• PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted June 29 2010 - 06:02 PM

http://www.nononsens.../knifelies.html

Here's some points the author makes:
Lie #1 You're going to have time to draw your own weapon
"In all the times I have been assaulted with knives, only once was I able to pull my own weapon. And I didn't carry a folder, I carried a sheath knife that I had repeatedly practiced speed drawing. I could, in a crisis, draw and deploy a knife in just over one second. This is not idle boasting, I demonstrate it in many of my videos. And yet, despite this incredible rate of speed, when attacked I didn't have time to draw my knife except for the one time that I leaped wildly backwards to gain space.

That's because by the time I realized there was a knife involved, I was already being attacked...

...Most knife "fighting" training is predicated on the assumption that you have somehow managed to get a blade in your hand."

Lie #2 It's going to be a knife "fight"

Lie #3 "But what if I'm cornered?"

"The truth is, it is incredibly difficult to "corner" someone who is determined to leave. Basically because he will use your face as traction or squirt through the smallest of holes."

Lie #4 He's going to attack you a certain way

Lie# 5 And then he is going to passively stand there while you carve him

Lie #6 Trapping and stripping

Lie #7 Bio-mechanical cutting

"In the eyes of the law, a knife is a deadly weapon. It's use on another human is classified as lethal force. And the only time you are justified in using lethal force -- in most states -- is when you are "in immediate threat of death or grievous bodily injury." In otherwords, if it is bad enough where you have to use a knife on someone, it is bad enough to kill them. If you are at a point where you are just trying to wound someone, you are not in enough danger to justify using a knife."

Lie #8 Knowing how to stickfight means you know how to knife fight

Lie # 9 Knowing kali makes you a knife fighter

"Kali, Escrima, Arnis, FMA, all of them have the aura and mystery of being weapons based arts. Deadly, savage arts of the Filipino warriors....

... these older gentlemen survived a totally different culture, socio-economic environment, time and, in some cases, a World War and foreign invasion of their homeland.

That having been said however, just because the founder of the system or lineage was a walking piece of bad-assed real-estate doesn't make you one.

They weren't knife fighters, those people were survivors. It's what comes from living a hellishly hard life. While they had physical skill that helped them, what kept them alive, what allowed them to strike fast enough, hard enough and brutally enough wasn't their art -- it was the commitment not to die. It was that grim savagery to do whatever is necessary and to do it faster and harder than the other person that kept them alive. In the lexicon, they had "heart."

Their art just allowed them to do that faster..."

Lie #10 Grappling with a knife

The list goes on. Anybody seriously considering taking up "knife fighting" better read this.

#56 Katana

Katana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted June 29 2010 - 06:42 PM

I'm a karate black belt. I teach a drill for knife fighting.

1 Back foot across, mawate (turn).

2 Run like hell.

If that drill isn't available, ask yourself: why are you in a position of being threatened with a knife? Who are you hanging with? Where are you, when and why?

The only certainty in a knife fight is that you will bleed.

Stay safe. Apologise to an antagonist. Buy him a drink. Give him your wallet/phone/car keys if he demands them. All of those losses are temporary and fleeting. Loss of an eye, or of your life, is evidently permanent and tragic.

Just my 2c.

#57 MagnumMan

MagnumMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted June 29 2010 - 10:34 PM

Nothing like a good ole' fashioned knife fight to settle a difference

#58 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted June 30 2010 - 07:53 AM

Big ass axe > knife.
Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#59 snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted July 29 2010 - 04:00 AM

A better class would be in how to defuse a violent situation without having to stoop to that....:)

#60 Musikero

Musikero

• PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted August 02 2010 - 07:48 PM

Smart suggestion.

To further elaborate: what would be interesting is a self defense class that focuses on preventing an assault from happening through avoidance and/or deescalation - instead of how to deal with an attack that's already happening.

I think people tend to think of self- defense as pure damage control: the attack is happening and you have literally a second or two to do something to survive - hence the focus on martial body movements, weapons, etc.

But self-defense should be actually two-fold. It must have a preventive component, and this component should ideally be backed up with a capability to apply appropriate physical force. These two components complement and support each other. The preventive component minimizes the likelihood of being attacked and possibly even alerts the defender of an impending attack. On the other hand, the use-of-force capability functions as a back-up should the preventive measures fail.

Now, the use-of-force component is pretty much what is being addressed. You have your martial arts schools, both traditional and non-traditional. As well, people can purchase pepper sprays, knives, guns, etc.

But that's just one component.