Wisdom Falls on Deaf Ears

Discussion in 'Hippie Wisdom' started by Spiritchalist, Mar 1, 2009.

1. CalicoSilver

CalicoSilver Member

Whenever the student is ready, the teacher shall appear.

2. Blue Sun

Blue Sun Guest

Being new here I will volunteer my perspective. It does no harm, and may do a little good for some. For intent and purpose I'm addressing other old farts like me here who may encounter similar difficulties relating to this thread title - "Wisdom Falls on Deaf Ears".

Being relatively older with considerable experience which relates to a forum such as this, I thought 'why not?' I saw titles such as "Ask the Old Hippies" and threads asking for advice about the 60's, Woodstock, psychedelic experiences, etc.. I thought to myself 'here are younger folks who seem to be interested in things I've found along the path of my life, maybe I can be of some assistance here.'

Of course it took only one day to encounter a 22-year-old know-it-all with an inflated ego and a jealous attitude towards anyone he perceives as a threat to his self-image. This young man has well over 21,000 posts on this forum :eek:, which indicates not much time left for living actual real experiences... so it's no suprise his inflated internet persona has nothing to offer but resentment, derision and a flapping cartoon duck. :D

Nevertheless, since he was posting in a thread asking advice from those of us who were at Woodstock, I offered him some truth with a little constructive criticism thrown in. Not much hope for it. Of course he knew more about an event that happened 20 years before he was born than someone who was actually there. :rolleyes

The point is, these types are everywhere you go, and one shouldn't let them set the tone for what can otherwise be a very pleasant and fulfilling experience. For every angry misguided kid like this there are other young people who genuinely seek wisdom and are interested in learning and improving themselves. Those are the ones who make all those years and experiences worth sharing. These wonderful kids are our hope for the future.

The angry flapping ducklings of the world will always be around, and since they doen't want to learn, they probably won't. Don't waste your energy letting them get in the way of good intentions and caring for our younger brothers and sisters. Our time on the Wheel is relatively short, so we should make the most of focusing on positivity and love. Onwards and upwards! :2thumbsup:

Peace

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wisdom is in the ears of the beholder. What you perceive as wisdom, someone else may see as bullshit. It takes all types of people to make a world. So be yourself, follow the path you choose, and let the other person choose their path.

4. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

When you think you know more than everybody else, you are in deep trouble. Every teenager seems to go through that phase.

Every year, the list of things I know gets longer, but the list of things I don't know is growing even faster! :D

5. WE1

WE1 Member

One of the problems with this forum is young people coming here with preconceived notions that are not based on personal experience. And when they encounter an adult with direct knowledge of the subject matter under discussion they become disrespectful condescending and argumentative.

6. roamy

roamy Senior Member

wise people are people who already know that they know very little about anything and that if they live ta be 100 they will still be always learning.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

"A very wise man once said 'I'm not all that wise, teach me' "

8. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Exactly-I am learning I can not change people places or things, just me. It's a hard lesson

Peace

9. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

sure we cannnn

10. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

hey! I like duck!

I don't know the thread that you are talking about, so I can't comment on the particulars. I've certainly disagreed with duck has had to say, but over all he seems to be pretty nice and in general is a positive member of the community.

Maybe he was in a bad mood. Or maybe it was something about what you said. I haven't read the thread.

Some of the things you said about duck seem a little too harsh. Maybe if you saw some of his other posts, you would think differently about him.

If you could speak to your own self when you were the same age, maybe you would have gotten a similar reaction. Young people then, as now, were fed up with being controlled by their elders, and rebelled.

Samuel Beckett once said, "If I only knew then what I know now... and if I only knew now what I knew then"

11. oceanicbliss

oceanicbliss Member

The true wisdom to be learned here is not to start thread declaring yourself the teacher of true wisdom, hahahaha .

True wisdom is realising you have no one to teach but yourself .

But thats been said here a million times .

The irony is we are all preaching this yet trying to share this wisdom with another, lol .

12. freedomrider

freedomrider Member

The reality is that some people will never hear or see truth, because they have made their facade very strong out of fear. Fear is a powerful motivator and makes human beings do a lot of stupid things, like doing or believing things just to be accepted.

I remember once I was in a workplace with some people that were entirely self absorbed and materialistic. Their only concern was maintaining a huge house in a suburb and competing at work. But there were a few of us in this group that didn't think like that, and over the years, the culture of that workplace changed for the better.

But if you set out to change someone that will never happen - why would you want to "impart your wisdom on them" anyway? Maybe their particular path requires them to go through that experience or lifestyle, it's all grist for the mill in the end.

13. Gr4ssh0pp3r

Gr4ssh0pp3r Member

Wisdom can be imparted but has a particular timing and pace of its own. Silence is good, at times. At times, a shout works. Many times, tuning it down a notch helps.

At times, it is a personal addiction that people have to impart their brand of wisdom upon others. Other times, living wisdom falls deaf upon shallow souls. Wisdom means disillusionment, and disillusionment is not always so fun.

14. freedomrider

freedomrider Member

That's pretty funny, I think we've all ran into the angry flapping ducklings with 21,00 posts.

Our culture has tended to produce more and more people that think like this unfortunately. The corporate machine teaches from day one to consume and to compete. Its very hard to break out of that rut without some strong psychedelic substance or some other life changing experience, so it's unlikely that some old codger hippies yapping on an internet forum are going to change anything. And that's OK with me.

Actually remembering the "old days" there were people just like that back then too. Remember the ones that were trying to "be a better hippie than you"? "Wow the acid I took was WAY better than your acid". "I've been to 20 Grateful Dead concerts, how many have you seen?" Shallow people are around in every group and culture.

15. newo

A line from Jesus Christ Superstar:

But what is truth?
    Is truth unbending law?
    We all have truths,
    Are mine the same as yours?

You need to accept the fact that not everybody sees the world the way you see it.

16. Gr4ssh0pp3r

Gr4ssh0pp3r Member

So, how many Grateful Dead concerts have you seen?

:confused:

17. databunny

databunny Member

thanks Tisha, this one's a beaut to add to my collection :hurray:

to the OP - perhaps try to remember that everyone is on a journey of sorts. some of those journeys include buying shoes and random stuff, trying out all the aspects of being alive. we are all different in how we express our aliveness, so we're not all going to be into the same wisdom at the same time. it isn't really up to any of us to say what is right or wrong for another person - not even me telling you this is truly appropriate, because i am just another idiot, tooling along through life, loving it, living it.

barefoot, mostly :D

18. Gr4ssh0pp3r

Gr4ssh0pp3r Member

A wise person who is not willing to be a fool has usually become too wise for her own good.

:hide:

19. newo

So, be wise but be willing to be stupid? :confused:

20. Gr4ssh0pp3r

Gr4ssh0pp3r Member

Depends... but, yeah, sorta...

One that leads must also follow...