• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Spiritchalist

Spiritchalist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted March 01 2009 - 10:49 PM

I feel I maybe too wise for my body's age.

I feel and know I have so much wisdom to impart upon people who need it that I will meet somewhere in this life, but the people I know now are deaf to it save for a select few. Nobody cares about anything but getting their hair dyed, or buying those shoes they saw in the window, or cashing their cheque (that's how we spell it in Canada).

Should I try anyway, or what's the point in playing music for a deaf man.

#2 neodude1212

neodude1212

• 11,720 posts

Posted March 01 2009 - 10:51 PM

Sometimes I struggle with the same thing.

Perhaps noone is listening to you for a reason. When we've reached the point that we are frustrated that no one will listen to our great and important message, we have reached a point where we are back to square one. Perhaps the universe is telling you that it is time for you to listen rather than speak.

Even the greatest teachers still learn.

#3 Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy

Zen & Bearded

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted March 01 2009 - 10:57 PM

I feel and know I have so much wisdom to impart upon people who need it that I will meet somewhere in this life, but the people I know now are deaf to it save for a select few. Nobody cares about anything but getting their hair dyed, or buying those shoes they saw in the window, or cashing their cheque (that's how we spell it in Canada).

There are those of us who are willing to listen. I find it interesting that even with my vast knowledge of religion older folks continue to look down upon me when I discourse in that area and say that I know nothing.
:peace: “Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.”
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 McFuddy

McFuddy

Never quite zen

• 1,757 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 05:03 AM

There's an old adage - The first step to wisdom is admitting that you know nothing.

Most people think that they are wise and know a great deal. Realize that you are not special; and the odds are that if you feel the need to proclaim your great wisdom on a forum, you probably aren't as wise as you thought you were to begin with. The braggart is often the opposite of what he claims.

People listen to example, not mere words. Prove your wisdom by action, and people will naturally be interested in what you have to say. Stand on a soapbox in a mall, and people will ignore you, as they rightly should.

#5 neim

neim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 05:08 AM

Prove your wisdom by action, and people will naturally be interested in what you have to say.

read up boys
:D

#6 shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 7,630 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 05:15 AM

I find that speaking from experience, using what you have learned from your life and help someone get over a hump by relating your experience with it may help with insight and the knowing you are not unique unto this, may help bring light to the subject.

Atho the experience may have helped you, it may not be what is or resonates with someone else experience. It's what we need to gleen from an experience that will help us understand the others experiences more clearly.

I cannot say, this is the way for all to follow, it's just my path. If we meet on the same path, cool, we can help each other along the way.

Bright Blessings on your journey
sh

#7 Tisha Mc

Tisha Mc

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,484 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 05:28 AM

You sound just like a teenager.

Perhaps the universe is telling you that it is time for you to listen rather than speak.

Very good advice. Like they say. It's better to stay silent and let people think you an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Open your ears.
All of McFuddy's post is good advice.
All teens feel that they have all the answers. And they all feel underappreciated and unheard. Very soon you will realize that you have no idea. At 23 I'm just getting to that point. I still have my know-it-all moments. But when you've been challenged by someone with real wisdom, you will either reject what they have to say and debate them into the ground with circle rationality or you will close your mouth and learn from great masters.
Have you ever seen an older adult that seems to have learned nothing from their years on earth? That was once a teenage boy who never realized that he knew nothing. And if you keep up the attitude you have now, one day you will be him.

#8 zencoyote

zencoyote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 06:42 AM

what's the point in playing music for a deaf man.

Friends of mine who are deaf love music. They can FEEL it!!! Knowledge baby!!!

I must say I'm quite curious as to what pearls of wisdom you're trying to impart.
Could you tell us? I for one will make no judgment.

I tend to think the word "wisdom" is misunderstood. According to Websters wisdom is; "the power of judging rightly and following the soundest course of action based on knowledge, experience and understanding."

Wisdom is not something you carry around with you. Wisdom is USING your knowledge, experience etc. at a specific time and place for a reason.

I mean you no harm....that statement of yours show a lack of knowledge. AND a bit of an ego trip. The wise have learned some humility and do not speak of it.

Learn and observe...that will make you wise. But lose the "I have great wisdom to impart" thing.

Zen
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.

-Thomas Jefferson

#9 Spiritchalist

Spiritchalist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 08:02 AM

I guess this thread is only another step onto the path.

I apologize for my self-proclaimed wisdom that I see now I don't have. I am young, in fact, and glad I'm learning this lesson sooner than later.

Perhaps what I meant to say, rather than not having a fellow soul to impart wisdom upon, is that I don't have a fellow soul to reap wisdom with.

Thanks everyone, I think I've already heard what I needed to.

:cheers2:

#10 zencoyote

zencoyote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 08:05 AM

I apologize for my self-proclaimed wisdom that I see now I don't have. I am young, in fact, and glad I'm learning this lesson sooner than later.

Perhaps what I meant to say, rather than not having a fellow soul to impart wisdom upon, is that I don't have a fellow soul to reap wisdom with.

Now that shows some wisdom! You're on your way.

Zen
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.

-Thomas Jefferson

#11 NotDead

NotDead

Not even close.

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 08:36 AM

Most people have to learn by their own experience. You want to help them, but you really can't, because they are not ready to listen. There is nothing that you can do about it. Just embrace your own life experience, feel joy from it, and do not consider yourself selfish when circumstances prevent you from sharing it in a meaningful way. Opportunities will come to you, in their own time.

gallery_144011_8064_856.jpg

The more wrong a person is about something, the more certain he is that he is correct. I am absolutely sure about this.

#12 hippiestead

hippiestead

Ms.Cinnamon

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 10:31 AM

I hope that your ending statement doesn't mean that you have stopped looking or listening.

To me, life is about learning...there is always more to learn no matter how much you know. Those whom I have learned the most from are those who show me their lessons rather than those who tell me.
Posted Image
Just an Individual Against a Collective Conforming Society

#13 Kathryn O

Kathryn O

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 06:13 AM

i started working with the Law of Attraction many decades ago and attracted that what I seek into my life, including types of people I needed.

#14 Varuna

Varuna

• 1,595 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 05:41 PM

Keep doing it. The real challenge is communicating your wisdom. The wisdom may not change, but the expression of it certainly does.
The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that.

#15 dormouse

dormouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 05:52 PM

so okay, ya get humbled out a little. every self honest person needs help with that now and then. but hey! that doesn't mean you don't truly have wisdoms to impart. lay em on us, kiddo and let us relate to your groove.

#16 white dove

white dove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted March 29 2009 - 04:55 AM

can you still see with ur eyes closed, or talk with out a mouth shut, its not fair to impair ur self with such a bourden, Wisdom is wise but can lead to ur demise, im diging you want to help ppl, but you cant help thoes who dont help them selfs, when its time you will see, just dont get stung by that killer bee, let life take shape and fall into place , trust ur self man, peace

#17 bearfeet

bearfeet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted June 27 2009 - 05:21 PM

we're all wise...it's in everyone of us, but there are always two sides to a whole...the "deaf" arn't all they seem, they subconciously are choosing not to listen, theyre protecting themselves...sometimes lying to yourself is the easy thing to do

clothes, looks, popularity;false fulfillment is numbing to the reality we all must one day accept

this earth is a test for everyone of us, why are you here?...

I like the buddhist philosophy that when you truly accept that you know nothing, you know everything. instead of talking, try listening and you will learn from the "deaf"

humility is key
Posted Image The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing

#18 scratcho

scratcho

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 10,774 posts

Posted June 27 2009 - 05:53 PM

"When knowledge is desired ,a teacher will appear."Carlos Castenada.--Simple,but so true.From both directions.

#19 Reverand JC

Reverand JC

Willy Fuckin' Wonka

• 3,903 posts

Posted February 18 2010 - 11:11 AM

Here's my 2 cents worth. Only volunteer your wisdom when asked. I know it's ironic since nobody asked me.

"To know that all of our knowledge is ignorance is truly a noble insight,"
-Lao Tzu

#20 Lemongait

Lemongait

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted March 06 2010 - 05:55 PM

Deafness falls on wise ears.

Posted Image

Remember life?

#21 CalicoSilver

CalicoSilver

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted July 06 2011 - 01:47 PM

Whenever the student is ready, the teacher shall appear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#22 Blue Sun

Blue Sun

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 08:36 AM

Being new here I will volunteer my perspective. It does no harm, and may do a little good for some. For intent and purpose I'm addressing other old farts like me here who may encounter similar difficulties relating to this thread title - "Wisdom Falls on Deaf Ears".

Being relatively older with considerable experience which relates to a forum such as this, I thought 'why not?' I saw titles such as "Ask the Old Hippies" and threads asking for advice about the 60's, Woodstock, psychedelic experiences, etc.. I thought to myself 'here are younger folks who seem to be interested in things I've found along the path of my life, maybe I can be of some assistance here.'

Of course it took only one day to encounter a 22-year-old know-it-all with an inflated ego and a jealous attitude towards anyone he perceives as a threat to his self-image. This young man has well over 21,000 posts on this forum :eek:, which indicates not much time left for living actual real experiences... so it's no suprise his inflated internet persona has nothing to offer but resentment, derision and a flapping cartoon duck. :D

Nevertheless, since he was posting in a thread asking advice from those of us who were at Woodstock, I offered him some truth with a little constructive criticism thrown in. Not much hope for it. Of course he knew more about an event that happened 20 years before he was born than someone who was actually there. :rolleyes

The point is, these types are everywhere you go, and one shouldn't let them set the tone for what can otherwise be a very pleasant and fulfilling experience. For every angry misguided kid like this there are other young people who genuinely seek wisdom and are interested in learning and improving themselves. Those are the ones who make all those years and experiences worth sharing. These wonderful kids are our hope for the future.

The angry flapping ducklings of the world will always be around, and since they doen't want to learn, they probably won't. Don't waste your energy letting them get in the way of good intentions and caring for our younger brothers and sisters. Our time on the Wheel is relatively short, so we should make the most of focusing on positivity and love. Onwards and upwards! :2thumbsup:

Peace

#23 newo

newo

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 2,964 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 08:01 AM

Wisdom is in the ears of the beholder. What you perceive as wisdom, someone else may see as bullshit. It takes all types of people to make a world. So be yourself, follow the path you choose, and let the other person choose their path.
Posted Image
NORTHWESTERN U.S. FORUM http://www.hipforums...splay.php?f=145

#24 Karen J

Karen J

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 3,256 posts
  • Locationpostmodern suburbia

Posted March 08 2012 - 10:37 AM

When you think you know more than everybody else, you are in deep trouble. Every teenager seems to go through that phase.

Every year, the list of things I know gets longer, but the list of things I don't know is growing even faster! :D

Life is short. Try to spend most of it on the good stuff.

It costs you nothing to dream, and everything not to.

#25 WE1

WE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted March 18 2012 - 01:09 PM

One of the problems with this forum is young people coming here with preconceived notions that are not based on personal experience. And when they encounter an adult with direct knowledge of the subject matter under discussion they become disrespectful condescending and argumentative.

#26 roamy

roamy

• 4,743 posts

Posted March 18 2012 - 01:45 PM

wise people are people who already know that they know very little about anything and that if they live ta be 100 they will still be always learning.

#27 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• 12,350 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted March 18 2012 - 02:13 PM

"A very wise man once said 'I'm not all that wise, teach me' "

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#28 uitar9

uitar9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 05:08 PM

"A very wise man once said 'I'm not all that wise, teach me' "

Exactly-I am learning I can not change people places or things, just me. It's a hard lesson

Peace

#29 jaredfelix

jaredfelix

Namaste ॐ

• Members
  • 5,272 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 05:35 PM

sure we cannnn

#30 ezm8

ezm8

• 5,794 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 06:46 PM

blue sun about duck

hey! I like duck!

I don't know the thread that you are talking about, so I can't comment on the particulars. I've certainly disagreed with duck has had to say, but over all he seems to be pretty nice and in general is a positive member of the community.

Maybe he was in a bad mood. Or maybe it was something about what you said. I haven't read the thread.

Some of the things you said about duck seem a little too harsh. Maybe if you saw some of his other posts, you would think differently about him.

If you could speak to your own self when you were the same age, maybe you would have gotten a similar reaction. Young people then, as now, were fed up with being controlled by their elders, and rebelled.

Samuel Beckett once said, "If I only knew then what I know now... and if I only knew now what I knew then"