Ireland?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by RaggaButterfly, Dec 26, 2008.

1. RaggaButterfly

RaggaButterfly Member

Anybody here from the republic of ireland??? I will be in Ireland next year doing voluntary work on organic farms, I live in spain, I was just wondering if anyone knows of some good places to visit in ireland?

2. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I live in Dublin :) how long are you coming for? The good thing about Ireland is you can visit everywhere in a short period of time as it's so small. Sounds interesting what your doing though...

3. sites

sites Member

I would love to visit Ireland. Me jealous. ^_^

4. RaggaButterfly

RaggaButterfly Member

Hopefully if i enjoy it im planning on staying for about a year, travelling to different parts of ireland while doing voluntary work, hopefully while travelling ill meet like minded people. Im going to tipperary first :D cant wait

5. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

I don't think Dublin is all that nice. I planned four days there but was gone in two, because I had felt I had seen everything.

The rest of Ireland however, is fantastic!! well Limerick the city as well wasn't that great. Anyway, anywhere from county Cork on up to Kerry and Galaway and beyond is beautiful. You will run into a few really nice national parks too along the way. Of course there is the Ring of Kerry but basically all the peninsulas below that (some of which are small) are highly worth it too! Sheeps head, mizen head and others I can not remember are nice, but crazy drives!!

Ireland is a very nice country and the people are some of the best I have ever run into. But, they don't seem to have much of a summer. You'll be lucky to see 20 in July!! haha. And rain all the time is half the truth. While it rains nearly every day, sometimes it is for an hour or less per day, often split into ten minute intervals at random parts of the day. In other words, weather does change quick which is a mixed blessing. Sun does not always last long but rain doesn't either. I remember one morning was absolute shit, windy and rainy and cold. But by afternoon the sun was out and I think the temp did peak its head over 20 and wind died down, just lovely weather! I think some rain came later that evening. It can come unexpectedily and hard even.

6. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Well if you have a year, sure. Not in a few weeks, not by a long shot. My gf and I made the mistake of thinking Ireland was small enough to do Dublin, County cork, Kerry and Galaway and the next county/region up in less than three weeks. We didn't even do that. It is bigger than you would think.

Part of that is because the roads in some areas are crazy and not well developed. Some areas the roads are thin and twist like crazy up and around hills and small mountains. Especially some of the roads on the pennisulas in Cork in the south west area of Ireland. Navigating those can be a nightmare. Irish are nice but crazy/fast drivers! Plus you need to hope that there is a place to pull over because the roads are slightly bigger than the width of one car. Taking that into account, it takes a long time to cover short distances, considering some of the climbs, twists and small roads you will take. That is what makes Ireland appear bigger to me post Ireland. I don't take the size of the country for granted anymore, lol.

Of course roads in and out of cities are perfectly devloped.

7. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

If you think you've seen everything Dublin has to offer in two days, then you really missed the boat ;)

8. Rivier

Rivier Member

Nah, I don't think either that Dublin is all that nice. From a tourist point of view (attractions and so on), you can have seen the major things in Dublin. I like the countryside with its little towns much more, but I'm not lucky to live in one of those. Although the city's word seeing. Actually I live in one of the worst suburbs of Dublin...Maybe that's another reason for my dislike of Dublin.

9. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I love Dublin so muchhh! where do you live Rivier if you don't mind me asking?xxx

10. Rivier

Rivier Member

I live in Tallaght, Jobstown. I ended up there because of the voluntary work I'm doing at the moment. Wow! Didn't expect t find somebody living in Dublin here!

11. shoota

shoota Member

im from the north of dublin. yeah dublin is pretty rubbish, quite literally aswl. just thought id post. i feel its my duty to post in every irish related forum :)

12. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

I grew up in Tallaght, twenty years, small world eh?

13. moachana

moachana Member

im from Belfast in the north of ireland

14. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

I'm from Dublin north inner city. all city's are much the same bricks and stone its good to get out to places like Wicklow and lots of other good places.

15. Irish Hippiebiker

Irish Hippiebiker Member

Im liven in cavan!=D its so....SHIT hahaha omg seriusly never stay a day here becose ya will kill yourself sadly,altho the fleah ceol (irish music festival was here this year and next so thats something to see but it is verry hard to get around town and the wasps oh how i hate the wasps lol

Im going to cycle round the country next year not to excited about goen throug limrick or the wiclow mountains becouse of the gangs ect and wiclow becouse of that basterd free murderer
    Or the rest of Ulster sorry Belfast person but its a scary thought,apart from all that i will be doing it:) lol just hope a crazy farmer dosent shoot me for camping on his land lmao

16. Poaia

Poaia Member

I am from Limerick.

17. JethroZoso

JethroZoso Member

Dublin is a small city. But, if you do some research beforehand you should have no problem finding lots of things to do that aren't on the tourist map.

Of course, Ireland has a big drinking culture and a lot of people base their free time around going out, meeting friends and new people, going to watch live music or have a quiet pint. Ireland has a huge percentage of people that play music and it's easy to find bars where you can catch a gig.

We don't have big clubs but a good few small ones that cater to specific genres of music. From Electronic: Techno, minimal, disco to metal bars and bars that play classic rock etc.

There are some nice city parks to visit and a couple of lovely coastal towns with harbours, with some nearby art galleries, restaurants and curiosities.

I've travelled to some cities around Europe: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Prague, Lisbon, Edinburgh and probably more but I always find that you must do a little work and research otherwise you'll find yourself walking around touristy places, getting sore feet and a little pee'd off that your not 'seeing' the place or 'there's nothing to do.'

18. maddog131

maddog131 Member

go to carigaholt in clare, on the west coast if you're into organic farming. there's tons of organic farms down there.

19. slapper

slapper Member

i'll agree with others dublin is a shitehole :devil:

i think its got more than its fair share of scumbags

peoples republic is the true capitol :2thumbsup:

hi all anyway

20. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Very nice!!!!

I found a radio station IN DUBLIN I LOVE!!!!! (I reckon you listen to it)

Q102: [color=1]http://webradio.radiomonitor.com/stream/Q102[/color]

Found it a few days ago and added it to my players favourite list straight away!! (I love hearing the LOCAL COMMERCIALS!! (USA stations play stupid INTERNET ADS which are quite annoying!!))