anyone else not watch tv?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by MatchboxAwakening, Nov 18, 2008.

1. MatchboxAwakening

MatchboxAwakening Member

i feel it dumbs me down, anyone else?

2. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

I am slowly getting away from tv. Most of the shit on it does rot your mind. I still watch a few things here and there. When you stop watching tv, all of a sudden you have time to do things like grow a garden, learn to play an instrument, learn to play chess etc. I think tv is like anything else in that it should be used in moderation.

3. Fyrenza

Fyrenza Queen of the Ians

i got out of the habit, years ago, and now, if i want to watch anything, it's usually old series that i can get on FanCast,

and watch, in the correct order, which in and of itself, is a minor miracle in TV viewing! ;)

4. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I haven't owned a TV in years. Had a few people offer to give me 1 since I have been at the Grand Canyon and they look at me as if I'm odd when I tell them that I don't need a TV.

I have the internet & the Grand Canyon...what the heck do I need a TV for?

5. medicalbud

medicalbud Member

Its all about whats you watch

I saw live the space shuttle take off 2 day ago on NASA channel.

Only watch movies with no ads

News is great to know the world

I love all the many education shows on directv just to name a few

I dont watch ads as well I muted few mins

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

poker killed it for me.. :(

7. medicalbud

medicalbud Member

from 99-06
    No TV first time ever ,yet I still have 21-24" 19by12 and later a 1080I monitor and used a fast line .
    I would go to sites and get TV shows 1 day old if popular if real popular 4 hrs after on TV.
    Movies too so I hand picked my TV and had no ads.
    I still do netflixs and dual layer everything and all TV shows and movies.

I went back to having a full entertaimnet center july 07
    because alot of visitors miss TV when staying over for at nite but thanks to 2 TB HD space of tv shows and movies all with no ads really helped .

I game alot too to miss alot of TV so netflix helps for tv shows if you missed a show in the season.

8. Sibbs

Sibbs Member

I just think tv is really boring.

I'll watch a few shows.. Family Guy, South Park, Futurama (come on they're dumb as shit but great when your high.)

And I love CSI, House.

That's about all I'll ever watch.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

House RULES!! he needs his own channel.

10. Molecular Mirage

Molecular Mirage Member

if anything , TV makes me absoluately smarter .!!!!.. becuase i have watched it sinse i was very littl and have learnd a LOT of nohledj ab-out caracters on TV sho's , how too werk a remot controll , how too sit stil on a sofar for long periods of teim i have tv too thank for ALL of thEs !!!!!!!!!!

11. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

no tv, house full of books

12. Eternity

Eternity Member

No TV, no radio, no newspapers - and it's great! I highly recommend it to everyone. It's only when you get out of this shit that you start to realize what you were caught up in.

13. tculi

tculi Senior Member

i dont watch any stupid dramas or anything that wont benefit me. i really like watching some national geographic channel shows, and occasionally shows like survivor man or man vs. wild. you can actually learn stuff from those shows.

14. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

almost never. when i do, it is almost always pbs. listen to radio; just npr and college radio. use internet and web. use netflix for movies. read books. don't read much in way of magazines, or newspapers.
    just way, way, way too much shit out there in the mainstream media!

15. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There's just too much truly excellent programming these days to not watch some of it. I really like PBS, Nova and This American Life for instance. The Science Channel has some good content, as does the Military Channel (if you like history/technology). I've seen some good stuff on the History Channel, but it has some real crap too. CourtTV became TruTV and it's a mixed bag. For a while it seemed that they'd gone to a pure pseudoscience format (so-called "psychics" and stuff about ghosts, etc.), but seems better lately.

I think the last full program I watched on television was "Growing Up Cheetah" on Animal Planet.

And yes I do occasionally watch some of the sitcoms, mostly the "fat guy married to MILF" shows such as "Still Standing." And one of the funniest routines I've seen in years was on an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond.

The worst of the worst seems to be "TV news," which is mostly junk, but at least there's CSPAN and its relatives that feature mostly writers doing talks about their works.

16. zenloki

zenloki Member

haven't owned a tv since the mid 80s.

17. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I like tv. I love reality shows and don't care if they are tacky or dumb! I see tv as something we all can relate too (if you watch it obviously) you can get chatting to someone and be able to talk about your views on different shows and characters. It's like there is this common ground. There is no rich tv or poor tv. It's all the same and can be realli enjoyable! For my children though I will realli limit his time watching it. It's better to create <3

18. caliente

caliente Senior Member

I packed up my TV last summer and put it away in the garage. I find that I don't miss it in the least ... I get news from the internet, and movies from Blockbuster. If there's a video of some incident that I'd like to see, it's on YouTube (or somewhere on the net) within hours.

As a last resort, I can always go to a friend's house to watch something.

I am now vaguely aware that my TV will somehow become obsolete in February because of the digital thing. When I first heard about this, I tried to be interested ... but I found that I could care less. So I will be the only person in my 'hood without one of them.

19. medicalbud

medicalbud Member

From 99-2005 none in a way I sorta stop using a TV and radio due to these reasons
    1)I hated ads
    2) Repeats
    3) sitcoms were getting less and less with reality TV.

Pc gave me the chance to run my TV my way I wanted total control not them

So what I did was use MIRC site for TV shows & music
    Movies Netflix when it came out .

I now have a 40in 1080P direct tv I mostly watch news sports and all the educational channel 284 down to 260 on direct tv

20. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

I have not owned a tv for a year. I gave mine away when I moved and for the most part have not missed it. Some times I watch it when I visit others, but sitting there watching all the commercials makes me feel like I am wasting my time. Plus it seems like there is a lot of propaganda that you probably don't notice unless you have been away from tv for awhile. Atleast that has been my experience.