I think I want to go to Morocco - It's a longshot but anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Carlfloydfan, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Like I said, I would love to have a travel buddy, either as experienced as me or more than me. I think I will go regardless but it would be fun to find someone to travel with for a while!!

It would be in mid to late January for a week or two. I am flying into Alicante, than Seville than south to the tip of Spain. Nothing is really planned as far as Spain...

Anyone interested though? I have been looking for travel companion websites. So far the best I have found is Couchsurfing but I am sure there are others!

Any tips on traveling in Morocco? I really want to go!! I even had a dream about going (and getting lost too)!

2. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

the only experience I have with Morocco is that they are supposed to have some really bitchin hash.....

1 person likes this.
  3. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

If I had any money Id be right there with you (assuming youd want me of course:p)

Have fun!

4. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

get the fuck out before inauguration day.. in fact moracco sounds like a great place to be the last two or 3 weeks of january.. so yeah,,plan a longer trip as well..

5. Carlfloydfan

Ryanair.....yes yes ;)

and yah, I plan on going to spain in early January, than to Morocco at some point, depending on how cool Spain is. Eventually I need to end up in China assuming I get the teaching job, sometime in early March.

6. hippiehillbilly

you know along those lines,not to be a alarmist but with all this talk of terrorism etc.,wouldnt it be a good idea to make plans in case something was to take place while you were over there??

extra finances,contingency plans if the planes were not flying again..etc. etc..

7. hippiehillbilly

oh i forgot you took that job in china.. you lucky fucker. youll be as safe as the crown jewels..once you get there of course..

8. Carlfloydfan

Well I still need to get the visa. Currently the lady I am talking to is getting the invitation letter, which I guess is real soon, than she needs to post it.

But yah, I have a gap of 7 weeks or so, between when I leave my gf in France to her studies and China (if all goes well with the visa) to see a few things. So Spain is for sure. I will think about Morocco some more, I mean, that is a pretty intense place to go I am sure.

9. redyelruc

redyelruc The Yard Man

If you go to Morocco, there's a really cool coastal town in Southern Morocco called Essouira(sp?). There is some great wind-surfing there, and in the winter, when you'll be going, there is nobody on the beach. It's perfect, but there are a lot of French tourists. You may like that though.

Another place to check out is Ourzazate, on the edge of the Sahara. It's a beautiful town even though everybody wants to sell you a camel trip.

10. nesta

nesta Banned

probably not a destination for a first trip, even for an experienced traveler such as yourself.

i dont know if you enjoy cannabis or not, but hashish is plentiful there.

i have a proposal for you. i have neither the funds nor, at this point, the inclination to travel to morocco. i would like to someday if it is possible, but i cannot say i expect it. there are tons of places i would like to visit, and morocco is among them, but it isn't near the top of my list.

my proposal is (likely) dependant on you being a cannabis smoker. i do not know if you are or are not, but here it is.

hashish is a major source of income for moroccans from a certain mountainous region of morocco. hashish is technically illegal, but prevelant around the whole country, regardless of location, according to what little i know of morocco. considering it's reputation for hashish, and the fact that many foreigners are tourists interested in either smoking or smuggling it, foreigners are, as i understand it, VERY VERY VERY frequently offered hashish for sale. a certain region in morocco is essentially ignored in terms of the ban on cannabis ("kif") and the production of hashish

now this product circulates all through morocco and much of it is exported to europe, and occasionally other areas.

i don't know whether you are interested in smoking hashish or not, but it is common there. i smoke and love cannabis and, when available, hashish.

in morocco, the traditional pipe for smoking hashish is called a sebsi. it is fallacy to believe that the traditional pipe in the middle east and north africa for smoking hashish or kif is a hookah. this is used to smoke tobacco specially designed for hookahs. for kif, they smoke a sebsi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7-ckdm-_A0 this is a short clip from the documentary entitled hashish. i highly recommend this documentary if you haven't seen it. it's easily available on amazon.com. the older gentleman speaking for roughly the first half of the clip is smoking a sebsi
    here are pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now like i said i do not know if you smoke or not, but hashish, as i understand it, is very common in morocco. the traditional pipe for it is the sebsis, which is, as i understand it, very affordable and meant to be somewhat disposable.

these are very hard to find in the west, and i have so far only found a single website offering them. this website is based in the UK, and while the pipes they offer are inexpensive, the shipping changes it from under £10 to over £50...which i simply cannot afford.

i'm intensely interested in acquiring one or two sebsis for myself. if you do go to morocco, it should be fairly easy, and cheap, to get your hands on one....

if you can do so, you could easily take one or two back in your luggage legally, assuming they are 100% unused and have no resin in them whatever. this should be cheap and easy.

if you can get one or two of these pipes and take them back to the US at some point, i would pay you triple their original cost plus the cost of shipping them from maine to ohio or indiana, which would far more than alleviate the cost to you, as no shipping charges would be incurred. bringing them back

this isn't really a viable means for you to make much money, but i would be very interested, and if you are agreeable to it, i'd be more than happy to cover slightly more than this cost.....

just something to think about:cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  11. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

wow, crazy. just yesterday i was reading about it and looking at pictures and wishing i could go. i even changed my facebook status to say i wanted to go to morocco. then i realized i was quoting almost famous and took it down ans changed my mind about morocco.

12. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

hahaha

13. Carlfloydfan

You want to go to Morocco and you know it

and so does Nesta.

14. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

They don't like my type in Morocco.

15. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

my parents are thinking of moving there.

16. Dave_techie

Dave_techie I call Sheniangans

when I Was in high school I wanted to join peace corps.

I wanted to go to morroco

and I found out they had but one helipad.

17. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

*gasp* oh noes!

18. Carlfloydfan

They keep going further and further south...Brittany, S. France, Spain, Morocco...What next after Morocco? Mali?

How would one go about moving to Morocco anyways? And where/why?

19. Carlfloydfan

Why?

20. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

They speak French there, and it's suny, beautiful, and they build these gorgeous neighborhoods for wealthy French people :p