new project

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by kinulpture, Nov 7, 2008.

1. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

Never been a sailor. I loved building sailing vessels and I'll take em out to water test them but sailing never really thrilled me. You see, I'm deathly afraid of the water. I used to surf, (old school-6-9 single skeg board) can swim well and love living near the ocean.
    Could be my near drowning when my Hobiecat sunk about 2 mi. out and I had no life jacket. Or maybe that encounter with tiger sharks while kayaking off Maui. Or....

....well, anyway...I'll build em, somebody else can sail them.

Zen:D

kinulpture likes this.
  2. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

www.jesterinfo.org The fascinating fleet that includes other such relative minnows as a 22ft Westerly, an Albin Vega, an Elizabethan 30, a Twister and an Achilles 24. Most of these designs are 30 years old or more. Thus the Jester Challenge represents an epic solo ocean challenge with no insuperable financial barrier and is, for many amateur sailors, the ultimate test of thier wits and skill against the elements.

3. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

Scales, huh? Sounds a little fishy to me. Anybelly remember the banner A-Camp flew at the Montana annual?

WELCOME FISHERMEN!!!! we smell you....

...the mind wanders. (and wonders)

Let's see...a basic rundown.

Built interior furniture for Hatteras and Uniflite.
    Worked for a company called Sunward Yachts in N.C. Did everything from lofting, to moldmaking, to hand laying miles of glass, building interiors and installing engines.
    I've built 2 trimarans. One a 48' ultra high-speed tri, the other a 30' bopping down the coast and ICW (though ocean worthy) tri.
    Some of my work had been featured in a couple of sailing mags but that was long ago in another life.

Zen

4. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

OBS SEZ:
    Hey listen, I don't mean any disrespect by this. None taken.
    Your my skipper and if you say it's like this, then it's like this for me. HUH???
    I'd like info on the 30. What would you like to know? I offer what info sits between the ears but it was a long time ago.

Zen:D

5. inlakesh

inlakesh Member

I love you, and i'm just throwing this out there. I would love to sail to the international rainbow gathering in New Zealand. who thinks this is a feasible idea. let me know your thoughts and possible scenarios to make it happen. blessings family.

Inlakech

6. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

that`s an excellent idea, what we need is a full store or section on watercraft here. this thread is kinda difficult to find.

7. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

yes, i was thinking same thing. ocala`s just a bit too far south for me @ this time. & the further south one goes, the further back north one must go when it`s gettin hot in that region. you see one of my original plans was go from shawnee gathering to acola (apalachiola), then somehow back either to taladega or other points N if they`re easier. there`s a pretty good site called: www.watertribe.com . I`ve been on there a few yrs. i`ve learned quite a bit. i was even thinking too of riding the AutoTrain N to Lorton Va, then up to the Ohio R. thus being on the great loop. www.greatloop.com i`ve even to convince Amtrak to let us put boats on a cart on AutoTrain. but no dice there. i`m just trying to quit the need for a land vehicle as much as possible. there`s actually a courier service in lorton Va. i`ve been tryin to convince them to have an office in Sanford fl too. there`s a kinda cool electric van startup co near sanford fl. these don`t go over 30 mph. if there were a slow path between their co & sanford we`d be in business. & they`d probably go for it cuz it would promote their vans. i saw this van on ebay. i`ll see if i can hunt it down on my ebay. just an idea. this copuld be done every year. & another thing which was kinda weird a few yrs ago. amtrak has a section called weekly specials. & for awhile they a deal to ride on Autotrain. i tried my best to promote most of this back then, no takers. maybe they`ll have the special again.

8. Olympic-Bullshitter

We often joke that cruising was like living in a college dorm: frequent challenges, plenty to talk about, and always a reason to party.

9. KevinH

KevinH Just Floating Here

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/startups/magazine/17-02/mf_seasteading

The purpose of the Seasteading Institute—and of this gathering—is to figure out how to make aquatic homesteads a reality. But Friedman doesn't just want to create huge floating platforms that people can live on. He's also hoping to create a platform in the sense that Linux is a platform: a base upon which people can build their own innovative forms of governance.

10. KevinH

KevinH Just Floating Here

11. Olympic-Bullshitter

For a anchored boat with modest and simple electrical needs it's about 100Ah per day. For liveaboard cruisers golf-cart batteries are the best value for the money.

1 person likes this.
  12. Olympic-Bullshitter

For the would-be adventurer, the most important thing is to get your boat to sail, on a minimum budget, and stay solvent without returning home all the time, to a boring job, to refill the cruising kitty. Spend some time trading at rainbow, it's fun. You eat their food, you drink their water, you sleep with their women, you take away their money.

13. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i heard much about this in the 80's the idea was a fleet of sailing ships (theoreticaly they were talking abouytr frigates barquentines ships of that size) that would be used to convey family to international gatherings worldwide
    they planned on living abourd the boats year round (well i dunno if planned is the right word, mused about is better i guess)
    as a way of close to the earth travel
    internationaly wouldf be the only practicle application there are no intercoastal rivers navigastable coast to coast one could go theoreticly a few states away (2-3) but to cross the country would require goiung the long way around

i raced sailboats all my life till i was 26 (starting around 5) even a racing sailboat is painfully slowa 300 mile trip could take weeks or longer

at gatherings alot of wild ideasd flow aeround
    ive seen people post sings "i want to hitch a ride on a pirate ship to austraila gathering" and such
    the blimp idea is about as likely as the 1 guy i talkked to who wanted to make a flying saucer, complete with beam up technology so he could fly across thye country beamming up riders without having to even slow down

maybe a good idea when tripping, but practicle? hardly

on the other hand my dream is to fly in in a motorglider land in a meadow setup a bungy launch (so wont bother ppl with thye motor) and give glider rides over the site
    wont happen tho cause cant afford a motorglider
    but we all have ourr dreams..cant blame ya for that

14. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

15. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

bump squared

16. indydude

indydude Senior Member

River traveling to gatherings is definitely possible and preferable.imo My buddy Jerry traveled the Wabash to the Ohio to the Mississippi in a Marlboro air Kayak. Someone made a movie of him called 'Nobody'. Check it out it's worth it!
    I just got a new 15ft Pelican Kayak for 250. at Big R. I havent launched it yet. I've canoed hundreds of miles but never kayaked. Cant wait to launch!!!

17. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

a gathering along a big wild lake be so fine . canoes and sailboats could get folks and supplies to and fro an island kitchen or a remote shoreline .

18. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Thats the sailboats I'm talking about! lol I wish I could attach a sail to my kayak.
    Anyone know if this years national gathering, in the Allegheny PA I think, has river possiblilities for floating to the gathering?

19. Olympic-Bullshitter

20. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

bump ad nauseum