new project

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by kinulpture, Nov 7, 2008.

1. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

|"|()()|\||3()`.`.` &/OR
    }.^.|"|I|..`/ }|..{:{:"|"

Ahoy Family, This is the UNofficial "Launch"
    (@least on "paper") of a relatively new "branch" of
    The Rainbow Family of living Light "Tree"

This has come about due to several things & has taken several
    yrs

Firstly, there possibly or definitely was a Sunbow Family & Fleet
    This to my limited knowledge was Rainbow Family-type Group which
    operated on the Ocean sometime in the 1980`s

Now, i`m hoping this group or someone who knew particulars of it
    still exists, this way MoonBow could easily integrate with them
    (more on this later)

Suffice it to say some forms of travel which some "roadogs" may
    be weary of: freight-hopping, hitchiking, to name a few can be
    dangerous; now of course some folks may not have problems
    w/ these forms of travel & of course this would be slower therefore those who wish can keep on enjoying those forms

Another disadvantage to above forms is cargo carrying capacity
    in hitching; rides are easier to get w/ less cargo; & i`m certain the same applies to freight-hopping

Thus, sadly, precious items are occasionally left behind in
    pursuit of greener pastures

Then, of course, there are Bicycles & Trailers which i`m hoping
    will integrate somewhat w/ MoonBow operations;

The gist being that MoonBow would be primarily smaller watercraft
    operating primarily on or in Lakes, Rivers, Bays, Ad Naseum
    These would be conveying folks & cargo from gathering-to-gathering

Now, seeing that some individuals have @ their disposal, large
    Land vehicles; smaller watercraft could be manipulated w/ their
    kynd assistance to next available, suitable watering hole when
    current passage deteriorates

Same as a theoretical Sunbow Revival or "hookup"
    smaller watercraft could be shuttles as Sunbow craft could be
    "motherships"

1 person likes this.
  2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

for an interesting small boat , try the Folboat . it's a canvas/wood-frame canoe that collapses into two bags . it can be rowed or sailed and optionally a bike trailer is available .

kinulpture likes this.
  3. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

i keep hearing snippets of info like this. i saw someone in the 05 rainbow guide who mentioned ocean communities. but, i emailed them & their addy was cancelled.

4. KevinH

KevinH Just Floating Here

I live in Philadelphia on a sailboat.

I have my captains license. Keep me in the loop if anything happens.

KevinH

6Sailor9 likes this.
  5. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

I'm confused

traveling by boat from gathering to gathering? sounds impossible

now that guy I met in '97 had a great idea I thought-- a solar-powered blimp that could fly from gathering to gathering! He even had blueprints and said he was coming into an inheritance. He told me to watch the skies for him, and every once in a while, I still do :eek:

Sailboats are a beautiful thing, though. omg a man with a captain's lisence the places you could go!

kinulpture and 6Sailor9 like this.
  6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I'm immediately imagining the decidedly non navigable water at gatherings.
    I'm also thinking that as simple travel, this could work, for coastal and river traffic.

6Sailor9 likes this.
  7. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

I know of one sailboat that makes it to many Gatherings...but it doesn't travel by water.

TX'88 would have had far fewer folks had it not been for the Rainbow Navy, but that was comprised of a couple of fishing boats

6Sailor9 likes this.
  8. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

hi, kevin, i have a friend who`s ex-husband lives in philly. i`ll drop him a line. hi becca, i mention on this "manifesto" that we`d of course need help from land from time-to- time. this is why i`m mentioning that we`d use mostly portable craft. which brings me 2 drumminmama, & hello too. & yes, i`ve in mind these in sheltered waterways mostly. this is kinda rough draft as it were & will be embellished. i just didn`t wanna make ne1 bored yet. & besides all this, SunBow may yet still exist, which would of course help quite a bit. @ somepoint i`m tryin 2 recruit the kinetic sculpture community for help in this as some of them may be family. this is where i`m kinda gettin my name from. these are races in pedal powered amphibious vehicles. these are a bit more complicated than "pure" watercraft @least in the fact they are "instantaneous". this rather than "slower" help from bicycles &/or trailers. some folks may even feel the desire to pull a boat on a cart on foot @times. this is done on a regular basis. actually, quite often i carry more on a bicycle & trailer than many do in a car. & i`ve written several embellishments of established threads on www.newmars.com, on pedal-power on other planets. & some have even had portable internet on pedal powered craft, www.microship.com .

9. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

. New Address for Ab & DP: Lisa Ahne, POB 181, Alsea, OR 97324 A friend is setting up a blogspot for Dwelling Portably. But even internetters say: they prefer DP on paper. Paper can be read where internetting isn't practical: at remote camps, riding buses, laying in bed, ect. So, the info they put on, may be mostly to attract new readers.These zines are a pioneering attempt to gather the information needed for independent thinking and living, a goal dear to my heart. Though not mathematically geodesic according to Bucky's Synergetic Geometry, this boat is close enough. www.earthball.org

10. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

11. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

i`ve heard of this device called 3d stereo lithography. this was invented approx 25 yrs ago. it was supposed to be a big hit. the price was supposed to go down @ some point, kinda like personal computer computers, digital watches, or calculators,etc.. but, i think it`s way ahead of it`s time or something. anyhow it takes molten plastic & shapes it into any form you like. no need for molds. i heard of a trimaran made this way. & i believe it was made from recycled soda bottles. if anyone is interested, there is a website called www.woodenboatrescue.org .free boats, unfortunately they are mostly all larger craft. the smaller ones get taken quick. & often they need extensive repair. i had a chance once to get 30 padleboats for $300. unfortunately they were way out in the desert, too may have been in disrepair. not to mention hauling them to water would`ve been costly.

12. Olympic-Bullshitter

A boat is no longer worth fixing up when the cost to do so exceeds its resale value. www.ybw.com/forums

13. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

that`s quite correct. boats vcan often be more of a "money pit" than houses or vehicles. when they fall apart, they don`t sink.

14. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

& for the most part, in my situation namely a smaller craft is a smaller "money pit". i don`t have much experience @ this time w/ larger ones. i`ll leave that mostly to a "revived" SunBow expert.

15. Olympic-Bullshitter

16. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

Sailboats are great for deep water but if you're gonna navigate rivers the keel is a problem. Even a 28 footer has a substantial keel. (I'm too lazy to figure out the length-beam-mast-keel ratios at the moment.)
    Having been a boatbuilder IMHO one of the best sea and river worthy craft would be a small plywood trimaran. Little draft, great stability, enough room for crew and lots of storage. It's also superior to a simple catamaran as a center structure allows for a small motor. The doldrums can be a real bitch!

If anybelly is interested I'd be more than happy to lend my experience.

KevinH...something tells me I may know you. Ever work in boatyards on the East Coast?

Zen:D

17. KevinH

KevinH Just Floating Here

No-haven't done any work in boatyards-I live in Philadelphia-I've had my boat out of the water in Delaware City.

18. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

i like these replies folks, this is the most interaction i`ve had about it. yes trimarans can be good. some of them have completly removable pontoons, where the "fuselage" could navigate narrows. &/or some can fold the pontoons, where they`re "towed" behind. the hobie mirage is great, except is a sitop, which is exposed to weather. mirage can be pedaled, paddled, or sailed when it becomes "adventure island" trimaran. but they`re expensive too. plywood or similar cheap, decked craft like this would work.

19. Olympic-Bullshitter

20. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

Chasing holes, Zen? Nah....I'm happily married!!!!