IB - Internet Babies

Discussion in 'Meme' started by skip, Nov 5, 2008.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Here's our first meme...

Internet Babies, or IB for short.

It's a description of those who first got on the Internet while young children.

This cohort has a completely different view of computers, technology and the Internet than those who came before. They have never known life without it.

Thus they form a subculture that is highly plugged-in, tech savvy and possibly more activist.

An example may be seen in the non-group Anonymous who is currently visiting this forum. Many of the younger members - teenagers are IB.

Like that meme? Want more?

2. Fuckeye

Fuckeye Banned

I'm not entirely sure you fully grasp the concept, Skip.

3. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse Member

I hate it. Sorry Skip, it's all just too post-modern for me.

4. Agent R

Agent R Banned

Isn't a meme supposed to be funny?
    that's more informative then funny... I could be wrong though.

5. skip

Memes are mental viruses that have the ability to rewire your mind and change your behavior. If it can't do that, then to me it's not a meme.

6. stratface

stratface Member

Well, I don't feel my brain has been particularly re-wired by my reading of the term "Internet babies." I'm fairly certain the definition of meme is just a piece of culture.

7. OldTroll

OldTroll Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My 20 & 21 y.o. sons are IBs for sure.

Om Muni Muni Mahāmuni Śākyamuni Svāhā

[​IMG]
    Sheryl
    Soft and tender, tough and hard ....
    Never touched a razor ....
    I shall love her always!

8. stratface

stratface Member

Does being part of Generation Y or Generation Z make you an IB by default, or are IB's only the ones who hurl themselves headfirst into Web 2.0 to the point of making reality secondary?

Can members of Generation X and before become "Adopted Internet Babies," so to speak, by immersing themselves in internet culture?

9. skip

Anyone who's been online regular since they were young would qualify. But my def can imply a certain immaturity to their current online activities (baby double entrendre) as well as their common use of Internet jargon to communicate.

Anyone who acts like an IB, but isn't could be called a

FIB, or Fake Internet Baby.

Here's some more you might like to play with.

BIB - A Boring Internet Baby, who only spouts and dribbles what others have said. Can't speak for themselves.
    LIB - A Liberated Internet Baby, who leaves the playpen and IB playmates and discovers how to communicate with the adult world.

10. skip

Touch an IB nerve there?

11. Sunny-Psyd-Up

Sunny-Psyd-Up Member

Lol. people get so worked up. I think it's a good steryotype, so to speak. Just like I'd call about 80% of the posters on here cyber hippies. We got the same morals and still love the same thing, but the internet and cell phones and all that jazz are part of our everyday life. I got my first cell phone when I was 13. I fucking hate them, but they're usefull. As for the internet, I love it! It's part of my everyday life. I suppose I qualify as a IB. It makes alott of sense, just as in saying baby boomers, or hippys, or emo's. Whatever. I'd say it's a good meme.

12. Sunny-Psyd-Up

Sunny-Psyd-Up Member

:D

13. jonathanclay

jonathanclay Banned

funny. but not a meme. this will porobably be argued, but the poll currently reflects this.

14. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

This isn't a meme; it's just something someone came up with. Memes are ideas which have been subjected to a kind evolutionary process and have proven to be 'viable,' so to speak. Memetics is more or less a pseudoscience as for as I'm concerned.