They can hit your kid!

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by Fluffernutter, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Fluffernutter

Fluffernutter Member

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

All I know is if my children were paddled while attending school, there would be hell to pay. If my child did something that warrants disciplinary action, then I need to be called into the school immediately. Nobody touches my children.

3. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I got paddled several times in elementary school, its not the end of the world. It doesn't seem to be a popular topic of discussion, I'm finding a lot more people got the paddle than would like to openly admit it. Most people just don't want to admit they were trouble makers when they were little.

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Exactly. Any person who paddles my kid should expect the same in return from me. James Dobson is a lunatic for even suggesting that corporal punishment can be an effective method of school discipline.

In middle school I was leaned over the vice principals desk and beat repeatedly on the ass with a 2x2 peice of wood more than once and I really wasn't that big of a trouble maker, just a smart ass. I really didn't appreciate it.

5. Hippified_RCer

Hippified_RCer P.L.U.R.

i lived in north carolina wen i was in kindergarten and my classroom was right across from the principals office and i remember watching kids get paddled and saying to my mom i would never b one of those kids lol then we moved up north and i became a trouble maker cuz detention isn't really nething. it may not b right but it def works better than detention. they just need to find a nonviolent way to administer punishment.

6. knitphomaniac

knitphomaniac Banned

I really don't understand what the big deal of getting disciplined is. Kids get away with way too much nowadays, and IMO, a few need to be put back in their place.

Spankings and whatnot isn't child abuse. We really have to start descerning between one and the other.

I had gotten disciplined a few times as a kid, and as much as I didn't like it at the time, I likely deserved it. I survived, it didn't kill me. And whatever I got disciplined over, I didn't do it twice, so it worked.

IMO people need to be a little less soft about this issue.

7. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

Schools had order when I was a kid.

Didn't need security guards or metal detectors either.

We even made the paddles in shop class to beat our own butts with. How hardcore is that? :)

x

8. IdentityCrisis

IdentityCrisis Member

Hmm funny that it's all the Southern states that still frequently administer punishment. Now you know why all the Southern people of the world always think violence and harsh punishment is an effective way to solve criminal behaviour. It doesn't work, it just shows that violence is an acceptable form of getting power and what you want in life.

9. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

i saw that shit when i was in school too. it's funny, if you do that to another adult, it is assult and battery and, you get jailed and, the living hell sued out of you too. do that to a kid and it is "displine." adults are bigger and stronger and, they make all the rules (might makes right!) that is the adult behaviour toward kids.

i learn early that adults are just big fucked up kids who are bullies. school, scared the living shit out of me, so badly that i never had kids. better that kids are never born then, turn over to the low life shit-ass "adults" in the schools!

10. hippy@heart75

hippy@heart75 Member

I agree with you. Some kids get no discipline at home. As a mother of six, kids need to know that if you do something wrong that there are consequences to your actions. I love my children and if I don't teach them, are systems will teach them. I would much rather give a swat on the butt now than go visit them in prison one day.
    Blessings

11. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Well stated, hippie@heart. I totally agree.

12. Willow Oak

Willow Oak Member

I sometimes wish my school had a harder way of punishment. Some kids just muck up all the time and dont get punished. Its so annoying when your trying to learn, but some dick head stuffs it all up.

13. Valdis

Valdis Member

This bothers me far less than most things about schools these days.

14. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Valdis, do you think the things that bother you about schools these days would be less of an issue if children faced more disipline in the schools?

15. Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia Member

Thank you, hippie@heart. I have a comparison for you all:

My husband recieved discipline that these days would be considered child abuse (beatings, not spankings), but he and his father knew that it was necessary. After the beating was over, the punishment was as well and my husband and his father loved each other dearly. They still do. My husband grew into a marvelous example of manhood, if I do brag: respect for authority when deserved, responsibility for himself and others, caretaker extraordinaire, and all of those traits that every woman wants in a mate.

My brother-in-law (husband's little brother) was not spanked, because my in-laws were older and more mellow while raising him. As a matter of fact, I don't think he recieved very much discipline at all, because he never caused "trouble." He stayed in his room quietly playing video games. He also never did anything else. Well, that one is twenty-one years old, has never had a job, won't look for a job, is completely hateful to others (INCLUDING the parents he still lives with), and is flunking out of school. Why? He believes that he doesn't have to do what he doesn't want to, and has the unalienable right to do what he does want to. He lives for video games, and energy drinks, and hates my father-in-law with a passion for pushing him towards study and a job. He hates my husband for being the "suck-up." He hates me for sending him back to Illinois when he helped us move, because he was yelling racist slurs and jokes in the street at 3am in a mostly hispanic city. He didn't understand that it was not only wrong (He has no concept of "wrong."), but stupid. The boy cannot imagine the cause-effect rule. We're taking bets on whether he will end up in the military or prison when he flunks out of school and gets kicked out of the family home. My money is on prison after military desertion.

16. angelknight

angelknight Member

I got the board quite often in school and you know what? unlike what a lot of anti spanking people might think, I turned out ok. I think it is overused in some cases {like some of my cases} but the fanaticism of the people who are opposed to it and advocate banning it in all cases everywhere i think are weak minded and arent looking at the reality of schools today no displine of any kind is causing kids today to run amuck.

the crazyness of some people today ie the fanatics never ceases to amaze me.

17. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

This is a pretty big problem in schools nowadays. I can't say one way or another if corporal punishment is a good way to go about things, but I personally don't do it. The problem is that the parents often don't trust your judgment, and will always defend their kids. And there are always bad teachers who ruin it for everyone.

I've found parents are especially defensive if the kid is a huge brat-- no one wants to admit they're a bad parent, especially when they really really are. At the same time, kids can't be given free reign, or they'll end up taking over the class.

When I'm in the classroom, sometimes I can see how some people would think it's necessary... but on the other hand, a massive guilt trip is sometimes much more effective. If you can calmly explain to a child why what they did is wrong, without being too soft, it can work. But some kids are seriously disruptive, cannot be talked to, and need something extra. What that is, I honestly don't know... and this is why my nerves often get flushed down the toilet, and the kids' education right along with them.

Sometimes the kid is just excited and needs to be calmed down... recently, I've been suggesting that they take a couple of deep breaths, and it actually kind of works. I know it might sound hokey, but for minor infractions I think the kid should be made to do meditation exercises or yoga or something... something where they can actually find peace in their minds or something, because a lot of the time, that's what they need more than anything.

18. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

I think it's one thing if a parent spanks their own kid, but I'm not sure I trust to schools to do it. In general, I don't want some teacher touching my kid's ass. Besides, there's far too much room for abusing the practice.

19. Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni Member

I don't see how causing pain is going to make children any more successful in life than having a Mafia gang make sure you're loyal to the fam'.

If people want to succeed then they will succeed. But who gives some imperfect teacher the right, to enforce an entirely imperfect system, through pain?

"Success" isn't the final outcome. We can succeed in becoming a terrorist ringleader too. We gotta deal with why people don't feel like they need to "Succeed".

20. Syn42

Syn42 Member

Having worked in an elementary school, I can tell you that teachers have next to no authority. Kids should be at least smacked on the hand when they are doing something dangerous to other kids. There were this trio of brothers that had NO manners. They obviously had white trash upbringing and their parents were called constantly (sometimes by myself) and it was clear neither parent cared at all when their boys would slap other kids, pull hair. The last straw was the kindgartner pushing a girl down a set of stairs. She ended up in the hospital.

In special cases, teachers SHOULD be allowed to reprimand a child in whatever means necessariy. If we are trusting our kids with these adults, we need to work TOGETHER in discipline. People go far too easy on their kids nowadays. When my kid does something dangerous or really wrong they are getting spanked!