PETA's at it again.

Discussion in 'Animal Advocates Support' started by clegg, Aug 7, 2008.

1. clegg

clegg Member

I'm all for animal rights, but as with anything else in life, a good sense of balance is always a good thing.

PETA makes all animal rights supporters look foolish. They are a cult, and have no respect for people.

here's their latest stunt, which (as usual) is in very bad taste.

Comparing the horribly and gruesome beheading of an innocent person to animal slaughter, is just wrong.

Story

2. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

Yes, they are sometimes out of line....and they are kinda whack.

But sometimes it ends positively.

For example, the KFC situation.

3. Jedite83

Jedite83 Members

Im tp afraid to look at the article.
    PETA pisses me off. Any good that real activests could do is prevented becasue of how fucked up PETA acts. Gives all pro-animal actevests a bad name.

4. clegg

clegg Member

drew, you're right. But, the end doesn't justify the means. Their ads are horrible.

Jedite, I agree. it's too bad that such an extremist group with give people who are trying to do the right thing such a bad name.

5. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

True, they have bad ads most of the time...but just think of how many vegetarians they have created:rolleyes:

6. BlazingDervish

BlazingDervish Banned

The poor family of the victim has to deal with their tragedy as publicity stunt. Think the fellow's funeral is today...

To put the level of Peta's inappropriateness in perspective on this one - the other group exploiting this murder are the lunatics at the Westboro Baptist church who are saying that this is God punishing Canada for gay rights and abortions.

7. clegg

clegg Member

blazingdervish,

thanks for pointing that out, , I just finished reading the article.

check it out

Bunch of wackos. So deep into their twisted perception of what religion is all about... really sad...

8. GreenQueen87

GreenQueen87 Member

You aren't seriously trying to equate PETA- a group that occasionally takes their goals one step too far, but overall, has well-meaning members trying to give a voice to the voiceless-with Westboro Baptist Church- a lunatic family cult who are only whores for their megalomaniacal patriarch, are you?

9. BlazingDervish

BlazingDervish Banned

I don't recall saying that everything peta has done equates to everything WBC has done.

They both used the same event to push their message, hence when it comes to inappropriateness on THIS issue, they are equatable. I don't care who they are or what they've done in the past, it is separate from this issue. If it was the Benevolent Order of Nice Folk who had done nothing but good deeds and never anything crappy who had decided to exploit this murder, then they would be comparable in their inappropriateness to WBC as well.

Get what I'm saying?

Now, I'm gonna give you and your statement the benefit that you get to some degree that this was 'one step too far' but I'm gonna reiterate somethings that you probably know so that you (and other folk) can perhaps understand the intensity with which this event ROCKED alot of the country.

I'm not trying to be an ass. And I don't know if you meant to sound that snarky in your comment but through the eyes of someone who has very strong feelings about this event, I'm reading it that way and I'm trying really hard not to respond nastily. If I failed I'm sorry. If you'd like to talk about peta in a different thread, separate from this issue, I'd gladly join in and you'd probably be surprised at what I have to say from already implied assumptions.

This stunt was massively insensitive to a family that had to deal with their son being murdered in a horrendous way. A really horrendous way. They don't have anything to do with the meat industry. They don't have an agenda or corporate ties. They were just folk who woke up one night to a police call that their son had been brutally murdered, and had now there's a stand off with the murderer and the cops as the guy shows off your sons head and eats from his mutilated body.

Now not only imagine the parents but the people who went through the horrid even on the bus and the cops that were involved in the stand off. Probably the most traumatic of thier entire lives. The stuff that eternal nightmares are made of - and within the same week of this event Peta comes ups with this ad.

Now I can't speak for Canada as a whole and this is perhaps the part that others don't get, but there were alot of folk like me across the country(esp in the parries) that were completely rocked by this. And no, I'm not equating this to 911 but its that sensation of complete shock that washed the US that day is perhaps a sensation similar to this that you can draw an understanding from on how, family and witnesses aside, the a good deal of the country feels and then follow that up with the Peta advert - Now you've got a vast number of people who are upset and pissed with Peta, regardless of what they thought of peta before - and that, in no way helps anyone's cause. It just served to turn a whole nation off in a most heinous way.

*sigh* These words don't do any justice on how I feel or how other feel...but I tried.

And if this is gonna be one of those threads that turn into quote by quote analysis and semantic crap, I'm not gonna play. But I'm hoping that's not where you were going with your origional content - I'm just leary of talking about passionate things on internet forums like this because that is so often what happens.

Peace.

10. jneil

jneil Member

Their "Your Daddy Kills Animals" comic is way out there. Implying that if your father likes to fish he might kill yours pets is demented and sick.

[​IMG]

11. peace_n'_love

peace_n'_love Member

i think that it is the same as killing an innocent person... They didnt choose to be killed just like the person didnt; i think this should be put to an end and a very good way to get this problem out in the open is to put it on TV and nodify people.

12. 420UFO

420UFO Member

PETA are psychotic extremists. They try to brainwash kids into turning against their parents, and they advocate violence and bombing and terrorism.

13. heyhai

heyhai Member

well if PETA's so bad then which organizations are good? I haven't heard of many others at all.

14. 420UFO

420UFO Member

first off, that's a terrible argument. Look online, there are plenty of great organizations that support all kinds of good causes. And even if there were none, PETA is still evil. Its not a matter of lets choose the lesser evil.

15. clegg

clegg Member

exactly.

16. Tisha

Tisha Member

Exactly!! I did not see the ad, because the links do not work, but I am very familiar with PETA and their tactics. I support them completely. Sure, a lot of what they do is controversial. But it GETS PEOPLE'S ATTENTION. That's the idea. Go PETA!!!

17. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

I love animals, and am a huge animal advocate, but I really don't like peta.
    They really give animal rights activists a bad name- they go way too far most of the time, and only make people hate them- not think twice about eating meat.
    Not to mention all their ads that are degrading to women.

ALF, HSUS, ASPCA, etc.- they're all good organizations :)

18. LoneDeranger

LoneDeranger Trying to pay attention.

PETA may have started with good intentions but they have become a disgusting organization with no redeeming features.

19. Invisible Soul

Invisible Soul Burning Angel

As much as I find a lot of what PETA do very questionable, I completely disagree with that statement. In my eyes, killing an innocent animal in a horrible and gruesome way is no different to killing an innocent person. Its just as bad.

20. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

PETA is like the "God Hates Fags" church of animal activism.