No Free condoms in Melbourne FL (MUST READ)

Discussion in 'Activism' started by Jedite83, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Jedite83

Jedite83 Members

Here is melbourne we have the 'Condom Commandos' - they go around and give out condoms at the monthly street party (its quite fun). I wasnt there tonight so i missed out on what happened. here is what my friend beth posted as having happened.

Thought i’d let you know what happened at Friday Fest. We were stopped by some lady (I am assuming she is with the city of Melbourne, she did not identify herself). We were told there had been some complaints so, we could not pass out condoms, we would have to leave. We told her this is a public street and a public event. She told us that she would A) call our sponsors and B) get the cops. We said she could call anyone she wanted. She then told us if we didn’t leave she would get the cops. We decided to leave and get some backing from the ACLU. I have written to the ACLU, Brevard NOW and Planned Parenthood to determine the leagality of this situation and if we can continue the program. In the meantime we will not be passing out condoms until we get this figured out. I encourage you and anyone else to write to these organizations, the city and any news outlet you would like. Once I get an answer back from the ACLU I will try to look into some media, it is rediculous.
    -Beth

2. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I grew up in Brevard and this does not surprise me in the least.

3. hippy i am

hippy i am poppy seed bagels

I personally hate using condoms; but to each his/her own.

4. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

Are there any anti-soliciting laws in effect down there?

I'd write your local newspaper and maybe they will publish your letter. Be tactful though. You might also get some support form the local medical community like the county health dept. They're on the receiving end of sexually transmitted diseases and likely one of your strongest allies in this matter.

Either way, I'd certainly fight it.

x

5. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Brevard County is historically very conservative. By disallowing condom distribution they are protecting their DHHS budget and keeping the people who most need these services under their thumb. The good ol' boy network hard at work...

6. jneil

jneil Member

I can't imagine there being a law against handing out free condoms. Sounds like you ran into a religious busybody with delusions of authority.