Making friends from New Zealand! :)

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Vaelia, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Vaelia

Vaelia Member

Hi! I'm a French girl and I love travelling, my dream is to travel to New Zealand, it's a so wonderful country. I'd like to know more about New Zealand (weather, people, traditions). Tell me more about the life there, the Maori (any Maori here?), places to visit...

I like travels, manga, SF (Star wars, Star gate), drawing, video games... and you? :)

2. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

Well we're not too different to any other western country so living here is similar to anywhere else

the weather is pretty mild. it snows once or twice a year and in summer may get very hot but generally its calm and we dont get extremes.

we have a population of just over 4 million, most of us of european descent, 2nd largest group is maori, followed by asians & pacific islanders

for places to visit, theres a few topics on that already so you may want to look at those.

As for the maori culture/traditions/whatever I know next to nothing about it all, but these can give you a basic overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maori
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Māori_culture
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Māori_mythology

sorry I couldnt be of more help :)

3. Vaelia

Vaelia Member

Thanks for the links and the information! :)

Are there big insects like the ones in Australia? (big cockroaches, big spiders, etc?)

4. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

Thankfully no :) Only small house spiders

the largest insect we have is called a Weta, but theyre harmless and Ive only ever seen one come inside once

5. sonik

sonik Member

It's the sheep you have to watch out for.

[​IMG]

6. Vaelia

Vaelia Member

I lived one year in Okinawa (the island at the south of Japan mailand), and it was full of big insects, flying cockroaches, big spiders, etc etc... that's why I asked ;) I'm happy New Zealand is not like this. A friend from New Caledonia said it was a very beautiful country to visit. She's lucky to live so close to New Zealand!

(aaawww sheeps are cute. We have a lot in France, too) :D

7. sonik

sonik Member

Bugs everywhere, impossible to escape em. I'm traveling to NZ myself soon so have been reading up quite a bit about it. Does not look like there is anything there in the least that is real terrible. Only thing I keep hearing about are the Sand Flies. Apparently they are bad, but just really annoying. *shrug*

We get lots of mosquitos around here so I'm sure it can't be any worse.

8. Vaelia

Vaelia Member

Too bad it's so expensive to travel from France to New Zealand :( I wish I could live closer.

9. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

You get sand flies on the west coast and around the beaches (and maybe aroudn other areas but ive never been to north island aside from Wellington) and theyre annoying as hell but you can buy repellent and its fine.

and I know what you mean Vaelia, I want to go to northern europe but its too expensive :(

10. Vaelia

Vaelia Member

I can send you (or post here) photos from where I live and you could do the same, it would be nice to discover our countries at least like this :) which country would you like to visit?

11. sonik

sonik Member

I see, do you know if you can camp on the beaches? Either officially or if possible rogue style? What about fires on beaches?

:cheers2:

12. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

I'm not sure. I think theres a ban on fires but that might not be everywhere. And I doubt you could officially camp on them but nothing would stop you setting up a tent, and I dont think they have policeman patrolling the beaches at night to check.

and Vaelia, first I'd like to go to Denmark, Norway, Sweden & Iceland, and then after that your typical trip to Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, etc

13. Shihad

Shihad Member

There's a ban on open fires in certain areas in NZ. You'd want to check up on the rules for wherever you're staying before you light up. I think there might be a country-wide ban in the summer, not too sure.

If anyone here is from Kosovo or the Balkans by any chance, please let me know.

14. sonik

sonik Member

Really? I thought most of NZ got a fair amount of precipitation.

15. Shihad

Shihad Member

It's pretty dry in summer usually. Eliminates the risks I guess.

16. malik75

malik75 Guest

Any Maori women interested in getting to know a Black man from Brooklyn, New York ? ;);)

17. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Pay a visit to the magnificent Cathedral Cove and Hot Water Beach a few bays futher down from Whitianga. There are two hot water springs on the beach so you can dig a big hole in the sand and enjoy a natural hot tub. The unspoilt islands, jaw-dropping landscapes and sheer choice of cruising grounds is enough to make me tell all my friends to bite the bullet and emigrate here! The best time to charter boats here is between January and March.

18. SailAway

SailAway Member

I live in Whangarei, 2hrs north of Auckland, I camp on beaches and have fires quite alot, Although I am always looking for the most secluded spot so there wouldn't be people around to tell me not to anyway. Sometimes I sail my boat to places you couldn't get to otherwise.

19. sonik

sonik Member

Just got back from a year in NZ. Did not want to leave! Managed to get around to most of the country, and saw a hell of a lot of stuff, and met so many cool people.

Now I'd really love to move there! Best place I've ever been.

:cool:

20. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

New Zealand is on my top choice for travel as well. But I haven't been back there since 1984, way overdue for a visit....Such loverly ladies too, and that accent is nice to hear....And of course, it is a natural paradise, and miles of beaches. Everyone should visit, and those folks know how to throw a party!...;-)