Tea dealing!?!?

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by jahmerimaka, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

I have lately seriously been considering blending my own teas and selling over the internet. Are there any specific licenses or legal requirements that i need to know of before distributing teas, or for that manor anything of 'food' over the net. I am just thinking it might be a nice way to get better and learn more about something i am already into. As well also make some extra cash as a side job.

I would also need something to host on, somewhat like Etsy.com is. There must be something similar out there that is not focused on a certain craft (unless it is tea blends). I wouldn't mind a small fee, I just dont want to end up paying a lot for a domain name or host.

Oh well, i guess i will do some research. But i would deeply appreciate ANY info. Whether it be experiences or just general info on where to get started.

By the way I dont know if this is the right thread. So in the case that there is a better section, please move it.

Wow that was a rant

2. Jedite83

Jedite83 Members

for your web hosting you can get it pretty cheap through Godaddy.com. They also are great for getting you domain through. Avoid the cheep or 'discount' domain company's tho. They usuly have poor customer service and/or hit you up for tons of additional fees.

I have used godaddy for almost 3 years and will be getting my domains from them in the future.
    My cousan also has his website hosted through (I host my own sites) them and the web hosting service he sys is great.

I wish you luck with your teas.

3. zihger

zihger Senior Member

I’m not sure about the legalities with food/tea in sales. I know people who are in the food bizs and they have to jump through a lot of expensive loops.

Hosting you get what you pay for..

I use godaddy because they are cheap and have been around a bit but they aren’t the best for sure. But 5.00 a month compared to 40.00 month.

Good luck, study your competitors and see what they are doing you might have a look at ebay also.

4. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

Thanks a lot. I will check out godaddy for a domain. It's quite hard finding information especially on the legal end of things about this. Hopefully it's nothing too big, if it's anything. I can easily get a hold of the tea leaves and the essential oils necessary for blending, as i already blend teas in much smaller proportions. I just need to get started with the rest.

5. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

bump

can anybody help me with anymore information on how to start this up?

6. zihger

zihger Senior Member

I am kind of thinking tea might fall under a food category because it is going to be sold for human consumption, but I’m not sure.

When you sell pre package stuff it is all good because the person who packages it has to get the licenses and inspections but if you are package the tea yourself you might have to do all that.

I think you will have to call the FDA and ask them where tea falls under and see if you need a local or federal license or certification to sell it.

FDA Assistance: 1-888-723-3366 (1-888-SAFEFOOD)

7. BlazingDervish

BlazingDervish Banned

I did some research a few years back on wanting to open my own tea shop. I never came across anything regarding shipping online that mentioned tea as a food or that anything special needed to be done. I think because it's a leaf, it's more herbal than food. Though prehaps 'prepackaging' changes things. I was looking to sell loosely.

Now if you open a physical tea shop and serve people tea, then it's a food and you need health regulations in place. But since you're not boiling a cuppa over the internet, you should be ok.

The FDA number is a good one to call. But also, who ever you buy your wholesale from, would be able to tell you as well.

8. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

Yeah i figured it would fall under the category of food because it is for human consumption. I am planning on selling it as loose tea, but i may also end up packing some tea bags. I would also be experimenting with blending different mixes to sell. And in that case i would be handling a product that is being sold for human consumption, so i believe it may require some sort of license. Other than that, is there any licensing i need to be an online business owner? i hate all this verification licensing shit. I wish i could just open a site up and sell/do what i want without being looked over the shoulder by big brother all the time.

9. zihger

zihger Senior Member

I don’t think you need a license to sell most stuff on the Internet.

I don’t know anyone that has one except people who deal in foodstuff.

10. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

well see, that is what i'm trying to figure out. i dont know if i need a license because im working over the internet, but also dealing with products sold for human consumption.