A short review of "Into The Wild"

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by McLeodGanja, Jun 14, 2008.

1. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I just like reviewing things, I'm not pretentious enough to be a movie critic though.:hat:

Sometimes the movie is better than the book also, I think 2001 was better than the book, but they were co-created in a dual book-movie project by Kubrick and Clarke.

2. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

hhb...you are great.

3. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

i just callem like i see em.. ;)

4. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

The story is as much about his family breakdown as it is a romantic journey of spiritual rebirth. Often what drives people to such desperate and insane reaches blinds them to the consequences of their actions. In all fairness, it is not so hard to accidentally poison yourself if you are going to try living on wild mushrooms, even with some foreknowledge of the different species.

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

He didn't poison himself on wild mushroomns in the book. That's just idiotic Hollywood plot destruction.

6. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

What happened then?

7. hippiehillbilly

dont give me that shit being unknowledgeable and unprepared for the task youve put upon yourself is just that,, a "spiritual rebirth" is no excuse for stupidity!!!!!!!!!!!

no its VERY VERY HARD to poison yourself on mushrooms if youve studied them and are well seasoned in your identification of them before you attempt to identify and consume them on your own..

we live it and love it and we didnt get where we are guessing at what we are doing.. we studied everything weve done,had others teach what we were not confident learning from a book (harvesting wild mushrooms) and here we are..
    matter of fact,,we just ate some puff balls last week.. and yes,,we were POSITIVE they were not death caps beforehand....

8. hippiehillbilly

i didnt read the book but everything i have read on the internet stated that in real life that was the cause of death..

9. silverhippy

silverhippy Comfortably Numb

I didn't see this movie. How about the Grapes of wrath. Anybody like that book or movie ? Poor Okies.

Peace

10. telephone

telephone weird

This movie kind of bored me. and kind of sucked. I like it in theory, though.. maybe I should read the novel.

11. hippiehillbilly

BTW,, to add to my rebuttal to MLG,,the first rule of harvesting wild mushrooms is,,
    if you have ANY DOUBT WHATSOEVER,, dont eat it..

that is why hands on identification with a experienced mycologist over a extended period of time is essential before you go harvesting them on your own..looking at a picture in a book dont cut it..

and once again,,with hands on knowledge it is all but IMPOSSIBLE to eat the wrong mushroom...

12. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Yeah I tried erowid a few years ago and went out looking for liberty caps. Never found anything though. I've seen those amanitas growing wild around where I come from though, and I'd love to try them. At the same time though I am a bit wary about experimenting with stuff like that, I just stick to me beer and my hash pipe. It is usually enough to get me high.

13. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

He most likely starved to death.

14. hippiehillbilly

theres 2 kinds of amanitas.. the death caps ya dont trip on,,ya just get sick and die...(see post below,this is not completely true)
    [​IMG]

and the ones i believe your thinking of amanita muscaria..

[​IMG]

those ya can trip on but the dosage is sketchy at best.. i personally will pass on them...

15. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I'm tripping on that last picture. It looks like a scarecrow's cock.

16. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

In the film it suggests that he did not read his book thoroughly and the starvation was a result of the poisoning, it destroyed his innards slowly or something. Looked fucking nasty.

Maybe it is what he wanted, in the old days monks used to beat themselves to induce some sort of spiritual attainment, suffering is seen as the path to enlightened purity of being. He must have had some demons in him that led him on a path of destruction.

17. hippiehillbilly

its my understanding that after he ate the death cap ,the nausea,vomiting, etc. that take place the first few days before death needless to say kept him from eating till the renal failure and toxic hepatitis kicked in eventually leading to heart failure and death..

the death cap is a very slow and painful way to go and by the time its over with im sure it looks like starvation was the cause..

not to say that im sure the idiot wasnt eating well already judging by the movie....

18. hippiehillbilly

wow i was reading and it seems you can trip on death caps as well.. never heard that before.. no fuckin way i would try though.. lol....i wont even try the muscaria.

19. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

He was smarter than that. He wouldn't eat a death cap. Hell, I knew that I shouldn't eat them when I was out picking mushrooms when I was 4 years old. Alex had books about the subject.

He died because he was in the middle of fucken Denali National Park in Alaska without enough warmth, a good gun, or food to hunt.

I have no idea where people took the death cap theory out of. The book does not mention it. It is indeed a fabrication.

20. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

It is the right climate for amanitas though, and a possibility.