Nostril piercing going bad?

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by CarolineM, Jun 5, 2008.

1. CarolineM

CarolineM Guest

Hello to everyone,

First, I would like to say that this nostril piercing is not my first piercing. I had 7 before.

I had my nostril pierced about 3weeks ago. It's starting to look really bad. I went to see the person who pierced me yesterday and she told me to apply some saline solution on a gauze 10min a day. It's what i've been doing and I know that it's just a day since a started, but it's starting to freak me out.

Here you can find some pictures, please tell me what you think.
    Thank you

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/morneauc/images/detail/#512/073tg9.jpp

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/morneauc/images/detail/#512/072jk3.jpg

http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=071ov4.jpg

2. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

ah! that's super unfortunate! WHen I got my first nostril done a few years back it got SUPER infect just like that...It actually trailed down a little and had a huge puss bubble for a long time and I was unable to get back to the piercer for like a month of this...

My advice would be to maybe think of putting a stud in it for a couple months while it's healing. I'm a fan of the rings and was some massivley bitter about having to do this myself at the time, but it helped heal it right up...harder to clean maybe but I think easier to heal (at least in my opintion...)and now I have the ring back and all is well and a stud in the other side which is yet to give any trouble since being done a few weeks ago

...but thats all your choice whether you feel on doing that...aside from that just make sure you wash yourhands lots before touching it, stay away from rough play of any kind, and clean with the salene stuff you have 2-3 times a day (but you know that stuff I'm sure..)

...that's what worked for me.

Good luck healing it up. Irritated piercings are a drag.

3. sarahrei

sarahrei ~Lover~

Hmm, thats pretty funky looking. Personally I'd say that it was pierced too low, but I'm not a professional, it looks kind of infected, so a gentle sea salt soak with warm water to draw out any infection, I would e careful with gauze, I'm sure it just gets stuck of rips off the scab.

I just used warm water, a little bit of sea salt and a q-tip. I have 2 perfectly healed nostril piercings.

4. CarolineM

CarolineM Guest

Thank you for your quick answer!

I went back yesterday to put a stud in it, but it's too infected. Maybe in a a week. I'm starting to think that it may be rejecting. The red spot just a bit higher from the ring is looking like open flesh. Until yesterday, I was bleeding a couple of time a day.

I'll keep posted.

5. wastingthedawn

I thought only surface piercings could reject?

6. wastingthedawn

p.s. each to their own of course, but I think the best thing to do is to stick it out, things can't always work, but like mine healed after a couple months of unpleasentness, and it was really really bad. I could never bring myself to take it out.

7. scatteredleaves

scatteredleaves Smelly Hobo

i get bumps like that on every piercing i get. the absolute best thing is tea tree oil, it will almost certainly clear it up. just dab it on with a q-tip once or twice a day :)
    if it hurts and is swollen, you can also apply a hot chamomile tea bag and hold it there, it feels wonderful.
    good luck!

8. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Ok,

What people are telling you about the piercing being infected is false. It is inflamed and has hypertrophic scarring(the bump). An infection is caused by a pathogen(germs) that your immune system cannot cope with. Infections are treated with antibiotics, which you don't need. 99% of the time people say a piercing is infected, it is not. Signs of a true infection are radiating red lines from the site, fever, putrid smells. If you don't got these, its almost surely not infected.

Hypertrophic scarring/irritation/rejection are cause by physical trauma or pressure usually caused by playing with the piercing, changing out piercings, snagging them on clothes, and improper jewelery selection. The best thing to do is do sea salt(nnon-iodized) salt soaks several times a day, and LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE. Some people say aspirin paste or tea tree oil works well, which it might. However, try simple salt soaks and not touching it first, because tea tree oil and aspirin can be drying and lead to more irritation.

Sorry to sound like a dick, but there is so much misinformatioin about piercings, its maddening.

It looks like its pierced too low for my tastes, but that is purely personal and doesn't affect the problems you are having with it. If you're unhappy with the placement, then you might want to redo it, but otherwise, try the soaks and not playing with it.

Cheers and best of luck.

9. sunshine_daydream07

sunshine_daydream07 Member

like scatteredleaves said, tea tree oil is the best thing.:cool:

i got my nose pierced in february and it looked good for like the first month, the it got this weird bump above it and we thought it was like a little zit or something. then it was liike around the whole nose thing. and i was cleaning it like everyday with sea salt but it wouldnt go away. i seriously had it for over a month. eventually i went to the piercer, they said tea tree oil. put a little on a q-tip and dab it around it, and it went away. but even with the oil mine still took like a week or a little more to go away, so if you try it dont get upset if it doesnt work in like 3 days.

i really like your piercing too:). i was thinking of getting a hoop but i dont know how it'd look.

10. scatteredleaves

scatteredleaves Smelly Hobo

lol, thanks ahimsa, i didnt really feel like tackling the infection/irritation thing :ack2:
    lol at "kind of infected"
    agree that tea tree could be irritating and you want soothing sea salt soaks with hot water. but if no irritation occurs, really do try the tea tree, its the only thing that works for me.

11. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

I could have copy and pasted that rant from a dozen other posts I've made.

Yeah, go for the tea tree oil if you feel like it. I'm a start simple and go from there, person.

12. samluvsthebeatles

samluvsthebeatles Member

My piercer told me it's not good to use tea tree oil on a new piercing, something about hindering the healing process.. I got a granuloma too, no big deal, it'll go away in a couple weeks, months at the very most. I used sea salt at first but that didn't work so my piercer advised diluted hydrogen peroxide (only on the bump itself, not the actual piercing because it dries it out).

13. MissAxStar

MissAxStar Guest

14. MissAxStar

MissAxStar Guest

15. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

That happened to me a few times when I got my nose pierced. I put some tea tree oil on it a few times a day and cleaned it thoroughly and it eventually went away. But for a new piercing it might not be a good idea. The bubble thing happened to me months after it was healed.