why do dogs like to roll around in shit?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by emsterino, May 30, 2008.

1. emsterino

emsterino Member

My dog does this all the time, and its not just her, alot of dogs do it too. If there is a pile of animal poop, espically cow's, or if there is a dead animal around, she rolls in it. She smells so bad that people are near vomiting. I had to bath her everyday for the past 3 days because she keeps running off and rolling in poop. Why do dogs do this? Its so weird and smelly!

2. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

every dog i ever saw that rolled in cow shit chased cows..
    i think they roll in it to hide there scent...
    if there not your cows i would break your dog of going to the pasture because more than likely she is chasing the cows when she gets the chance and farmers usually frown on that to the point of eliminating said dog...

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

my dog rolls in deer poo, and other small animal excrement. Hes a husky.
    One of my other huskies went out of her way to roll in poo.. even her own.. yucky.. bad dog!

4. emsterino

emsterino Member

yeah, she is an austrailian 'cattle' dog. so its instinct?

5. bunjies

bunjies Member

my dog rolls in cow shite, and i can assure you she has never chased a cow in her life!
    it is instinct though, canines of many species will roll in the shite of another animal to mask their scent whilst stalking prey.
    but if your dog rolls, it by no means indicates that your dog will chase or be unreliable around livestock.
    that is purely a training issue which i assume has been dealt with as she is allowed off lead near stock? ;)

by the way if you wanna get rid of the stink, get the worst of it of with a cold hose, then slather the area with cheap tomato ketchup. work it in a bit (you may want to use gloves!) then wash out. there are enzymes in the tomato that help neutralise the smell!

6. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

hunting and working dogs are the worst at doing that. i've got a border collie and, i live near sheep. there is nothing she loves more then to go and herd the sheep. she taught heself to herd and, she never chases them either; she never has rolled in sheep shit which, is quite strange but, i'm also quite happy about that... i'm not complaining! worst thing she ever did was to try and befriend a wild skunk i, thought i would never get that smell off of her! it only took one encounter with a skunk; now when she sees a skunk she, backs off fast! she loves cats but, she learned that those kitties with the white strip down their back are, never be fucked with! now, if i could only get her to quit eating shit... no way she is going to give me a lick!

7. Dawn Wanderer

Dawn Wanderer Member

Eeeeeeew!!

8. scatteredleaves

scatteredleaves Smelly Hobo

my little guy doesnt roll in poo, at least not that ive noticed, but he sure does love to roll in rotting carcasses. especially dead fish or seals on the beach. yuck! it usually comes out with soap and warm water, i havnt had to use ketchup or tomato juice yet lol. he does sometimes take kitty poo from the litter box and carries it around... lol

9. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

she eats out of the cat's litter box. cat poop is quite high in protein that, is because cats are true carnivores and, cat food is high in protein too. i had to buy a covered litter box with a door that, stop her from "cleaning" the litter box. eating poop is also instinct. you can't break them of it; only try to control it. it is like dogs chasing cars thats, hunting instinct; that is why i keep her on a leash anywhere there are any cars.

back to dogs rolling in shit. another theory is that, they do it to advertise to other dogs where they have been and, what they have found. just because it smells bad and is gross to us does, not mean it smells bad and is gross to them. think of cadavers and shit being like what cologne and perfume are to us humans. that does make quite a bit of sense. dogs see us as being the alpha wolf of their pack and, they come home stinking to let us know about the "great gift" they have found for us. i never have punished a dog for doing this because, they mean well by it and, their showing their love for us by doing it too. just give them a bath but, don't bathe them in anything with a scent too it! just because something smells good to us it is most times bad for them. quite often it will irratate their skin that, is why after you bath them they will then go roll in the grass or, whatever.

if your dog eats and/or rolls in their own shit... it means their under somekind of stress. most often it is due to not getting enough affection but, that is not always the case.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

^ that was cool.....

11. Dawn Wanderer

Dawn Wanderer Member

Re: cat poop - cat litter stuck to the poop is bad for a dog, but the poop is a tasty, healthy snack!!

OM NOM NOM NOM...

12. Eskimo101

Eskimo101 Banned

dogs roll in shit so they smell like the other members of the pack...its like an id card to blockbuster!!