Moving Server to USA?

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by skip, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Well that would be great, esp. if we could find 6 more to do that. Basically it would require us to more than double our average monthly donations, which seems unlikely to happen. And with the current economic situation our donations are way down as people have less money for anything.

I am even considering putting up a banner that reads: "Got Rebate? Please Donate!" for next month when everyone is supposed to get those $600 IRS checks. :)

But you see moving the server is the easiest solution that doesn't require us to beg for donations.

At this moment I'm still a bit leery about making the move. One thing bothering me: I just found out our cheap server would live in Texas! Not my preferred state by any means! But as far as Feds are concerned, it probably doesn't matter. I'm not sure if local laws would be an issue.

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

I don't know... being the thorn not only in Bush's side but also in his back yard could be a satisfying little twist of irony.

3. skip

GOOD NEWS!!!

Our Dutch hosting company has come up with a better deal on a new server (after I pointed out that they were charging double what an American based server would cost).

I've still got a few details to work out with them, such as the length of the contract, but we may be able to keep it where it is with your support!

We'd have to cut back on a couple of extras to save some money, but we wouldn't have to move. :)

I also inquired into the latest dutch law regarding the Internet and whether the US can command the Dutch to release info and also the current age of consent in the Netherlands. Things have changed there so we need to know their current laws.

I REALLY don't want our server in Texas!!! I think that would be the exact opposite of having it Amsterdam!

4. Shale

Shale ~

I can't commit to regular monthly support, but I am sending a check to the address you posted. I'm sure any donation will be appreciated. Like someone said if we could all send ten bucks.

I've only been here for little over a week but can see that this site is worth supporting. It seems unique and I have already met some regular members who I can feel an afinity toward.

And with all the yunguns and old gramps like me the place seems to have balance. Why I wouldn't want to isolate the 14 yr olds into some special group where frank explicit conversation was limited - life is not so divided (or it shouldn't be) and I think the European connection is why that happens here.

Damn, gotta go to work. Bye

5. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

REALLY hoping you'll be able to stay where your at. Ill donate whenever I can. A move to the US would have me scurrying to delete all my photos and journals..........really hoping I don't have to do this.

After your last post im alittle more relieved......but still, keep us posted. I NEED to know. Thanks Skip. My donation will be made shortly.

- 42o -

6. Tparkboy

Tparkboy Member

Come to Canada, nobody spies on you here because everybody's free unlike every where else.

7. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

^except the whole overgrow deal and Marc Emery

8. skip

Yes, Canada may be MORE fucked up than the US at this point. Fuck Canada! :)

Looks like we're going to stay where we are.

However, it looks like the EU just passed IDENTICAL legislation to what the US House did regarding "recruiting terrorists via the Internet".

Please read this article as the whole situation in Europe may soon change...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7355446.stm

This means that ANY site that tries to "RADICALIZE young people" might be shut down... regardless of what country is the target of radicalization.

What a FUCKED UP generalized term that is..."radicalize". So I suppose any website that attempts to turn young people onto RIGHT WING radicalization might also be shutdown?

9. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

God forbid that anyone gets persuaded to think for themselves. From where I stand, it's the government that's responsible for "radicalizing" people by pursuing policies aimed at enriching their cronies at the considerable expense of so many.. Perhaps the policymakers should imprison themselves. Personally I favor lynching.

10. Beckner420

Beckner420 troll

man if i get some extra cash ill donate.

11. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

Hey Skip.. is there any way you could build your own server.. my nephew builds his own server. I talked briefly with him about the problem your having with servers, but I did not know the details of what you need. I am not a geek and don't know much about bandwith or servers, but he is a geek and does know.. but I don't know what to ask. I noticed that you mentioned 400g or something like that.. If I had more detail, perhaps he can build you one.. isn't there a way to hook up with satilite.. no one owns space( air waves) yet ,so could there be a way to run a server through sattilite.
    If that is rediculase please don't lol.. just trying to help ya.

12. skip

I was thinking along the same lines as this. Bush & Cheney & even the Christian "Warriors" (those who advocate killing in the name of Jesus) radicalize youth too. It would be GREAT to see those ppl get labeled terrorists and imprisoned under these new laws! Then there would be NO REASON for young LIBERAL people to become radicalized!

13. coders333

coders333 Member

i couldnt possibly agree more.

14. Tparkboy

Tparkboy Member

That's not Canada's fault. That's America's fault because their fucking ignorant pigs! FREE MARC EMERY! Sign my petition i have up on here. :)

15. skip

Sorry but Canada is no longer a Sovereign nation, or haven't you figured that out yet? American law overides Canadian law whenever the US wants it to.

16. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

way to go. nice generalization that all americans are "fucking ignorant pigs"

you must be a humanitarian.

17. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

one of the reasons that america is getting it's way in canada is because of our current prime minister "shrub" harper ......sorry my english isn't the best ...you know what i mean .."shrub",you know ...a little BUSH

18. skip

UPDATE: Good news, we've negotiated a new contract for a new server at the same location in Amsterdam! So at some point next month we will at last have a server that can handle the traffic load!

Thanks to everyone who donated to help out with the new server! :)

19. warmhands420

warmhands420 curmudgeon

What about the price Skip, how much more or less per month?

20. skip

It's still going to cost more than the equivalent US server (about $120 more a month), but it's no longer DOUBLE the price. That's a significant amount, but worth the difference because the support we've gotten from our hosting company is unbeatable.

If you knew how many times I've had to wake these guys up in the middle of the night to get the server running again, you'd understand. Because they're located in Europe, our server's peak hours occur during the middle of the night for them. And it's always been traffic overload that causes our server to go down.

Dual quad core Xeons, here we come! That's 8 processors! Plus two 250 gig HDs. We only had two 37 gig scsi drives before - the server is totally maxed out on storage now. We will be able to allow ppl to store more on the server now, but I'm not sure we'll be able to handle video. That requires a dedicated video server. Thanks to youtube, we may never need to do that. :)

Yup, we are getting the fastest server around (oh you could get faster chips but you'd pay a big premium for a little more speed).

We had discussed getting two servers (one for database, one for webpages and images), but we can probably put that off for awhile now. It seems the speed of the hardware is increasing in a similar proportion to the speed we need to keep up with our website growth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.