2012 among other things

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Spiritawakening, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Psychotronic Nick

Psychotronic Nick Member

What source is this from? I know the dates for the end of the Mayan calendar vary, but I've never heard 4772.

2. FinnishButterfly

FinnishButterfly JennyJelly

Wikipedia, it's a new discovery

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

presumably efemerus plus pocket calculator.

i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm not exactly planing on being anywhere near this earth come 4000 anything. not because of commets wizzing arround and occlusions, but just the next world i'm born on, and the ones after that, i'm not particularly planing on being this earth.

you know, unless by some really unforseable chance i should happen to be assigned here again.

by then too, i suspect the calender that began in what the currently dominant one calls 1844 to be in more general use, although maybe even another one starting on a date that's still ahead of us, will have supplanted that one as well.

=^^=
    .../\...

4. Psychotronic Nick

Psychotronic Nick Member

The wiki page on the Mayan calendar says that the long count ends in 2012. I don't think any sort of cataclysm will occur on that particular day, I'm just trying to figure out how you're saying it ends in 4000 something. Could you site a specific page?

5. FinnishButterfly

6. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

OH NOES.

7. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

www.wikipedia.com is proven to be inaccurate, due to the ability to alter facts. I could for instance say, six foot ducks will rampage through the cities of the World and gradually wipe out the entire human race.

8. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Have you tried that lately? Trust me, while Wikipedia may be inherently unreliable, it is moderated by humourless bastards. It varies dramatically from one subject to another how long it will take to spot an edit, but the idea that it can't be used as a source at all is a little draconian. Many articles cite sources and are a damn sight better written than a lot of the "academic" resources we've been asked to read on my degree.

I'd just like to put my hand up and say that, no, I don't feel the world changing. I don't feel that anything is happening now that is significantly different from, say, ten years ago. I think people just tend to start noting how the world works at certain key moments, prompted by certain events or whatever, and find it hard to realise that it has been happening for years before they were aware of it.

9. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Pointless worrying about the future. 2012 olympics, now that is a definate concern. But the fact is, from here to eternity, things can change. Wikipedia can be altered by humourous bastards. You know the sort, goofy toothed and they speak in a yokelly way. Trust your sources from the meteorologists. They can accurately predict the temperature rises etc. But then again, approach with caution. Believe Wikipedia, and you may be misled terribly. :)

10. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Oh, trusting it is another matter entirely. Some of the best sourced articles on there are utter bullshit, just utter bullshit that people have written books about.

Citing sources - any sources - is not enough to prove anything. So what if the Mayan calendar counts down to 2012? It's not like theirs is the only prophecy of doom, and even if it were, they could still be wrong.

11. FinnishButterfly

http://people.tribe.net/thebigd/blog/8aea084e-ba25-4ff5-8f09-2103e9138a1d

Is THAT better?

Come on guys think about it. Realistically. The world has been here for thousands of years, and everyone knows that we aren't exactly "done" yet. There's so much more for the human race to discover. There's going to be a drastic spiritual change before anything happens, now 2012, yes that is expected for a spiritual change.

But the truth is if you honestly think about it, it's books. It's movies. It's everything this is why people sold so many books in Y2K, why a few people built bomb shelters, why everyone freaks out and go crazy.

The entire media is in control of the facts, and they are making billions of dollars on innocent naive people like us. If you don't dig deeper, you'll only find shit.

12. FinnishButterfly

13. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

I do wonder if anyone will pay such close attention to our calendars in a thousand years. Whether they'll look at my old, slightly embarrassing JT calendar and think he was some powerful icon or spirit. :lol:

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ducks?Shit.When are the ducks coming?

15. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Duck Cheney sent them. Fear is the only sensible response :(

16. Spiritawakening

Spiritawakening Member

6 foot Ducks arrrrgh!! Why would you mention something like that and scare the living daylights out of us!!!

17. FinnishButterfly

Lol, did any of the adults watch the video?

18. Pennyroyal_Tea

Pennyroyal_Tea Member

Ever heard of Willy On Wheels?
    The wiki mods have no sense of humor, and love to whip out the 200 ton polished chrome banhammer... If you muck up an article with ridiculous crap, they ban you. That being said, I'm going to make sure they can't trace my IP so that I can still have a normal account, and go create a new one, get the permissions to edit the Adolf Hitler article, and have one helluva party...

and the Honda Civic one, and the ones for some other choice articles... MUAHAHA!

19. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

The ducks are coming in 2012. All is lost. And I for one welcome our new aquatic avian overlords...

20. Spiritawakening

Spiritawakening Member

I don't have time to watch the vid right now, and i wasn't serious about the duck thing.
    But lets get one thing straight here, does this video actually mention 6 foot ducks?
    Please say no. I mean, I am open minded, but i don't know how any video is going to get me even slightly convinced of giant ducks.