how much root space does a marijuana plant need?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Techniques' started by joeyramoney, Mar 21, 2008.

1. joeyramoney

joeyramoney Member

could i grow a small one in a pot that's about 6" by 6"?

2. greenthumbs

greenthumbs Member

Only for a little while. If it is growing well it will fill the pot with roots in no time and then you need to transplant to a bigger pot.

3. alti1175

alti1175 Member

iv heard 1 galon per month u expect the plant to live. but some times u gotta do what u gotta do to grow :)

4. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

how big do you want your plant?

that might seem like a stupid question, but a plant'll grow til it's rootbound, then not only will it not get bigger, it'll start dying back.

If you wanted to do a bonzai style shrub, you 'might' be able to get away with that size. You'd be forever trimming tips, unless you sent it straight into 12/12 and stunted it. (not advised)

I personally wouldn't grow in anything smaller than a 12"x12" by 12" deep. (assuming box) or a 12"dia 12" deep round pot.

5. lunbox24

lunbox24 Member

Hey guys, what about auto ak47 in 3.5 litre pots? I have nine plants that are starting to sprout and now that im reading this im thinking about puttin them in bigger pots. They are in a cab and i have a hps light for the flowering stage. Should i put them in bigger pots once i know they are female? Is it okay to transplant them after two or three weeks?

6. Born25YearsTooLate

if your growing medium is fairly rich, or you fert properly, 3.5 liters should be fine. You'll have to water a bit more often, but that's no big.

it depends on if your focus is bud or christmas trees.

btw, Your grow cabinet...is gonna get mondo hot when you go to the 1k. I hope you've got some good fans/venting.

but I've seen examples of grows in things like shot glasses, that link I posted you from the good doctor, all those are in 16 ounces of soil, so 3.5L is gonna be fine. just keep the water up and don't over fert and burn them. It's a lot kinder to the greenery to underestimate and have to add a bit than to burn the plants and leach the soil.

7. bl4ckc4tb0nes

bl4ckc4tb0nes Member

:cheers2:Also remmember that smaller pots build up in toxicity quickly.I've grown in 6" pots before
    but would advise against a long veg.This is probably a better scenario for clones with 1
    or 2 weeks veg-and an indica or hybrid type with a shorter bloom.Smaller pots can however be used to controll height in stretchy strains.Pot up when you know sex to save
    medium.
    hello everyone[first post in hip!]hope you all well and holding plenty!props from the uk:cheers2:

@born25yearstoolate-is your name in regards to missing 65-75?If so i
    really feel ya!
    peace:)

8. Born25YearsTooLate

yeah, I was born in 78 and missed the party..if I'd been born in 53, I'd have been just the right age to really enjoy the start of the party all the way through.

to be honest, I may have to eat those words, as I'm seeing history roll backwards, and thinking we may have things repeating themselves

back to the topic, blackcatbones, you're very right, small pots build up toxins faster than larger pots.

9. bl4ckc4tb0nes

bl4ckc4tb0nes Member

I feel exactly the same-what a great period!here's to a new age of understanding and
    good vibes rather than the gun being some kind of answer.

with seeds it's generally best to let them sexually mature before flower[4 weeks]
    but is also doable before-slight possibility of stress but you gotta cut you're cloth
    accordingly!

with auto's my experiance is to start off whith a decent size pot
    because thy are easily stunted[especialy lowryder2's]to reach
    full yeild potential.:party:

10. mokie48116@yahoo.com

mokie48116@yahoo.com Member

On another forum, they held a competition to see who could grow the nicest plant in a 6 oz. drinking cup. Most of the plants were falling over all of the time, and they needed to be watered faithfully, but there were alot of plants that produced nearly an ounce each. Seen grows that were done in shot glasses to, but they don't produce much.

Peace...j.b.

11. jansjukebox

jansjukebox Member

Rule of thumb is One gallon per foot height of the plant so a 3 gallon pot is good for a 3 foot plant. But, smaller pots are good for mature clones that you are going to keep small and flower right away like in the sea of green method, but they have to be watered more often and tend to build up salts.