Do You Go To School Barefoot?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by barefootdude, Mar 20, 2008.

1. barefootdude

barefootdude Member

I am wondering how many of you surfer/hippies out there go to school barefoot. I've always been a surfer/hippie type who never wears shoes, so I never thought anything about going to school barefoot until one of my teachers asked me if I even own a pair of shoes. [LOL]. I haven't worn shoes to school since day one. My friends all think it's cool or extreme, some people give me nasty comments about having black-bottomed feet, or say "buy some shoes, you hippie". I only know of one other girl at school who doesn't wear shoes to school. She moved here from Hawaii. Just wanted to hear everyone elses comments.

2. mr.greenxxx

mr.greenxxx Not an Average Bear

well if its not cold then its fine. thats actually a really cool thing imo, everyone who rips on you is an idiot.

3. Don Juan

Don Juan Member

I'm kind of intrigued about this whole barefoot thing. I'm never tried it out in a public place like school or anything. Doesn't it hurt your feet to get all the stones in them and wouldn't it hurt a lot more if someone steps on your toes? It must get freezing too. Do you wear socks at anytime?

Another thing I wondered is why people do it..?

4. Xzei

Xzei Member

w/e i just wear flip flops, best of both worlds

5. barefootdude

barefootdude Member

Thanks Dude,
    The only people who ever rip on me are the preppies or the stuck-up barbie doll type girls. They tell me to buy a pair of shoes or tell me it's gross that the bottoms of my feet get black. Everyone else tells me it looks really cool to see bare feet at school. My friends all tell me not to change because it's part of my surfer/hippie image.

6. barefootdude

barefootdude Member

Well to answer your questions, No it doesn't hurt me at all. Don't feel bad, EVERYONE asks me that, especially at school. It gets really cold here from January until the beginning of March, so I buy a pair of cheap flip-flops and they usually get me through the winter until the break, then I just go barefoot all Spring, Summer and Fall. I found that after wearing flip-flops all winter the stones do hurt my feet for a bit, but after about a week or so your feet naturally build up skin and become tough. By summer my feet are usually as tough as leather and I don't feel hot pavements or even when it gets colder in November. It's like nature's answer to shoes.

I don't know why I even bother with flip-flops at all in the winter, because there was a girl I met when I first started college. She was in her final year, she was a foreign student from Canada and she would go barefoot all year long, even in the dead of winter. She said that she did not own a pair of shoes. So, I guess your feet can become so tough that you never need shoes at all. Mine are probably close to that because in the summer, I go hiking with friends sometime. They wear boots and I go completely barefoot without any trouble.

7. philywilly

philywilly Member

Have you been doing that your whole life?

8. barefootdude

barefootdude Member

Pretty much so. I used to go out and play all day barefoot in the neighborhood. When I was in HS, I went through a short period of dating a preppy girl and I started dressing the part, but as soon as we broke up I asked myself what the Hell I was doing? Going out to eat and buying "in" clothes left me with a nice credit card debt. I am going to college now and I live on my own. Paying all your own bills leaves you with very little extra cash. Bare feet are FREE so it just seemed like the way to go. tye dye shirts, board shorts and bare feet.... that's my wardrobe and I'm stickin' to it. [LOL]

9. jash89

jash89 Member

Where do you go to school? I plan to go to New York so I don't know if it would be smart to walk around barefoot there, but it must be pretty chill walking barefoot on a regular basis.

10. barefootdude

barefootdude Member

Yeah, It's pretty cool just going to school all day with bare feet. You gotta put up with having black-bottomed feet all the time, but I seem to get alot of positive comments from other people at school. Teachers just shake their heads but they don't yell at me or anything. I go to LCCC college in Schnecksville PA. You can see the link to it on my MySpace page if you look under my schools.

11. GnomeChild

GnomeChild Member

i would love to go to school barefoot, unfortunetly i would get suspended!

12. barefootdude

barefootdude Member

My HS was the same way, although I know of at least two girls who tried it and got away with it. When I started college, I wondered if I would get into trouble but I showed up barefoot the first day of school and I've only worn shoes once or twice the entire two year's I've been there.

13. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

so you walk through the snow barefooted? Lehigh Valley, PA is rather cold. I'd be worried about staph infection. I always wear shoes/sandals.

14. sexual_pervert

sexual_pervert Member

Why honestly? I really dont see any reason to not wear shoes..
    I would never do it myself cause I wouldnt be able to have dirty feet all the time, not to mention it must hurt as hell as you said in the beggining..

It's just disgusting sorry, Immagine the amount of crap your stepping on around the streets at least wear flip flops...

15. CloudFlower

CloudFlower Member

I don't think I'd want to go to school, or any public building barefoot. People hock lugis on the floor, and who knows what else is in there.

16. barefootdude

barefootdude Member

When I started college on my first day, I didn't even have shoes. I was living on my own and could barely even afford the tuition. I showed up barefoot for my first day of school and I made it through the entire first semester with bare feet.

[​IMG]

17. StonedTigress

StonedTigress Member

Well I hate wearing shoes, but my classes are so spread out over campus that it would hurt my feet.

But I do see a girl at my school who does it a lot, and I admire that! lol. But if I'm somewhere grassy I definently go barefoot.

18. tasha2

tasha2 Member

[​IMG] My school will actually not allow me to go barefoot and I got caught a few times shoeless. One time they even called my folks to let them know and I got so embarassed.
    The way around it was to wear long flared jeans which would hide my feet.

Antony14 likes this.
  19. bash

bash Member

My high school didn't let me go to class barefooted. There was a page in our agenda planners dedicated almost completely to wearing shoes and whatever.

But in college, I'll take my shoes off in class, and walk around in my socks. I'm not entirely comfortable with my feet to walk around shoeless, or even in sandles, for that matter.

20. barefootdude

barefootdude Member

I am only 50 miles north of Philly. As you know we don't really get much snow in the winter anymore. It may snow here about 5 times during JAN and FEB. The rest of the year is fine for no shoes at all. I never heard of people getting infections from walking barefoot. It could be possible if your feet are thin-skinned and used to being shod all the time, but if you have tough feet like me, there really is no need for shoes other than for looks.