have you ever met any famous hipster?

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by unionpacificrailroad, Sep 4, 2004.

1. unionpacificrailroad

unionpacificrailroad Member

PEace,

i wish i could meet Dylan, Paul, Scott Mc Kenzie, and i wish i could have meet. John, Elvis, and Garcia! i know that meeting these folks must have been a trip in itself!

later

the tired flower child

2. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I knew a few famous hipsters, I drank wine and sang in golden gate park with Janis (pearl) 66', I knew Emmitt Grogan who introduced me to Peter Coyote at the Diggers in 66', Steve Miller gave me a set of Punch and Judy Puppets at the Filmore East in 68', Jerry Garcia was in my apt. and pinched my butt when I lived on Stiner St.70'. Big Bro n the holding was at our commune several times to err'' score some coke. I knew Timothy Leary from Laguna Beach in so. cali earily sixties.(maybe another book there). I was in the Haight a long time and saw many "famuse" people come and go. I triped with some and knew others just in passing or to just say hi to or pass the do be to. Our commune did a lot of "road work" for a lot of different bands that played at the Avalon Ball Room and the Filmore East. I remember one Thanksgiving Nitty Gritty Dirt Band was in town and I was asked to make twenty three turkeys with stuffing for the bands party back stage. It was so cool. I had a pass to come in n out without being checked for "booze". I was carring food in and I stashed Black Jack, Platt Valley corn mash and a viraity of intoxicating beverages in the boxes of food right under the "Mans" nose. It was a great concert from where I was sitting back stage..whew.. We also painted the Airplane's sound studio on Fell St. across the pandhandle from Good Earth's HQ (commune). We painted it black and the pillers were painted gold 71'or72. It looked awesome. I spent a lot of time on Hippie Hill in Golden Gate Park from 66'/ 71'. I ran into famuse people a lot. But it was like, hey man' what happening and everyone would lite up n play music. There was food n drink n drugs for everyone even some of the pigs would stop n take a toke now n then. It was wild to say the least, but it was fresh and new and it left a mark.

Peace Love and Hippie Beads <shameless>

3. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Crosby, Stills, and Nash... those are probably the most famous. I've met a few other "famous" people in the music business.

4. earthfog

earthfog Member

i was onstage with David Peel and the Lower east Side a few times, does that count?

5. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Around 1971-73, David Peal was visted by John Lennon and traded an old jacket for a new Martin guitar with him.(barely missed him) He was the star of the Village, and deep down Lennon wanted to be able to do that, he did say in his biography that he wanted to be the best street musician.
    (problem was he could not even get out of his limo)

I lived there in The Village 69-78.In my last trip to NY I ran into David and asked him what he was doing. He said building and working with computers, imagine that!

He was drinking a quart of beer while waiting for the bus, so I knew he was still himself.:)

6. unionpacificrailroad

Peace,

wow groovy stories man! do you have any more? please keep them comming thses are wonderful!

later

the tired flower child

7. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

THE POPE SMOKES DOPE!!!

8. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Yes, flower child, I shall try to remember some of the highlights of those 9 years.

9. unionpacificrailroad

Peace,

what would you say is the funniest thing and most embarissing you did to a conformer?

later

the sleepy flower child

10. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

I met Ciaccia in Tahoe after his show.Smoked some sage together.

11. 60sHippie

60sHippie Member

I have met Hendrix, The Beatles, Marley, Pink Floyd,Cheech Marin & Tommy Chong,Bertrand Russel and Yogi Mahesh Maharish!

12. freakwentflyer

freakwentflyer Member

In '79 I think it was, I was on the set of the movie "1941" and smoked a joint with John Belushi and Dan Akroid.
    Back then I met and did drugs with a lot of "famous" people but to stick to the hip theme-
    ...for a while I was living with a beautiful young lady in LA whose father and uncle invented and marketed the Morely peddle. (the sound effect peddle for guitars used by every hip band in the late 60's and 70's.) Her best friend was the daughter of the drummer for "Little Feat". Her sisters husband was a casual friend of Bobby Weir of the Grateful Dead. So we got back stage passes at nearly every show. I did get to meet Bobby and Jerry.
    That was a great time. Lotta free love goin' on then. "We can share the women we can share the wine".
    Oh, yes. Once in a club called the Seven Seas on the sunset strip, I met, Ringo Star. He said he was there to see what all this "new wave" music was all about.
    In retrospect, at the Dead Shows I guess I had the opportunity to meet and mingle with many more glamorous people, but truthfully, the coolest people weren't the celebrities or the people surrounding them. The best times were amongst the crowds of people without the backstage connections.

13. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I remember now I was introduced to cheech or chong, the guy with beard who acording to John who introduced me, I looked like him"you two look alike". He was with a woman and we shook hands and smiled, but we did'nt say much more.
    I was so used to seeing him stoned, it was unusual seeing him standing up straight.

This was in Santa Monica where I had been hanging out in the 80's.

14. 60sHippie

60sHippie Member

chong is the one you met :H he's a cool guy but he's a little quiet at times but then again he can be a complete loud mouth :p

15. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Later in 94 I met an almost look-alike to cheech, and we hanged out together around Venice, Westwood and even in West Hollywood playing guitars.

16. Goddess Om

Goddess Om Member

Fuck...I'm impressed!!!!

17. unionpacificrailroad

Peace,

ya man lets hear them! i would love to hear about someone meeting Hendrix!

later

the tired flower child

18. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I waved & Smiled at George Carlin once. Face to Face, almost. He crossed in front of my car. (I live in Vegas, after all.) He was impressed I respected him enough to not MOB him for an autograph. We all know HE counts.

19. unionpacificrailroad

Peace Matt,

hmm. neat story! i havent really MET anyone famous. wich is fine. but i would love to see the people who made all this come true. ihave to get ready for work. i have to work from 11 to 2 pm ( luch time ) i went o hmecomming yesterday! the dance was great. i danced with at least 6 girls! hehe. i just go to homecomming to dance. after work i slipped on my dance clothes and went :) have you ever gambled Matt?

later

the tired flwoer child

20. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

by the way,which one's pink?