21 Years in a 1973 Dodge Van

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by TwoDogs, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Back in the days you hitched. But NOW, you wouldn't? I see.

LOL!

:p :D

2. TwoDogs

TwoDogs This space for rent. Lifetime Supporter

I see that I've found a sense of humor.

3. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

Top of the morning to ya two dogs !

4. TwoDogs

Hello kenwilkes. It's a mechanicking morning. New rotors and brake pads for the van. Oh boy!!! Bearing packing, one of my favorite things to do. I'm putting it off right now, being lazy by nature.

5. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

I worked on my van all weekend. Finally built myself a decent bed platform and made wood cutouts for my conversion van windows. This week I'll devise insulation for the cutouts. I'm just getting started with this one.

6. ssfls

ssfls Member

Brother Ken,

Share some pics of your ride when ya get a chance. Are you headed out to the AZ area someday? I really like the weather out here. The humidity is very low compared to the east side of the states. Sure makes for more efficient and economical living when you don't have to worry about powering an A/C unit.

Like Brother 2 Dogs said: " Summer time, windows down - Winter Time, Windows Up!"

Bernie

7. ssfls

ssfls Member

Hey Brother JC,

I just put up an article about "Free Wi-Fi" on my thread. Here is a link to the Arizona section. There is plenty of places in the Prescott and Prescott Valley for free Wi-Fi if you happen to be away from the welding shop. Oh, and there is several in Williams as well if you decide to do the swap meet up there.

Bernie

8. TwoDogs

9. TwoDogs

10. TwoDogs

11. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

12. TwoDogs

Yessir. Same storm. The pic was taken here in Central AZ. It's the wash below where I frequently stay. We had hail too, just not tennisball sized. From the sound inside my van Wednesday before dawn I'd say that what I was getting was close to golfball size. I wasn't going to stick my head outside to see. The tornados that ripped apart Bellemont were 35 miles north of me.

13. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

Thanx, I was just interested because i am a part time storm chaser:)
    here some pics from my home in Switzerlend/Germany
    http://www.wzforum.de/forum2/read.php?8,1591671
    (I know Arizona a bit because I went to Phoenix Country Day School for one year in 1990/91 and spent a lot of time in the desert mostly looking for minerals/gold with my best friend, a desert scout)
    all the best to you from europe

14. Dancing til Dawn

Dancing til Dawn Senior Member

Glad your in one piece- looks ferocious!

Those swiss german pic's look really lush, never been drawn to Europe myself but I can see it's beauty

15. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

great pics twodogs. Used one as my background shot. guess I owe ya !

16. Gsislander

Gsislander Member

Those pics are GREAT as usual. What do you use for a camera? Lens?

By the way, I am now living in my van (at least temporarily) now that its fixed! Its a 1988 Ford E150. It has four captain chairs and a fold out bed in the back. If this winds up being a permanent living situation then those middle chairs HAVE to go!

Thanks to you and the inspiration that you have given by sharing your story I am not all depressed about what has transpired in to get me to this point.

For anyone else living in their van or considering it you should check out Vandwellers on yahoo groups, or facebook. Great resources and info from great folks.

17. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

Good luck with your dwelling Gsi ! Hope it works out for you. Your right, lots of help out there.

18. TwoDogs

Cool pics midgardsun. All the best right back atcha from The Wild Wild West.
    Thanks. You know what they say about only the good dying young...
    Then you better post a pic of your own.
    A Nikon Coolpix L110. It has a fixed lens, it's just a point and shoot.

If it does become a permanent situation I hope that you're able to embrace the lifestyle. Perhaps the circumstances that put you into that situation, in hindsight, will just seem to be a kick in the ass to get you started on a new adventure. If you tire of the lifestyle, I wish you a speedy journey back to something that you find more comfortable. The best of luck to you.

19. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I have an L18. Nikon puts out some good stuff. Like this-

20. TwoDogs

Where was that shot taken? I agree, my L110 can do some pretty amazing stuff compared to the Fugi FinePix 2800 that I used for so many years. However, if I had had the money at the time, I would have bought a Nikon D series camera and would have had more lens options plus the ability to take time exposures. That would have allowed me to get good lightning shots and so forth.