FireflyInTheDark

The Cynical Flower Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted March 16 2008 - 05:14 AM

I am...
SO jealous!
Not of the corpse part, but of the rest of it, heh.
Someday... I will do it someday... I promise you all and myself.
Now, I just have to get a license...:tongue:

"Before, beside us, and above, the firefly lights his lamp of love."
--Bishop Reginald Heber

#12 zihger

zihger

• PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 06:03 AM

Twodogs
How is the National Forest camping in Arizona in the wintertime?

That’s cool you have such a good van those old Dodges can run forever.

I had a 78 Dodge tradesman van once It was awesome went until the rings wore out of the engine more the 200,000 miles it was still running but had no compression.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 Zoomie

Zoomie

My mom is dead, ok?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 07:12 AM

This is a fascinating thread. Two Dogs, I really didn't think anyone gypsied old school like that anymore. I know a few people who have in the short term but mostly in VW Westys. You rock, man.
I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Palin's high school diploma
Bill Maher

#14 cozmo_g

cozmo_g

Is Out Of This World

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 07:44 AM

Kudos to you, sir. I am currently saving money to purchase a chevy van, possibly a minivan soon. I will be getting a cargo version, just as you recommend, and I soon will take to the road, to live a life of freedom. It was good to see your post, as it reminds me of my promise to myself.
Disce quasi semper victurus; vive quasi cras moriturus.

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction." -Jay Bullington Bulworth
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” -Krishnamurti

#15 TwoDogs

TwoDogs

This space for rent.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 11:37 AM

Twodogs
How is the National Forest camping in Arizona in the wintertime?

Wonderful. The majority of AZ. Is public land, either NF or BLM land. There are certainly warmer places to camp during the winter than my area, but I'm on call at a welding shop in Prescott Valley, so I don't range too far most of the time. Except for roadtrips to the east and west coasts on occasion I've spent just about all of the 21+ years in the same area and have only had a run-in with a Tree Pig (NF Law Enforcement) one time. If you don't appear to have a permanent set-up, or have trash lying about, they leave you alone.
The internet allows me to meet every butthead in the world that I won't get to meet in person.

#16 TwoDogs

TwoDogs

This space for rent.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 11:46 AM

I am...
SO jealous!
Not of the corpse part, but of the rest of it, heh.
Someday... I will do it someday... I promise you all and myself.
Now, I just have to get a license...:tongue:

The part that never tires me is the ability to change the scenery outside my front door any time that I choose. There is nothing more awe inspiring than sitting on a hilltop with the van facing south, sitting in the open bay door, and watching the sunset with the tunes cranked.

Posted Image
The internet allows me to meet every butthead in the world that I won't get to meet in person.

#17 TwoDogs

TwoDogs

This space for rent.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 11:58 AM

Kudos to you, sir. I am currently saving money to purchase a chevy van, possibly a minivan soon. I will be getting a cargo version, just as you recommend, and I soon will take to the road, to live a life of freedom. It was good to see your post, as it reminds me of my promise to myself.

One note...a minivan doesn't have the ground clearance and limits your ability to be as free as you'd like sometimes. If you are pretty much going to stay on paved or maintained roads, you'll probably be okay. But...if you want to get away and into the real wilderness...you need a full-sized van. I just saw a minivan with a huge hole in the oil pan the other day. I stopped to see if I could lend some assistance but when I saw the damage I remarked that this was something that duct tape and baling wire wasn't going to cure.

Another thing is the year of the van you buy. The older, the less complicated it will be and the easier it will be to do your own maintenance. I run a very Spartan van. Nothing's computerized, no AC,(People ask me about "climate control" and my answer is, "It's simple...winter - windows up. Summer - windows down.") no power brakes, etc. Mechanically, my van has never left me in the lurch. If something's gone wrong, I've always been able to fix the problem. (Knock on wood.)

That brings us to another point: Spare parts. I carry a spare alternator, distributor, spark plugs, ignition module, starter and other odds and ends.

#18 TwoDogs

TwoDogs

This space for rent.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 12:06 PM

This is a fascinating thread. Two Dogs, I really didn't think anyone gypsied old school like that anymore. I know a few people who have in the short term but mostly in VW Westys. You rock, man.

Thanks Zoomie. My overhead is so low that I don't have to let fulltime work inhibit my ability to enjoy Life. I'm living pretty high on the hog on less than $5000 a year. That covers gas, insurance and registration easily with enough left over to feed myself and my dogs well. We never go without the necessities and actually have quite a few luxuries. This is my laptop I'm using to post. Believe it or not...I'm even able to put money into the bank.

#19 xexon

xexon

Destroyer Of Worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 06:00 PM

You should write a book. Maybe get a new van. :)

I too suffer from gold fever. May be heading up to BC and the Yukon later this year.

x
Zionism is to the Jewish people what Nazis were to the German people.
Something that needs to be stopped before it spreads.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark

The Cynical Flower Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted March 18 2008 - 07:05 PM

Amazing photo. I can't wait. :D

"Before, beside us, and above, the firefly lights his lamp of love."
--Bishop Reginald Heber

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop