Naturism - A State of Grace

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by rustyklichowicz, Sep 3, 2004.

1. rustyklichowicz

rustyklichowicz Member

This is going to sound freaky or stupid or both.

I am a naturist. Not a nudist which is more about exhibitionism and sexiness than naturism. NOw those of you who do go naked a lot indoors and especially outdoors will know that you feel a certain exhilaration, a sense of freedom that has little or nothing to do with sex. When one is condition by society throughout childhood to believe that nakedness is taboo. For God's sake, there are posts here about how wonderful bare feet are. For that to happen the conditioning that has happened must be pretty severe. You don't go on about how lovely it is to have bare hands and to do things bare handed. That is what the hullabaloo about bare feet sounds like to me. (Sorry, I am waffling - back to the subject) When one is conditioned to believe that nakedness is taboo it will feel all sexy when you get naked and that is what worries most people. However, once you do it for a while it begins to feel different. it's a mind thing.

The point is to be naked and unashamed, to be at ease. Out in nature, (real natural nature and gardens are not natural, they are cultivated) you feel a strong sense of belonging of everything being right. I get to feel the thrum of life. You see when you are naked your skin, which is the largest sense organ in your body, finally gets to work at its full potential and with the suport of the other senses you will feel that finally the world has achieved completeness. This is a state of grace. Remember that Adam and Eve fell from grace when they became ashamed of their nudity. That state of grace is what is so dynamic about naturism. (It goes a lot deeper than that but time constrains)

You can approach it from a point of Christianity, Judaism Islam even atheism and it will make perfect sense. If it is truth that would be one of the criteria that it must meet. For Christian, Jew or Muslim it is the Spirit that works this way. That's cos God created it that way. Like any artist, when you experience his work you get closer to the nature of God. Christians believe in one God. Jews beleive in one God. Muslims beleive in one God - what are the chances that they are all talking about the same fucking god then. Each nationality names him and is influenced by their own culture but essentially he is the same thing. If you say that the God of the Christians is the only one how can you then say that Allah is another God without compromising the singularity of the Christian God? They must be the same thing.

From an atheist approach it is obvious that we grew out of nature and are part of it. We cannot destroy nature without destroying ourselves as well. However, Man can become extinct without harming nature in the least - life will continue. But the point I am making is that being a part of nature, we must enjoy it. When you go to a beach or forest or meadow to chill, it is always with regret that we leave it again. When you sit on a beach, how far removed are you from your work personality? Which is more real? The beach or your office? Is the artificial world of urban life really real? It is real in that it exists, that is not the question. Let me try another tack. Two hundred years ago God was real to people. They lived with him daily and He moulded their lives. Can we say that of today's society? No of course not. We have moved away from God as we have come to rely more and more on technology. We have moved away from God to the extent that we place our faith in the church and visit it every Sunday. I beleive in the evolutionary theory, but I still believe that there is a God, just that we have underestimated him and especially his creation. I have faith. Religion is a control mechanism and I won't kowtow to it.

Any questions?

2. LiquidPeppermint

LiquidPeppermint Member

posts like thats is why i come to this board.
    hm, so many opinions, where to start
    well i guess regarding how you've presented naturism, theres really nothing to disagree with. your right. to be in nature, and to possibly be a part of it is definitley a beautiful experience, its just become so hard to exist in this society and be a person that can value this and on another step, to be naked and unashamed and free and natural. society neither values or accepts this, and consequently to exist in this society, it makes it very difficult to value and accept this yourself. its a shame but there is only so much you can do past actually valuing, respecting and accepting it all yourself.

3. isness

isness Member

Wearing clothes is habitual, a desire we are unaware of. Nudity therefore is awkward and unnatural. Conditioning only exists because we wear it like we wear clothes, unaware that we can live without it, unaware of our habitual patterns. Living with nature is being aware of all action, all thought, all moving, all non moving. Unnatural is unaware. No milk for your cookies... DAMNIT! We never thought the milk could be so important to us because we were unaware. Drink the milk and let it go, it was not required before you drank it, you do not need it. Its damn good though. So is nature if you are aware of it.

4. MEltingpOpsicle3

MEltingpOpsicle3 Member

I completly loved that post too and i loved what you said also very true

5. rustyklichowicz

rustyklichowicz Member

I beg to differ. Nudity is not unnatural - You are born naked and that means that it is natural. The desire to wear clothes is conditioned. And done so well that you can't even tell the difference. You need to experience thie sensation of naturism. Not in front of lots of pweople, just simply in your back garden at the dead of the darkest night, (While you still have some summer) streak. Take your clothes off and relax in the darkest part. If this is going to be your first time you might need to do it a few times in order to let the sexual novelty wear off. Because conditioning makes us believe that nudity is impossible without sex occurring, your first reaction is most likely going to be a turn on. Persevere. Beyond that is a liberating exhilaration that is a better high than any drug (and I have done them)

6. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

I did this a few days ago, barenaked on a hill with grass and plants and no one around. I sat in the sunshine and watched the birds and insects. It was very peaceful.

7. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

People of industrialized cultures have become removed from Nature. All of people's possessions have become status symbols and objects of contention. If you would take away people's SUVs, cell phones, computers, clothes, boots, guns, and other material objects and put them all barenaked out in a field of grass, they wouldn't be fighting with each other nearly as much. In fact, most would be making love with each other in the grass and sunshine. :)

8. LiquidPeppermint

LiquidPeppermint Member

Exactly what we need to do. :)

9. Barefoot Jerry

Barefoot Jerry Member

My question is: "Why does the establishment need us to wear clothing?"

10. LiquidPeppermint

LiquidPeppermint Member

i dont know.. i dont really think that wearing clothes is really any establishments accomplishment tho..
    i couldn't tell you why but somehow we pride ourselves and consider it 'civilized' of our ability to repress our instincts and naturalities. too bad

11. isness

isness Member

Because we need the clothing to feel secure. STRRIPP IT ALL OFF

12. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

I've been conditioned to grow a chub if i'm nekkid in front of people. Nudism is cool though once i get past that.

13. rustyklichowicz

rustyklichowicz Member

A good question... So why DO we wear clothes?

Firstly for protection & comfort in climatic extremes. Indigenous folk in warmer areas are invariably more naked than Western peoples. Our Khoi and San and even the Xhosas are historically less concerned with the need to cover up that Europeans.

Secondly people wear clothes for modesty's sake, but what is modesty? I am tempted top say that it is biblical in origin, but there is nowhere in the Bible that it denounces nakedness. It is virtually the opposite. Prophets were often naked when they did their prophesizing. Adam and Eve were banished from Eden when they became ashamed of their nudity. Even Jesus would have been naked when he was baptized by John the Baptist. So the Bible does not condemn nakedness, although it does condemn the inappropriate reaction to nudity (see Ham and Noah). Modesty is a thing that came out of the Puritan and Victorian era and spread. Hell, the Victorians were so anally prim that they covered their piano legs with a little frill in case one should get a boner from getting a glimpse of well-turned leg.

Thirdly people wear clothes to impress. That is fashion. Every culture uses their dress code to seperate the nobility from the peasant. Native Americans, Africans... whatever all have a different ways of dressing for their leaders and affluent than the ordinary guys. This is done to inspire awe and exercise control. It is a control thing. I am sure that subconsciously those people involved in naked protests that are starting to proliferate are sending a message that says "You don't control me!"

Fourthly... To lie. To hide. To keep the truth from being exposed. Naked people find ity hard to lie. This is something that is perhaps difficult to understand but there it is. We keep the whole truth from being revealed by covering it up.

Fifthly... There is no fifthly. Just get naked. STREAK!

Rusty

14. rustyklichowicz

rustyklichowicz Member

You're right. But I still feel that "Nudism" carries baggage that is not the case with "Naturism" The two are interchangable ideally. In Cape Town there is a nudist beach - Sandy Bay - that was an innocent nudist beach but over the years became a gay pick-up spot, or it at least got that reputation whether it is true or not. So maybe that distinction is just personal with me. Sorry if I offended true blue nudists.

Rusty

15. Spidey

Spidey Member

I don't see what difference it makes as to "WHY" a person chooses to be nude, only that they want to. Whether it's for non-sexual, sexual or a mixture of both. I consider myself a mixture of both sexual and non-sexual reasons for loving to be naked.

Just as you say that wearing clothes has conditioned us to believe the nude body IS sexual, why should NOT wearing them condition us to believe the nude body IS NOT sexual? One is as bad as the other.

16. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i took a couple of semesters of art & fashion history in college. the taboo against nakedness actually is related to social class. the more one could afford, the more clothes one could wear. the poorest of the poor, the slave classes, could not afford anything and so went naked. nakedness became associated with slavery and thus, with shame.

the taboo against nudity - or actually, against looking upon nudity, is older than biblical and even jewish taboos. i believe it originated in mesopotamian civilizations, but i could be wrong. it's a very old taboo, and it has to do more with shame of association with poverty, slavery & social outcastes than it does with shame of the body.

the linking of this taboo with body-shame may be christian in origin, but not necessarily biblical. originally there were no taboos against pre-marital sex; the taboo was against having sex with someone other than your spouse if you were in a committed relationship. during the worst years of abusive control by the church, however, the value of sex as a tool for control became apparent, and the taboo gradually shifted to premarital sex, then non-procreative sex, and eventually to sex in general. when the most natural and basic of human urges was looked upon as a great and terrible sin, the people lived in fear and were easier to control. this is why we associate sexiness with taboo. in truth, the taboo against sex is no more natural than the taboo against nudity.

what's wrong with feeling sexy? i can feel just as sexy wearing clothes as i can naked. sexiness too is natural. when one feels sexy, one feels comfortable and confident in their own body, desirable and unashamed of their desires. what's so wrong with that?

17. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

Actually most cultures have opted to wear clothes, though sometimes fairly minimal by our standards. It seems as though once a group develops the technology to make anything at all, they produce clothing of some kind. It might make a person think there's an instinct in humans to cover up. Could it be that we appreciate a little "insulation" between ourselves and the next human? Not that I'm saying it's necessary or even a particularly good idea--but it does seem to be very common.

18. petrnat

petrnat Members

19. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

Here's a thread revived after a period just 2 days shy of 10 years. And who was the last contributor on Sept 21, 2004? Well, I'm still alive and still a member, and I wouldn't change a word.

So quit perning in that gyre. How many times do I have to tell you?