Balding, with locks.

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by ezydriver, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ezydriver

ezydriver Member

If you saw a dread head, with a bald crown, but long locks, what would you think?

It is not something you see often, but I'm curious. After all, both locking and balding are two natural processes.

It is just something that crossed my mind, that in males, hair may not necessarily last forever, and that a bald crown, or/and receeding hairline could very well become a reality for 2 out of 3 men.

So what are your thoughts on balding men, who choose to have locks with the hair that remains on the sides and round the back? Courageous, or sad?

2. arlia

arlia Members

I think it would be a shame to cut of the dreads just becasue of a few bald patches

3. ezydriver

ezydriver Member

I'm talking a completely bald crown.

4. stalk

stalk Banned

yeah balding is a natural process.
    it's all good.
    don't worry, mate.

5. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Since dreadlocks are a way of life and not a hairstyle who cares.

The above comment was written by the guy with young dreads and a thinning crown.

6. dready_kolo

dready_kolo Banned

I'd think its awesome that they've kept their dreads.

7. WoodsCall

WoodsCall Member

???
    [​IMG]

i bet he gets more shameful looks than any one of us.

it's amusing and awesome at the same time.

8. ezydriver

ezydriver Member

Oh, you mean this guy....

[​IMG]

9. Teutatis Hope

Teutatis Hope Member

Nothing wrong with that, but its a good thing to have more hair. Mine's too straight to dread, but i#'m gonna go bald, so i'm gonna make the most of it while i'm young...

no thats it, nevermind the three little dots. and do me a favour, keep talking, everyone always seems to treat my threads as the last. its depressing. Seeya

10. WoodsCall

WoodsCall Member

Yep.

I bet that guy is awesome irl.

Unfortunately so many pepole do care about others' appearances, but to whomever EVER questions getting dreads while balding, go for it[​IMG]

11. Slang

Slang Banned

I'd give that guy a high five.

12. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i see alotta dreads balding..no big deal at all

my dads had a bald spot bout 2-1/2 inches ever since he was 16 so figured i might geta bitta baldin young too..mines the opposite and just gets thicker and thicker

maybe this makes no sence but seems if u start dreadin b4 u start baldin u wont be losin much

13. Reverend_Loki

Reverend_Loki Member

Strapping young lad \m/

(the guy in the pics is Devin Townsend, btw, and he is Metal as FUCK)

14. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

i have a theory....

that a lot of balding is caused by un-natural factors such as stress, chemicals, etc...

and dreading your hair before you start going bald, thereby reducing the chemicals you use on your head, as well as the life of most dreadheads is somewhat less stressed than the average short-haired yuppie preppy person....

and maybe dreadheads will be less likely to bald??? it's a theory anyway.

15. ezydriver

ezydriver Member

I agree with you to an extent, nakedtreehugger. In reality though, many of the factors you list only really contribute to balding a little bit. The big contributor is genetic.

It is a bit like saying that chemicals and stress and lifestyle is a cause of ageing. True, they accelerate the process, but the ageing process is programmed into us and will happen regardless. The same principle applies to balding, unfortunately. Its programmed into the genetics and there is little that can be done. It is a shame for people who regard their locks as precious.

I'm not sure if losing the locks that sprout from your crown is anything to worry about.
    It is a very unusual and rare thing to see. I have only ever seen one man in real life, at a festival, who was completely bald on his crown, but had really long red locks coming from the back and side of his head.

However, beauty is subjective and very much in the eye of the beholder. So I guess if you have the confidence to do it, and genuinely don't give a shit, that confidence will shine through and people may well secretly admire the confidence.

Its just a damn shame as I personally think a whole head of locks is a touch more impressive. Damn the balding gene. Women are so lucky. I can't imagine what it must be like to know you're never going to go bald. The only thing you have to do is to just wait for your locks to form. You don't have the extra worry of wondering if you will actually have hair in certain places by the time they are formed.

16. Pat__

Pat__ Banned

LOL I was gonna post the exact same picture

17. scatteredleaves

scatteredleaves Smelly Hobo

lol at that ad.
    i was talking to my friend about that skullet dude. i think its badass.
    i think it would look sweet if he got tattoos on his forehead, thats what i would do.

18. daisymelan

daisymelan Professional fence sitter

Wow, the marketers aren't slow on trying to show dreaded people on how to grow their hair. Dude, it's called market research!! lmao!!!

At any rate, I have never seen a balding dread head. I am sure I would smile and think that he's a pretty happy chappy.

19. fallingsky

fallingsky Member

who is that skullet man?!
    I want to hear his music, he looks pretty epic.

20. Pat__

Pat__ Banned

Devin townsend

Plays guitar and vocals for Strapping Young Lad and some other projects